➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2022-03]

4 Likes

Bit of music for my lady, but I admit I like it, too. :upside_down_face: Recording sounds gorgeous.

6 Likes

Show us your holiday music on vinyl!

Here’s one of mine, all analog and beautifully recorded. Your eyes do not deceive you: the little sticker does say $5, which used to be the going rate for a slab of slightly used vinyl. This record is from 1983 and I probably picked it up used sometime in the mid 1980s.

2 Likes

Some Cohen tonight.

11 Likes

an excellent choice.

1 Like

8 Likes

I guess that this album is partly responsible for my eclectic taste in music. I was 12 years old when this was released and it was the first TR album I had heard in full. Life changing for me.
As an aside, the vinyl album is pretty much gapless…the standard Qobuz version (via Roon) plays fine, but the Hi Res version is unlistenable, due to the gaps.

7 Likes

I don’t remember if anyone mentioned Marcus Roberts before but even if he has been mentioned before he’s so good that he deserves a second mention. Available on Tidal and Qobuz.

Here’s a bonus one in honor of the holiday season. This one is a solo piano recording and may be a bit hard to track down.

5 Likes

Here’s another one from Todd Rundgren. The record prior to A Wizard, A True Star. This one came out in 1972 when I was still in high school. This is an original release double album complete with the lyric insert and a great photo in the gatefold. Available on Tidal and Qobuz

9 Likes

Excellent. I don’t have the lyric sheet with my vinyl version :frowning_face: It’s a great TR album and I love the inner sleeve photo, taken at Astral Drive, his rented home at the time, in the Hollywood Hills.
I have a canvas copy of the inner sleeve as a backdrop on my TR CD shelf.

P.S. Check out the below video. The artist (Phil Thornalley) made a whole album based on the sounds of TR. It’s a very clever tribute. There is a brief clip of the Todd album vinyl playing in the video.

Astral Drive - Summer Of 76

2 Likes

That is so cool. I don’t have any dedicated shrines but I music related art and decorations throughout the house.
The lyric inset is one long sheet folded into four panels/pages. Lyrics on one side and photos on the other. I don’t remember if I bought the record new or used but it’s still in good shape.
Amazing that so many of my records survived my high school and college years. Unlike many of my friends I always treated my records with care and respect plus I bought the best turntable I could afford at the time(s). Used a Shure V-15MR for many, many years on various turntables. Of course if one my friends actually convinced me to lend them one of my records, well you could kiss that record good bye since even if returned (a rarity) it was often pretty well trashed.

3 Likes

@Jazzfan_NJ . Great story. When we were young, exchanging vinyl was the easiest way to expand musical knowledge amongst friends. When you hit your sixties you realise how amazing it is that some of those original vinyl purchases have survived and are still playable! I am by no means an audiophile. I like to think of every little click and pop as a memory of the past. :smiley:

1 Like

And that they survived the great CD era sell off or multiple moves or flooded basements or hot attics or divorce or children or any number of other potential disasters :grin:

2 Likes

Hallelujah! :palms_up_together:

1 Like

And I’m sure if they could have figured out a way to make CDs from recycled records we would be without many of our cherished albums.
Small mercy’s…

3 Likes

A recording from 1978, with a very young Anne-Sophie Mutter.

8 Likes

Some controversial vinyl maybe :wink:

7 Likes

Why should that be controversial? I’m not a Johnny Cash fan, but I think that album is a celebrated Johnny Cash album by critics and fans.

1 Like

The thing is not the album. It’s more a vinylised CD in a Vinyl thread :wink:

2 Likes

Ah. A strange beast indeed.

(I need my reading glasses prescription amped up)

Happy whatever Holiday you observe.

2 Likes