Those who run Roon core on a computer? Do you just leave the computer on all the time?

My Roon Nucleus stays ‘On’ all the time. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
What’s more important to me? Instantaneous access to my music, OR a few pennies on the electricity bill, plus a bit more CO2 in the atmosphere? NO CONTEST! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
PS - Apologies to the next generation. My kids: I love you :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Of course, it is on all the time, you know it makes sense!

2 Likes

C’mon! Let’s pay our CO2 surcharge NOW! :money_mouth_face:

It is a challenge. The idea of wasted energy or using carbon footprint for no real use bothers me. But on the other hand this really is the underlying assumption with such a device.

It takes well too long for Roon to boot to make it practical to do so every time I want to “turn on the radio” to use an archaic analogy. And in the whole house model, going to the other side of the house to boot up the Roon core, and the server with the data, logging them in, waiting for Roon to load and scan, etc., would really diminish the amount I would use it. It would no longer be an instant thing but more like powering up the whole home theater to watch the news. Then doing the converse when done is just as unpleasant a thought.

Consider also that no one else in the house can boot up the system. So that means my wife or kids have to ask me to boot everything up so they can use it. What if I’m not home? Nomusic?

This may be a reason to re-think exactly what hardware I would use if and when I rebuild the system or modernize it in the future…finding devices that draw no power in standby but still offer instant-on service. At the core, data storage, and endpoint.

What I try to do is breathe as little as possible to reduce my own carbon emissions to balance it all out.

passes out…

6 Likes

Brilliant :sunglasses: I find the music calms me down and I breathe less…so that’s a win too.

1 Like

I’m looking for a clock work server …

Our power utility turns mine off daily , sometimes twice

But seriously I shut down daily so that at least windows closes properly. Add to that Johannesburg has real lightening ! 2 years ago I lost most of my hi fi due to a strike in next doors garden

Africa is not for cissies

I have a Mac Mini, that has been running continuously since 2011. Only restarted for software updates. Before Roon it was running Plex and other.

None of this applies to a ROCK’ed Intel NUC… or a Nucleus…

Press the power button and it’s ready to play music in seconds. Press the power button again to shutdown, if you want. No keyboard/mouse/monitor interaction required.

2 Likes

Yes, it does apply to a Nucleus. Switching it off will involve a slight delay, and yet another step in just ‘getting to the music’.
Which is why I leave my Nucleus switched on all the time.

Noted but I said it’s ready in seconds… i.e. not instant. And I was quoting his specific issues, not yours…

2 Likes

But it wouldn’t solve my specific issues either, other than a quicker boot. My wife still could not turn it on from the kitchen.

I am not downplaying the energy issue, but I’d sooner turn off my fridge. We need a new paradigm and a faster booting box isn’t it, or the all of it.

What exactly are your ‘problems’?
If you buy a NUC/Nucleus it should reboot from standby very quickly, a PC/MAC less so.
If that poses a problem for you, either operationally or for convenience issues, then just leave it switched on and take the ‘hit’ with power consumption. Simples!

Ah. I initially understood your wife and kids had troubles starting Roon Core, but I wasn’t aware (until now) that they wanted to boot it remotely…

But again, she could press the power button on end of the house and by the time she got to the kitchen, it would be ready to play music.

No problems. Just explaining why I leave my Win 10 Roon core running.

I you’d ever met my wife or tried to share tech with her, you’d understand why that idea is so tragically hilarious.

2 Likes

And she would have to turn on the network switch and the WiFi router and the cable modem and the iPad as well. If we are really going to be green.

1 Like

And she would have to turn on the network switch and the WiFi router and the cable modem and the iPad as well. If we are really going to be green.

Not the same. Those devices draw like 10 watts if that. If we’re talking about an actual computer, those can draw like 100 watts or even more. I have no idea how much power the Roon Nucleus draws, but it’s probably less than a ‘normal’ computer and meant to be left on all the time.

Right.
It’s 8 watts.

Ummm…
Where I am in the UK, keeping the Nucleus on ALL YEAR is gonna cost me a total of £9.81. In TOTAL.
Best I go and sell one of the children. QUICK! :wink:

My Win 10 core is a low wattage type. I had to do that for heat, so that it would not have fans running, anyway. Probably not as low wattage as a nucleus but that was the general philosophy I had when picking parts.

My Levinson pre-amp doesn’t even have a power switch. Last time it was accidentally unplugged while the amp was on, it blew a 6 foot tweeter. So no, my system is not designed to be perfectly green. But I don’t need heat up here.

It’s true that anybody who runs an old, less efficient computer needs to take special care, or consider replacing it. Just like somebody with an old car or old refrigerator.

The industry should get a lot of credit for work since the turn of the century to reduce power consumption. Specifically for powering down idle resources (cores, memory banks) so we don’t have to think about powering down the whole computer.

1 Like