The Roon Experience on iPadOS

All the best ones are. Not going back to a cheapo unmanaged network switch again… it’s not the 90’s! But no, it couldn’t possibly be the network switch. The network switch is connected to the endpoint, not the core.

There is nothing wrong with unmanaged switches. Why, oh why do you think that managed switches are superior to unmanaged switches? :yawning_face:

I suggest that before you start criticising unmanaged switches without qualification, you do some research on networks.

And your problem points to your network. Period.

Thanks, but I do have qualifications - I’m also a consultant in the industry making a decent wicket.

Your qualifications are irrelevant. And so is your ‘wicket’? :smirk:

What is relevant is that you post on this forum complaining, and looking for help, and then you flatly refuse to listen to reason.

I speak from experience. I bought a managed switch by mistake to work with my Nucleus, and I had awful problems. I then swapped the managed switch out for an unmanaged switch, and haven’t had one problem since.

If you insist on persisting with a crappy Roon experience, then just ignore all the good advice myself and others have offered you.

Happy listening! Or maybe not…? :crazy_face:

So I was not qualified to speak on the matter, and now that I state actually I am qualified, it’s irrelevant? Which is it? No they aren’t irrelevant, and no you aren’t helping.

I’m not going to go out and buy a cheapie network switch when I know mine is perfectly fine & the HP Procurve is NOT connected between the Core and the iPad.

So if you’d like to help, what tests would you like me to demonstrate between my iPad and Core to ease your sincere concerns?

I thought you said you had knowledge about networks? If you did, you would know that the switch itself doesn’t have to be connected to your iPad. The problem is, the managed switch is in your network. And it probably shouldn’t be.

Without the risk of repeating myself, I (and probably many others) would recommend that you change your managed switch for an unmanaged switch such as this one:

Mate, you have no idea what you’re talking about. Zero.

And nor do you.

At least I speak from experience of using a managed switch in my network, having problems, and then seeing a massive improvement in using an unmanaged switch. You don’t.

Enjoy your frustration with Roon. It looks like you deserve it!

You honestly shouldn’t be on here giving an advice, especially to do with anything network related. You have a lot to learn.

I enjoy Roon without any problems whatsoever. It’s faultless. And it’s a joy to use.

Do you? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thanks mate, I think you’ve trolled enough. Time to move on.

1 Like

@Martin_Kelly you are not really being helpful here. I know you have pointed the poster in the right direction, but this thread is deteriorating quickly.

Like Martin I have also moved from originally having managed switch to a house full of GS108 device’s. These are not crappy devices at all but decent switches that just don’t happen to have lots of management capabilities. There is a management version available if you want to give it an IP address and to monitor.

I am not questioning your skills, but what are you using the management capabilities on this switch for Vlans? Anything else.

Sometimes simpler is better with Roon due to the way the RAAT protocol work’s. It’s less of a skill thing and more of an experience things.

Going to leave it at that for now

1 Like

So just to confirm here, the iPad is OK on other applications etc.
Core is Ethernet connected, core responds quickly directly?

Personally if best practice has been followed, id ensure the core and iPad both have fixed IP addresses and give everything a quick reboot.

My iPad Pro is instant for navigation but will take maybe 5 seconds in the morning to download the new daily mixes. Plus my core is only on an i5 NUC.

This looks like an issue somewhere on your network.
Are the core and iPad both on the latest versions?
Any local wi-if routers looking like they are using the same channel?
If you start playback from the core do you have any issues?

2 Likes

El cheapo $12 unmanaged switch.
No issues…

1 Like

I’m amazed how people can hear the difference between mp3 and lossless on a boom box but can’t hear ‘network problems’.

2 Likes

If the OP wants run a managed switch, let him by all means do it. If he is a network expert, he will figure it out and maybe let us clueless others know. Classic trolling behavior could be observed in this thread and a few took the bait…

1 Like

I run a fully managed switch and ap UniFi network no issues for iPads or phones to connect to connect to core and more than a dozen endpoints wired and wifi.

@Akerow I would say uninstall and reinstall roon on the iPad for a start. Also I’m moving this to the #support area and hope support will also chime in after the weekend queue is worked through.

You might like to give more specific network, os and roon version information for your setup and hardware specs .

Sincere apologies if my posts have been interpreted as ‘trolling’. That was never my intention.

I was just frustrated that the OP was simply labelling his problems as a ‘Roon issue’, when I know from bitter experience that the majority of problems we face as Roon users are network-related, and the OP wasn’t even open to entertaining this possibility.

Apologies.

2 Likes

And to be fair you where not willing to entertain his views either. Another thread derailed by others thinking they know more than they do. Roon is far more stable on my managed network than it ever was with any unmanaged network I used before. That was as simple as it could get. Virgin hub in modem mode, netgear nighthawk wireless router that was it. Constant issues with remotes. Unifi manages network works flawlessly.

@Akerow it does look like a network discovery issue of some kind. How is your wireless network configured ? Is your core connects to the same Asus router? t will be communication between that and your core where I would look into for testing not the Ropieee side as all remotes talk to the core. Make sure nothing is blocking MDNs and other mulitcast traffic as these are needed for Roon to work properly.