The price of upgrades

The price that you pay for upgrades and improvements to software is that things break. No matter how careful the software developer is, it happens. I stayed with the legacy pre 2.0 Roon and have had flawless problem free performance since last year. Most of the upgrades are Arc related which is not worth giving up internet free usage for me so the upgrades so far have not made me regret that choice. I use other options for remote access that work great for me. Fortunately Roon has had the courtesy of letting us legacy users stay on the old software (for which I am very grateful). Still, reading the posts on the group really highlight for me how the upgrade cycle inevitably causes these problems. So try to remember that by giving you the updates and improvements that you want you have to inevitably face these problems and try to go with the flow.

2 Likes

How much longer are they giving you on 1.8 before forcing you to upgrade? It’s time limited right?

I’ve found 2.0 to work pretty well. Only stability problems I had were hardware related (fried RAM stick), thought the 100% Internet thing is still a major sticking point for me. We have regular dropouts which can cause minor interruptions and the other day we lost Internet for large chunks of the day which meant no music, even my local files. That is unacceptable when 1.8 has proven that it can run great without always-on Internet!

1.8 can, 2.0 can’t. Stay on 1.8 if you want to. Obviously, it’s not unacceptable or you would have switched to 1.8 long ago.

I think their commitment was that we can stay on 1.8 for the foreseeable future. I have not seen any message that suggests a termination. It works great for me so I am very happy where I am at for now. Well see if they ever change that policy or do upgrades that are important enough to get me to get back on the upgrade train. In the meantime I am happy where I am and grateful that Roon left this option for those of us who don’t want to be tied to the internet for access to our libraries.

I did. And I am very happy with that choice. Did you kinda miss the start of the thread? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, you were being condescending to the other poster. Chill. If you are happy with 2.0+ and Arc enjoy. My post was just observing the natural hardships inherent when software is upgraded and how we should not complaint about it if we want upgrades.

I know. Like I said, you were being condescending to the other poster. Got it. Enjoy your preferred version of Roon and respect the opinion of others. Whether you like 1.8 or 2.0+ is a matter of what you value in the software. Fortunately they’ve provided the option so that both views can enjoy the best software in the market.

That’s what I said. Use 1.8 if you don’t want the internet dependent version.

I think it is unacceptable to have the future of the product tied to always-on Internet. Support for 1.8 for an unspecified amount of time is not a long term solution, although I don’t use any of the he Arc functionality, so after the playing gaff last week I may jump back to it regardless.

I don’t think I’m being overly needy, I’m not asking for rich meta data or any fancy functions without Internet, just the ability to play local music when there is no Internet connection for a bit.

2 Likes

Vote on the feature request though it probably won’t change much. That’s all there is to do other than setting up some kind of workaround like a DLNA server or preparing to tether the router to the phone

2 Likes

Already voted! But like you said, I don’t think it will change anything.

1 Like

You will have to pry 1.8 out of my dead hands :crazy_face:
No way I’m giving up the ability to play music if I lose my internet, which happens often. It especially makes no sense to me given that most of my music is played from local files.

3 Likes

We do have spotty internet here also. Cox has frequent fades, usually short and periods of high packet loss. Roon should be designed to operate well in an Internet best effort is sometimes not so hot environment. Like Ubiquity Unifi, it should function locally when the local network is islanded. Please cache the session tokens.