Those who run Roon core on a computer? Do you just leave the computer on all the time?

For those who run Roon core on a computer, do you just leave the computer on all the time?

I’m sort of wondering what the best practice is.

I have found that I often don’t need access to my local files when I’m away from the computer. I can just run the Qobuz app and stream from Qobuz from there.

Yes, I believe that’s the way Roon Labs imagines it should work.

I run Roon “server” on a Win10 Pro x64 fanless system with SSDs only, all the time. The system never goes to sleep.

PC functions as both my Core & Output (I know, I know :wink: ). Never goes off.

I run my core on a purpose built Win10 server in another room. I turn it on when I get home or in the morning on weekends and leave it on overnight to backup every 3 days or so and otherwise turn it off with RDP when I go to bed.

I leave it on all the time.

My Roon core runs on a Windows 10 Home NUC 7i7 that also hosts my Plex server. It has 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB NVME SSD boot drive and a 2 TB internal SATA hard drive for music and video storage. I leave it on 24x7. It has been running this way since May of last year.

Tim

1 Like

My 5.1 Mac runs all the time, its only job is to serve up tunes.

Far more convenient to leave on all the time. I took my secondary MacBook Pro and relieved it of all unneeded applications and duties then dedicated it to Roon core. Can’t wait until it burns out so I can buy a Nucleus+.

Oh yes my computer also runs my Plex server and everything that goes along with that. My computer is a true workhorse.

24/7/365 here too unless I’m away and the house is empty in which case I will shut down the NAS’s and Core/Server machines and anything else that’s typically associated in my mancave (via an isolator switch) - more for issues of power loss and lightning caused surges.

That said I do use Disk hibernation on the NAS’s and WOL but the Roon Core hardware is always on while I’m in the town. I try to be a little bit green.:mage::earth_asia:

3 Likes

My Roon runs on a modest low power fanless 11” Acer laptop running W10. I changed the HDD for a 1TB SSD. It’s on all the time, but the lid is closed and the screen is off so I barely notice it. Roon runs great, as did J River. Nice and simple. Not sure I can see the point in changing it for anything else.

1 Like

iMac on 24/7.

I7 fanless on all the time.

My Roon server (+HQPlayer Emdedded) is an Intel NUC i7 (standard fan case in another room) with Debian Linux 9. It runs 24x7. I could configure a crontab to shut it down a few minutes after the daily backup, so I wouldn’t waste electricity and I would extend its lifetime. After all, its boot time are barely a few seconds and it wouldn’t be a big deal.

I think I will try it as far as I am the only Roon user and antoher important fact: I don’t run with frequent sync problems with Roon Core, HQPlayer Embedded and NAA, that it shouldn’t happen.

My rock i7 Nuc boot time is a few secs but once roon starts to load up my library I’m in jelly fish mode for a few mins normally. Same thing on windows and on my nas it’s even longer. So normally leaving things running is my normal MO. Power cycling hardware can also reduce its life…there is no right or wrong way…just what works best for you.

1 Like

So far, I didn’t notice that I can’t use Roon after the bootstrap process. I would say I can play music a few seconds after I push the NUC power on button.

I have read and heard a lot about what you say of power cycling, but in my experience I have not found any problem yet. I use a TP-Link smart plug with a schedule plan that powers on and off my network stuff and I have not had a single problem in years with any device.

I you say, everyone should use what works best for he/she. At this time, I am still on the 24x7 boat for my Intel NUC.

I have a 300,000 track library

1 Like

That’s a library!! :heart_eyes:

RoonServer running on Ubuntu server on an ancient laptop, powered up 24/7.