The Roon Ready Promise & the Case of the Bluesound 2i

Thanks for the info :slight_smile: I did discuss this with Roon support at the time but to be honest I wanted to move away from Sonos in any case. I found the sound difficult to live with. Many others like it though.
Cheers

Sonos sets a very high bar for reliability and usability, in my experience. The only issue I have with Sonos + Roon is that, for my older speakers, Roon will not “let go” after playback stops. So, when my family goes to use the Sonos app, I have to reboot my older Play:1 and Play:3 models.

The newer Play:5 and Playbase speakers I have: no issues at all going back and forth between Roon and Sonos playback.

What has @ben said about that?

Hi,

IMHO switching to Sonos Port is not a good solution, because BlueSound sounds so much better. I know this because I have both a BlueSound Node 2i and a Sonos port sitting next to each other, soundwise there is no contest.

That being said, when used with Roon, Sonos supports Wifi flawlessly while the BlueSound node 2i had all kind of problem, making it almost useless.

The solution is to stop using Wifi and connect your device with a cable to your router or some kind of Ethernet access point. Personnaly I use an old Asus router that I had, configured as an access point. But I’m pretty sure you could use one of those meshed network access point (Google Wifi seems to be one of the best as it can automatically pick the best wifi channel) or event one off those Ethernet bridges plugged in power outlet, and you connect a cable to that.

Since I use a cable I can use my Blusound Node 2i with Roon without any problems whatsoever

1 Like

Don’t really have an option for wiring some players. Dropped players from the BluOS app is a really pain. Yep, none of the wired players ever have this issue. Even my WiFi printer can remain connected all the time.

I am a dealer for Roon Nucleus and many Roon end-points including Lumin, Naim, Linn etc. plus NAD / BluSound. Also Airplay to Cambridge and Technics.

We have never experienced issues with BluSound. All components are hardwired to a switch / Nucleus, which is forty feet away from the components. When it comes to trouble-shooting streamers, 99% of the time it’s a network issue, not hardware.

1 Like

Whatever might be said, users like us base performance or reliability of a device on personal experience and my personal experience (with an excellent Plume Wifi system) is that Bluesound does not handle mesh points very well. They tend to be perfect if they don’t choose to move around, but when then do they do not transition gracefully.

Andrew from Bluesound has said they are working on putting in code to handle this situation better, so it is an obvious issue.

https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4918&sid=dda0ad1e5f154b026e5901bbddd9f076&start=30#p25330

1 Like

The issues described in the initial post of this tread is exactly what I have been living for a year.

I agree in a way about the decertification but after purchasing 2 Flex and 2 Nodes and 2 new routers it won’t solve my problem to decertify them. It will help the next users though.

After wiring my two nodes 2i at great pains and expenses they now work fine but overall in multi-room listening problems still persists as the wireless stack of my two flex 2i still create issues. I bought two more routers which I meshed and are less than 5ft from the flex on their own 5ghz network (yes I built a separate 5ghz with its own SSID and a channel not used by anyone else in the neighborhood just for two flex and a roon controller. And STILL same issues. Zero network issues or drop outs in my house and speed is lightning fast to my ROCK roon core.
Unless these Bluesound devices are wired they don’t work properly in a multi-room setup.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for this. In my interactions with them they never admitted they were working on these problems, althought I asked them specifically.

I am confident this will get sorted out at some point, it can’t be that complicated.

Meanwhile I installed Google Wifi at home and both my BlueSound devices are connected to Google point with a cable. No problem so far.

Wired is perfect. Bluesound just has trouble with mesh points in my experience.

Sorry, it is not perfect. In my setup, the Node 2i is truncating the first 1/2 second at the start of an album. Or the track, if you skip around.

So sorry. That’s awfully. How goes the troubleshooting to get it fixed?

I’ve stopped reporting anything to Bluesound. It’s a waste of my time.

2 Likes

Did you try their online support area or the forums? Then at least everything is logged and in the public domain so they may just be more inclined to answer. Again, it’s all a bit pants.

See my previous comment.

Basically you eliminated WiFi.

Not completely. The Bluesound Flex 2i is operating on WiFi, same as my Macbook pro zone (to Bowers Wilkins MM1). It is only the soundbar 2i that is ethernet wired. Works quite well so far although I am still encountering the truncation problem that @Krutsch has reported.
Cheers

I have the same truncation problem with 2i and Roon Rock

For what it’s worth, I updated to the latest Roon (1.7) and the latest BluOS (released 2-3 days ago?).

Tested this last night and noticed that the truncation problem is still there. And, my Node 2i has trouble staying connected to Roon via Wi-Fi, when idle. When Roon is playing to the Node 2i, it does remain connected.

Anyway, I have to get serious about finding a replacement Roon end-point.

Sadly I suspect there will come a time in many Bluesound owners’ lives when they reach the same conclusion.

FWIW I found Lumin a good replacement for the Node - leaving aside any discussions of audio quality, I like their engagement on this forum and fairly frequent firmware updates to fix bugs or keep pace with RAAT developments. They are perhaps more tied to Roon than Bluesound are (particularly if you’ve seen the Lumin Android app!), which can only work in the customer’s favour. Of course, there’s plenty of other options, both cheaper and more expensive.