➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2024]

New year, new thread!

5 Likes

Just got out the pretty entertaining Denon DL-103 in a Midas aluhousing. A cart with a positive attitude, making you shake your rumpa’ or take the missus for a spontaneous dance!

7 Likes

And on the other side of the rack, this just entered!

A mid tier cart from DS Audio, the DS W3. After trying their entry level DS E1 and being completely blown away, i had no hesitation to dip my toes further in the optical cartridge waters!

And this is truly remarkable, i can only advise to try out the optical carts and equalizers from DS Audio (or equalizers from other makers, like EMM Labs, Soulnote etc).
This is not a subtle advancement, and really, really good, even for the money!

7 Likes

Showing my age.

5 Likes

Theres an interesting article in this months hi-fi news with definitive so called audiophile vinyl releases.
After the MOFI admission that not all their albums are analogue they new state when they have used a digital stage.
The mag mention this. MOFI albums like Hotel California aren’t analogue and have a DSD stage. They are charging £140 for whats basically a CD.
You can get the uk 1st pressing for less than £10 inc postage.
I just wonder some times what world we live in. I certainly don’t inhabit the same world as the people who buy such product as the MOFI stuff.

For some, it’s a world driven by convienience and greed. How easily and cheaply can we get this product out, and charge the most for it?

Of course that’s a blanket statement and doesn’t apply to everyone. But we all know these people and companies exist.

There still are good people and companies out there though.

This place says they do all analog pressings and explain their process.

https://chasingthedragon.co.uk/

I have an order for several albums on vinyl with them. Plus I bought the DSD and some PCM versions as well. It’s good stuff.

This statement is incorrect. MOFI make a flat DSD256 transfer from the original analogue master tape, which is audibly undistinguishable to the analogue master.

They are not therefore selling you a CD.

Have you actually heard this MOFI release? I have it, and it sounds absolutely stunning.

1 Like

A lot of the preference for vinyl over digital (CDs, downloads, streaming) has to do with dynamic range and dynamic range compression. Darko explains things fairly clearly in this video:

5 Likes

My new cart arrived, now enjoying a Hana MH.
Listening to Acetone - 1992-2001.

5 Likes

Not completely a virgin with vinyl, but has been 20+ years.

A Fluance RT81 with an AT 95E
Audiolab 8300CDQ
Rotel RB971 MK2
Wharfedale Evo 4.1s

Wonderful start to this rabbit hole journey

7 Likes

OOH but Woop Woop :+1:

I bought that version of the album for my son as his first vinyl album. I remember it being quite dirty and noisy so it required a couple of cleans

Welcome friend to a lifetime of poverty :astonished::rofl:

5 Likes

Enjoy! Looks very good, and a great album, too.

2 Likes

I can only blame you guys for this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, cleaning equipment is on order.

But my dishwasher will suffice for now (joke) :rofl:

3 Likes

Actually I didn’t get that on the sexy blue vinyl.
Might have to get that one for myself :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Skint, but happy!! :rofl:

3 Likes

I was being unusually brief as walking toy seat at the football :grin:
Yes absolutely :+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

Thank you.

It is an adequate start to a never ending journey I believe. One I’m sure will see a phone stage upgrade next (one built in).

Always love Kind of Blue. My go to Sunday morning album.

This sounds so much better than the CD version I have.

Hasn’t quite brought tears to my eyes. I’m a man :rofl:

3 Likes

I still think it’s strange that we still collect these 12-inch bits of plastic, especially since we can stream the same music at the push of a button?

But I’m so glad I hung onto my turntable and records, when it was mothballed thirty-years ago. I was very close to getting shot of the lot then. It now brings me so much pleasure.

I have a good friend who got-rid of his turntable and records in the past, and now regrets it.

ENJOY Lewis, and welcome to the club!! :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks Martin (no :heart:s to give ATM)

I had forgotten how different, nice vinyl sounds.

Streaming just hasn’t given me the pleasure once had by CDs, hence my rebuilding of my CD collection.

Being of an age I am, I now get the time to sit and appreciate music far more than I did in my teens, 20s and 30s.

COVID brought things home for me, quite literally. Life is not just for making ends meet, working every hour in the day and raising a family etc etc.

It’s about having fun, enjoying yourself, enjoying time with others. Sharing experiences. Rasing my kids is ace by the way :wink:

The music is great, this forum is fun, sharing and (virtually) enjoying my time with others.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said :hugs:

2 Likes