There are plenty of software providers who trust users to run 2, sometimes more copies

There are plenty of software providers who trust users to run 2, sometimes more copies, because they have more than one device at home.

Roon does not allow this. I’ve asked, they refused. I want to as I have two servers in my house, a QNAP and an Innuos.

Up to 1.8, I would sometimes switch server, mostly running Roon on the Innuos, which is why I bought the Innuos in the first place. As Innuos Sense improved, I put Roon on the QNAP, which required the Innuos to be de-authorized, and listened in my main system using Innuos Sense.

Roon 2.0 works on my QNAP. ARC only works on my home network, I have neither the technical skills nor interest to run it outside. I have not tried to run Roon 2.0 on my Innuos as I would have to de-authorise the QNAP copy and I fear it would never work again. So I have no idea what version of Roon I have on my Innuos and I will likely never use it again. Innuos Sense 2.2.1 is a great piece of software, it sounds better and I can now use it multi-room on all of my 11 Roon zones in uPnP mode.

I cannot group zones with Sense as I can with Roon. The problem with Roon Groups @Danny is that it groups zones but does not have the facility to group volume control. The zones I group, usually 4 zones in a large part of the ground floor of my house, are grouped with Alexa, and I can listen to music using voice control if I want (and do), as the devices have Amazon HD built in. I can then just tell Alexa to increase or reduce the volume, with Roon you have to open the app and move 4 sliders separately.

Whereas Roon never failed me for 3 years, I’ve just lost trust in it. They seem to have screwed up a perfectly good product. FWIW, in my opinion if Roon wanted to provide external access, they should have created a separate App called Roon Mobile or something.

I fear that Roon will take its eye off the ball and fail to develop Roon’s core home automation features because the ARC app is very basic and clearly ARC and mobile needs a lot of work. Currently Innuos on my main system and Alexa/Amazon elsewhere work for me better than Roon.

There is a group volume (and mute) control, but it is by button. There is just not a group slider control…

The slider could be a useful addition - if you think so, you can always post about it in the #feedback:feature-suggestions category of the forum…

1 Like

Why?

//////

I have a QNAP for business and personal use. I bought an Innuos for audio. Different players have different features. It was useful to use Roon on my main system because Roon has booklets, whereas Sense does not. Before Roon had booklets I used to use Roon and look upon the booklets on the Qobuz app. Sense seems to sound better than Roon on Innuos.

With Roon 1.8 it was only one click to switch between Roon and Sense on an Innuos player, so easy choose which player to use, but you did have to deactivate Roon Core if it was running on another server.

Sorry, I just don’t see why you want two Roon Cores and the two different Roon databases that implies, but that’s ok.

I can’t say I worry about the database. It looks after itself.

Roon allows 1 active core per license. You can have more than 1 license, you just have to pay.

Your licenses be with separate accounts, or, have both licenses on one account. The latter being attractive as that means you can restore databases between cores.

It is ironic that you can’t have two cores active on the same closed network in the same property on one license, but you can use one core with ARC anywhere in the world (if you can get it to work and have solid internet).

Switching Roon Cores should be no different with Roon 2.0, are you seeing different?

EDIT… rereading your post it looks like you’ve not tried it yet as it seems there is a reluctance to update the Innuos to run Roon 2.0.

If that’s the case, and ARC is of little interest … have you considered remaining on 1.8?

That said, if having two Cores available are important then personally I think you should update the Innuos to Roon 2.0 as well.

Which ever way you chose I hope it works out for you.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why U need two cores at the same time

Which is exactly what they have done calling it ARC.

I experienced only one license per account and only one account per payment ID is possible. Quite ridiculous …

Nope, you can have multiple licenses per account. Quite a few people have them, including me.

1 Like

I was suggesting a separate app at the server end.

Why? It works perfectly fine with an arc connection or without.

Not really, it’s the same in so far as you have one streaming source, the core, and an unlimited numbers of endpoints & remotes streaming from the core. Now you can add ARC as an offsite streaming solution, but it remains the one streaming source

1 Like

I don’t understand what your issue is, but having two Roon cores is simple. You can switch from one to the other in about 15 seconds by deactivating one and activating the other. I do it all the time with a Roon Nucleus and Dell laptop.

