➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2022-03]

This weekend is putting this in the garage, for the delight of my neighbours during the summer weekends.

5 Likes

One of the shaped lid pieces that clip into the base has broken off mine so i use a doorstop weight to ensure the lid is closed evenly. Its also obviously a rare earth metal anti-vibration-phlogiston device, which is handy.

1 Like

Funny that as both sides had broken off on mine.
I used an old big glass paperweight to do the same task.

Then on ebay i found in Japan a new lid and that cartridge.

Its only money…lol.
Not sure if i need the paperweight still for its pyscho acoustic properties though :thinking:

1 Like

Is yours a Japanese market 100v model?

UK 230v.
It’s second hand (at least) i had one around 1980 then “upgraded” to a linn, then went completely digital.

1 Like

Sounds good, hope the rebuild goes well.
Need pictures of it playing when completed :blush:

2 Likes

When is it a good time to listen to NRBQ?

Any time!!!

6 Likes

Did you boys set me up for this :rofl:
A whole email full of record deck offer’s and nothing else. I haven’t even got my amp up to speed yet

:moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

4 Likes

If it’s got an input it’s up to speed!

3 Likes

I didn’t I’d have sent a working player.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Paul, just PM’d you my address :rofl:

You seem like the reliable type unless some of these miscreant trolls that just want me to spend the rest of my life in poverty hoarding vinyl… now that I have said it out loud it doesn’t sound that different to where I am now :roll_eyes: :speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

Promise you that this wasn’t me boy’s :rofl:

1 Like

With respect to Record Store Day:

Is there any way to tell if a nice new black vinyl platter is 100% analog, you know like back in the pre-digital age? Do the jackets proudly bear an “AAA” symbol? Analog recording, analog mastering and, of course, analog playback.

This is a serious question. Most, if not all, modern recording studios are at least part digital and most, if not all, modern mixing and mastering is done in the digital domain. The same thing applies to reissues of analog recordings - was the remastering done in the digital domain?

1 Like

I think pretty much anything new is all DDA or at least a very high percentage. Others here are much more knowledgeable than me, but they tell me that they still get the analogue sounds.
PS Audio has some good videos on this and why it still sounds great

So digital audio is NOT the bogeyman but rather how one plays that digital audio. Or perhaps it’s that the people who make vinyl have better DACs then the rest of us. Sounds like pure marketing nonsense to me. Something recorded, mixed and mastered in digital is digital regardless of where in the playback chain the DAC is located.

1 Like

I did not even realize it was RSD yesterday when I visited my LRS.

He did not seem surprised when I walked in and went right past all his RSD stuff without even a glance at them and straight into the back to dig through the real records :grin:.

I must have been there too many times as he already knows me…lol

2 Likes

That’s been my thoughts all along, but the guy’s here all listen to a lot of digital as well as vinyl (cassettes and Betamax etc). They love themselves some vinyl and it’s not only because they are old :roll_eyes:

The general consensus put forward by Darko and Steve Gutenberg was that is you can buy an excellent digital playback system for $2k-$3k, but only a mediocre vinyl system. I have excellent digital systems at that price range but no vinyl playback option. Though my new amp has 2 good MC and MM input stages so one-day… :see_no_evil:

It’s good to know that I’m not alone in my bewilderment over the current obsession with what is analog (aka vinyl) playback of essentially digital recordings. Every record that I posted on this thread is a pure 100% analog recording and it is being played on a pure 100% analog system.

It’s not that I don’t like digital recordings but if the recording was made digitally then I feel that it is best played on a digital system.

1 Like

So probably most music after 1989 is out the window for vinyl for you then (I am going to imagine 80% after that, but I am making it up).
Much higher after after 2000 I would guess

And the sad thing is that once you finally add a good turntable to your system you still have to find those pre-digital, aka analog recordings, LPs to play. I’m lucky in that I never discarded my vinyl once CDs and then streaming came along, so I now have around 3,000 100% analog LPs (with most of them in excellent condition) in my vinyl collection. Which of course means that I have little “new” vinyl since I consider all “new” vinyl to have been digitized somewhere in the manufacturing chain.

1 Like