Those who run Roon core on a computer? Do you just leave the computer on all the time?

You can really save (the environment) by exchanging your class A amps for class D equivalents.

I’d like to see Rock implementing wake on lan, but it’s hardware dependent, and rules out WiFi.

Ironically, I’m sitting here typing that I have a low wattage PC and then it up and turned itself off. I probably just have to blow it out, but still, it must have been listening to this conversation…

1 Like

Now there’s a controversial statement! :wink:
As you point out, Class A amps are very ‘wasteful’ of energy, and end-up chucking most of their power out as heat. Class D amps are much more efficient.
However, some pundits maintain that they don’t sound as good as Class A amps. As the owner of Linn Class D Chakra power amps, I think they’re talking codswallop, IMO.

Yep all the time. 24-7-365.

I started off running RoonServer on my MacPro, I certainly didn’t want it running 24/7 and putting it to sleep sometimes causes syncing problems with endpoints.
Power is very expensive here in Australia, way more expensive than “Rip Off Britain”.
I also simply don’t like giving money to other people when I don’t need to, especially extortionate power companies.

BUT having my music quickly and easily accessible is important enough to me that I built a low power fanless server that is left on 24/7. The only time I turn it off is when we are away from home or for electrical storms.

I don’t particularly like my router being left on at night but it is used for for backup purposess, I do have the wireless turn off between 11pm and 6am. Many of you will think this is pointless but it doesn’t cost me anything to use the functionality that is already built into my router. If there was a way to schedule a low power mode at night and during the daytime in the week I would do so.

We have recently had FTTC NBN installed and now we have to pay for the power to run the DPU’s in the street outside. The modem supplies power over the existing copper line using a technology called Reverse Power Feed, to the DPU. I’d like to know how much it is costing me to run, the heat given off by the modem is incredible.

What are these?

Fibre To The Curb instead of Fibre To The Premises (FTTP). FTTC gives us fibre to a Distribution Point Unit in a pit out in the street, then from the DPU it’s a short run of copper into our home (about 30 metres for me). Each DPU supplies four houses, we are the only one connected to the DPU so far, so my modem supplies all the power to the DPU, the load is shared depending on how many Network Connection Devices (reverse power feed modems) are connected to the DPU. Very clever technology, the cheeky b*stards :grin:

Our government really stuffed up on our National Broadband Network, it was originally going to be FTTP to every premises, apart from country and outback. That was with a different government, then someone else got in and changed everything, making an utter mess with several different technologies. I’m lucky to have FTTC, Fibre To The Node can still give very long runs of copper, depending on how far from the node that you live and you can still end up with speeds no faster than ADSL2+.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/what-is-fttc-our-latest-network-technology

https://www.netcommwireless.com/news/press-release/netcomm-wireless-supply-distribution-point-units-dpu-nbns-fibre-curb-project

Yes, I gave up waiting; have a microwave connection – it’s great.

In answer to OP question, core running on i5 Ubuntu server, also running Plex. Upsamples to DSD128, which is all my Rotel gear will decode anyways. Convenience outweighs power bill.

1 Like

I run mine 24/7. Fairly low power Mac Mini which I think has been on for the last 2 years.

I turn off the computer at night ,but I use the less fancy Bluesound app with my node which is always on and it uses the music on the hard drive plugged into router which is always on , switching between the apps works perfect

Exactly what I did. Just bought a Nucleus last week and absolutely love it.

1 Like

I run my core on a 2017 Mac Mini i7, which is on 24x7. The only time I turn it off is if we’re going to be out of town for more than a couple of days, in which case I turn off the Mini and my NAS (more for potential for data corruption on the hard drives in case of a power outage longer than my UPSs can handle than for power savings, as power usage is really minimal).

I run a home-built core i7 PC, 16GB RAM, SSD for boot drive and 2 x 2TB for data (music and video library). As well as it being my main work PC, it is also the Roon Core and a Plex server.

I tried to make it as eco-friendly as possible (green HDDs, lower power CPU etc) and like one or two others have said, I use a BIOS timed switch-on each week-day at 17.30, and an auto-power-down each night at 01.30 with Task Scheduler.These are on the basis that weekdays I won’t normally be home before 17.30 and at weekends I can always manually fire it up earlier, if necessary.

I take the point others have made about the cost being negligible, and one air-flight cancels out the benefits to the tune of 200 years or whatever. However, I feel that misses the point that we could all think about ways we can reduce our carbon footprint. I’m no evangelist or green obsessive, but I was swayed by a magazine article which introduced the notion of just thinking about the green aspects as just another factor when looking at cost, performance, aesthetics etc.
So, in this instance, about 15 minutes time spent on a BIOS setting and a bit of typing into Task Scheduler makes me feel a little bit better and that I’ve thought about it. :smirk:

It’s not quite as convenient as a 24/7 server and I’ve more than once wondered why the music stopped at 01.31 when I’ve forgotten the time (!) But for me it’s a fair compromise.

I still use WOL sometimes though, and would love that as an option within Roon (as it used to be with one of my old Squeezebox apps)

3 Likes

If I’m home during the day I leave my old mac mini running, but I usually turn it off during night or when I’m not home for long hours…swithing on just takes a couple of minutes…it’s not a big deal in the end :slight_smile:

True. But I think we easily get distracted by visible things and make symbolic changes and feel good. Bill Gates had a quiz on his blog, and this was one question:

Which of these activities will reduce your personal greenhouse gas emissions the most over the course of a year?

1. Upgrading your light bulbs
  2. Switching to a plant-based diet
  3. Avoiding one round-trip transatlantic flight
  4. Replacing your car with a hybrid

(Correct answer: 3.)

Eating a plant-based diet saves only half the individual emissions of a roundtrip transatlantic flight – and neither makes a huge dent in reducing overall emissions. I don’t want to discourage people from taking personal steps to mitigate climate change (eating less meat has lots of benefits!). But if we’re going to reverse its course, we need big, systemic changes.

29% of the responders got this question correct.

As I said, I’m not over-zealous about this, and I fully reserve the right to completely contradict myself and appear completely hypocritical at times (I’m currently thinking about getting a 3 litre, 300BHP, V6 diesel engine car for example :blush:)

But I don’t think that negates the wish and the will to be more green. I’m just not very good at it at this stage, but I will get better, hopefully - if I regularly think about it and try to inform myself more.

In fact, you already proved my point. Just by mentioning my thoughts and discussing it here, everyone reading this is now better informed with your response on the topic…

Even if I don’t know all the answers, that is no reason to stop striving.

Voltaire:- "The best is the enemy of the good"

Will leave it there, and apologies for getting too off topic.

2 Likes

I too leave my Roon core running 24/7 - Its tiny, quiet and takes little power.

Its based on an Asus ITX-Mini mother board core i5-8600k CPU, w/ 2 NVME and 1 SSD for storage and 32GB memory with Windows 10. It has a mild overclock.

Yes…have an old desktop that I put Ubuntu 18.04, and am running Roon Core Server on it…works great; I stick it in a closet (so I can’t hear it) and forget about it!!!

1 Like

I have a Mac mini with SSD running the Roon core only. It runs all the time. The power consumption is so little, that the housing is just a little warmer thank the room temperature.

1 Like

Ok. I have been justifiably shamed into turning off my Pass Xa 100.5 amps when I don’t need them.
I won’t try to justify it. But listening to people trying to save 5 watts (an i5 Nuc at idle) just plain made me feel bad. It should.
FWIW, that’s about the equivalent of 60 Nucs running 24/7.
Thank you.
Shame on me.
Scott