If you want to use the same Roon Remote(s) to control both Roon cores, then you need both cores running either Roon 1.8 Legacy or Roon 2.0. Roon Remotes would need to be on the same version. You don’t need buy another Roon license to do this.

Roon ARC is Roon’s new “mobile” app. If you have no interest, don’t install it on your phone or tablets.

Because different players have different functions. Besides booklets, I like Roon filters as it allows me to very easily delve into different recordings of classical music. If I just want to play something at the best quality, I prefer to use Innuos Sense. If I want to listen to podcasts I use AirPlay, my wife uses Spotify Connect, which is onboard most of our audio devices.

The problem is that Innuos devices cannot have Roon and Innuos active at the same time. Lots of people use Innuos and I understand quite a few use Roon and Sense.

With Roon 1.8, when I fired up the app it gave me the choice of which Core server to use (QNAP or Innuos). It was very quick and easy. Currently with 2.0 it does not see the Innuos Core. I don’t know why.

I have a lifetime sub, so I don’t have to chose whether or not to pay, I just use whatever system suits me at the time. I’ve been using Roon today for casual listening, but with friends round I would probably just use Alexa and just tell it to play ABBA or smooth jazz (streaming from Amazon), and anyway after a gin or two I find the Roon app a little difficult to use.

Is the Innuos on v2.0 as well?
If not it will not be seen

Your understanding of the capabilities and features of Roon is causing your issues and “distrust”. I’ll try to help where I can but there is a lot to unpack from your statements.

Software licensing is complicated. Roon has decided to license per core. They kindly allow you to move this license whenever you want at the click of a button. This is actually a very good model. If you truly want two cores them you purchase a second license but, honestly, that’s not what you want so please keep reading.

As part of your Roon license you can run as many Roon Bridges as you want. That is, you can use as many Roon supported endpoints as you can put on your network. There is no additional licensing for endpoints.

You can run as many Remotes as you want. There is no additional licensing for remotes. You have 300 iPads in your home? You can run 300 copies of Roon Remote at no additional charge as its part of your Core license. It’s a fine model in my opinion.

There is difference between Innous as Roon Core and using Innous as Roon Endpoint. Innous, running Sense, can still be a Roon Endpoint. You do not convert the Innous to a Core just to play music on it. You can use it as an endpoint.

I think what you really want is to run Roon Core on the QNAP, run Sense on the Innous, go into Settings → Audio and enable the Innous as an endpiont. Boom, done, play music all day on the Innous from Roon. Use Sense whenever you fancy. You can live in both worlds with 1 Roon license and no need to move it around.

Then don’t run ARC. The fact people feel “slighted” by ARC because they never plan to use it confuses me to no end. I don’t feel slighted because I don’t use tags. I just can’t be bothered to use tags and life moves on.

de-authorizing is simply the ability to move the license from core to core. Nothing changes. Nothing is uninstalled. At any point relicense the QNAP, by deauthorizing the other core, and you’re back to normal. Roon is not licensed by version unlike other software.

Perfect! I’ve heard great things about Sense. Maybe some day I’ll be a customer as well.

Not according to your previous statement. Is this maybe a question for Innous?

It does but each zone needs volume control and that can get complicated. Others have already responded to this but… If you enable volume control on each zone then group them Roon has a very nice feature of relative volume control. It’s excellent and worth the time to get setup.

This is correct. Roon does not support voice control. Some users in tinkering have done some stuff to make this work but it’s certainly not plug & play. I don’t know if Roon will ever support voice control. It doesn’t seem to be a high demand features and most of us “audiophiles” don’t listen to music on those little speakers.

This isn’t needed. I think others showed you how to use one slider.

In your use case, there is absolutely no difference between 1.8 and 2.0. What do you think has stopped working?

They did exactly this. If you don’t use the ARC app your Core is not really any different in your situation.

So, the definition of home automation… Roon opened this up dramatically this past year. You’re not using “home automation” from your description of how you use Roon so I don’t entirely understand your complaint here.

This has zero to do with home automation. Additionally, you stated

So why the interest in bashing ARC?

Don’t forget its about the music. Happy listening.

5 Likes