Thoughts on Arc

That’s a HUGE if. Nonsensical IMHO, it’s for listening to music and using its interface to find out more (if one wishes to) about the music.

3 Likes

Two hours from London, and you’re up north? Well, I suppose everywhere past the Watford Gap is in the north of England! :laughing:

Happy Christmas everyone, and a safe journey to your family gatherings.

3 Likes

Not in my book. Takes 2hrs to Manchester on train when they run properly. Driving is a whole other matter and that takes all day to go 220 miles.

I have enjoyed ARC for all the reasons others have mentioned. However I use ARC with my iPad so would love to see a full page version. ARC for iPad?

1 Like

On the roadmap:

The point for me is when I am away from home and using Arc I am still using Roon adding music to my library getting played new music from Roon

Also when I am shopping for CDs I can check my library before I buy

In the past I have arrived home after buying unaware I had all ready had a copy

9 Likes

Oh so many times :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

More times than I would like to admit to

2 Likes

oooh this is a good point. I use discogs, but there are odd occasions where the discogs iphone app isn’t correct, and doesn’t show stuff that I KNOW I own.

2 Likes

Lol all the time buying 2nd hand CDs forget I already bought it.

2 Likes

Yes when in Cornwall last summer I was in one town with particularly poor mobile data so I could not check my Plex Library while shopping.
Well I ended up buying about 15 CDs in the charity shops and when I got back to my apartment I discovered I already owned 4 of them. Thankfully there are always friends who will accept them as gift’s :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Agreed stuart. There are many who don’t want arc, but have no way of turning it off. If they’re listening to their customers they should be working in adding that feature as well.

What I don’t get (and what makes it a little messy) is that there are two separate apps. Why not just let the regular Roon app connect to the core in the same way that ARC does? In that case you can use local/vpn/port forwarding or whatever solution you like all in the same app.

What is the advantage of having one app? At least now, Roon Remote works perfectly while Roon ARC, not so much. Everybody uses Roon Remote. A lot of Roon customers don’t use Roon ARC. I like having them separate.

2 Likes

Don’t use UPnP and don’t set up a port forwarding rule. ARC is now off

3 Likes

They answered this in a post somewhere. It’s because the networking stack of ARC is completely different. Combining it into one app would have taken longer and they didn’t want the wait. They think that there are certain advantages (and some disadvantages) in having one app and aren’t ruling out a convergence in the future

1 Like

Per @danny

You can not disable ARC, only the remote access.
ARC on the backend is used by Roon Remote as well. Disabling ARC in the Core would mean disabling parts of Roon Remote too.

To disable remote access:

1. Set the port to 0 in Arc Setup
  2. Disable UPnP on the router
  3. Delete any rule which may have been created prior to disabling UPnP

My thoughts exactly. No downloads of streamed tracks, no CarPlay, no point. The development effort could have been put to so much better use. The Qobuz app is all I need when I’m out and about.

Roon is not for “critical listening”. You can use it for critical listening, like many apps, but it does not add/subtract anything to/from the sound quality of the music in the way that your hardware will.

Remote access to your music library is one of the most obvious features that Roon was missing, and also one of the most requested by users.

The “plenty of straightforward alternatives” to ARC will certainly accomplish some things that ARC can deliver, but not everything. For instance, Apple/Tidal/Spotify/etc. will stream music that is available on these platforms, but it won’t stream music in your library that’s not available on these platforms. Other apps which stream from your NAS (e.g., those from the NAS manufacturers, Plex, Linn, etc.) let you access your entire library, but are not as cool as Roon. This is why we are Roon users here on this forum, and not discussing this on different app’s user forum. And if you’ve spent time grooming your Roon library, then ARC gives you the benefit of all that work outside your local network, where the others don’t.

I love this huge new feature. Keep rocking us Roon!

8 Likes

CarPlay exists. Streaming tracks download is not allowed by the streaming services. The rest is down to personal preferences: You are happy with streaming apps, I am not because my Roon is so much more. Can we stop seeing our personal preferences as universal?