➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2022-03]

I imagine that it won’t be long (if it hasn’t already happened) before some new and reissued vinyl is marketed as being 100% analog, with no digital in the manufacturing chain.

WOW that’s a lot.
All of mine from the early to mid 80s are still in Mt attic in Record boxes, though no idea how they will be after 30 years up there :see_no_evil:

I quite like the idea in principal for vinyl, but I have invested heavily in CDs from the 60s to the 80s almost all of which was recorded in analogue :grin:

Some of my best sounding LPs were produced in the early days of CDs when vinyl was already starting to lose its market dominance and yet the quality of vinyl playback was near its peak.

1 Like

I remember buying early CDs like Suzanne Vega’s first album and seeing the dreaded AAD stamp on it, but I also had it on vinyl and cassette.

Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound, NYC (one of the analog mastering gods)

I also have Vega’s second album, Solitude Standing, on vinyl but there is no mastering info on the jacket. The runout does say “Precision” and indicates DMM (direct metal mastering).

Now we are really into the weeds of vinyl.

1 Like

I think most records from the nineties are generally to be avoided but…
On the unfortunate flipside of that is they are generally more darn expensive if there is one that you just have to get to complete your collection simply because they were made in far fewer quantity so the “rarity” factor rears its ugly head.
Been there and done that, dont even look at the prices for some of Rush nineties and 2000,s records compared to CD!

1 Like

Now by 87 I think I bought solitude standing on CD as soon as it came out. I saw her on both tours though in the beat possible analogue way, singing right in front of me and I was only a few rows back. Fabulous :+1:

2 Likes

Soon……………

2 Likes

I bought an album by Sunn O))) on RSD that was proudly AAA so they put that on the label, but most new won’t be.

2 Likes

From Prestige Records via Acoustic Sounds.
Outstanding pressing, equal if not better than BlueNote.

Madness because one cut has Coltrane and Rollins duking it out.

1 Like

Yesterday I bought Michael Jackson - Dangerous, the double from -91’
That sounds great on Sony label pressings.

I am more and more cautious to generalize over specific periods or pressing origins, there are gems and pitfalls in all of those! :slight_smile:

@Michael_Harris

After all these years Luka still hits like a punch to the gut - lyrics, music and sonics! Oh those glorious analog sonics!

5 Likes

Is record store day a thing outside the US?

It dawned on me, I couldn’t get a copy of something released Saturday here and ended up getting a copy from Ireland.

But thinking about it, I wasn’t aware RSD was a thing elsewhere.

I’m expanding horizons so I ask.
Thank you.

Fantastic. I hope you enjoy it as much as you did when it was released. I think I am going to add this to my queue up next, but I have some Billy Bragg playing now so I might have to have Solitude in the morning.

I am aware of it, but it’s mostly from people like Springsteen that used to heavily promote it.

I used to regularly visit and spend lots of money at the world’s oldest record store, but I am too out of it now too know

1 Like

It works for me. I wasn’t able to find a copy here for under 20% markup.

Now I know to think global in my quest for odd stuff.
World’s oldest record store? Spillers.
I can google.

I’ve been a Suzanne Vega since her first album was released and I’ve followed her closely ever since. Well not that close, I’m not a stalker :laughing:

And yes, I always enjoy listening to Ms. Vega. I consider “Luka” a “holy song”, easily one of the best songs of the 1980s.

1 Like

Yes Spillers Records in Cardiff.
Used to take so much of my hard earned paper round money as a teenager :grin:

2 Likes

Yes when I saw her on the Solitude tour, she performed Tom’s Diner completely in the dark and most of the audience had no idea she had come on the stage until she started singing.
Followed it up with Lula and it was a fantastic night.

Ok this made me laugh :+1:t2:

1 Like

So it turns out that I had added this to the queue yesterday after we were chatting about it and it just started as Billy Bragg finished :grin: