Thoughts on Arc

Agree

Not for me. I did install the remote when joined roon. In a year maybe I used the remote for 15 minutes. Arc in a month for about 8 to 10 hours.

It doesn’t work with CarPlay, it puts audio through the car speakers as a Now Playing app after starting play on the phone, which would get you 6 points on your driving licence in the UK. I realise that no third party app can download tracks, but why would I want to use my data allowance when I can download using the native Qobuz app, which is also fully CarPlay compatible?

As for expressing my personal preferences, isn’t that what this forum is for?

1 Like

CarPlay is supported since build 99 of ARC as far as I can tell. [Edit: see below, it’s not yet generally released but it’s in earlyaccess testing]

Of course we can all express personal opinions, but it’s senseless if done like “I don’t need this, so clearly the resources could have been spent better elsewhere”.

I and many others prefer ARC over native apps because native apps can’t play tracks they don’t have, and they don’t show the correct credits that I have in Roon.

5 Likes

I prefer having my roon library and not exporting from roon to soundiz than to tidal just for 1h a day when I listen out of home.

2 Likes

It’s not coming up in the list of CarPlay apps on my phone, but I apologise for my rant. I must have woken up with the wrong head on.

2 Likes

I can’t find the specific release notes where CarPlay was released to the public, but it was released in earlyaccess with build 99 and many threads are giving feedback, so it seems to me that it’s publicly available [edit: not yet] - else it should be soon. But I don’t have a car, so can’t give details

I don’t think there’s carplay “integration” at this point.

I know that I definitely CAN control play/pause/next track, etc… from the carplay interface, but the ARC app isn’t visible.

All the playlist/library/album selections have to be controlled from the phone itself.

If i’m wrong, I’d love to see a screenshot of your experiences!

Seems that it’s not yet been released into production but it is available already in earlyaccess, so can’t be very long until it’s available generally

1 Like

Roon is working on a CarPlay integration, but it has not been released yet. They are testing in EarlyAccess.

Indeed, I got confused by the many releases and was wrong. Thanks for fixing :slight_smile:
Should hopefully be available for everyone soon, thanks to your tireless testing

I like the Roon ARC feature. It was finicky at first getting router to interface properly, but seems to work well now. I use it on longer trips, especially when I am going up to the mountain to Nordic skii (about a 65 minute trip). It only drops out when cell phone reception is lost for several minutes - the Roon team has done a really good job with storage on the phone. I haven’t tried the download option yet, but that will be a useful feature without using up phone data. I don’t expect high definition audio in my car stereo, but the sound is certainly better than radio (not many stations here). Only a few years ago I had trouble streaming high resolution on my home system - now works well. The Roon team has made a lot of advancements in the past 2 years!

4 Likes

ARC is the best thing since powdered milk.

6 Likes

I was excited to see ARC announced while I was away travelling - it was years overdue and most of us have found good workarounds (my library is much more cloud service centric now anyway) - but now I’m finally home thought I should set it up.

Firstly, had to completely update the OS on my Mac mini, which admittedly was out of date but had been running fine for years. That of course meant updating loads of other software too, and generally many hours spent messing around with it all just to end back with a functional setup.

Then I saw ARC was actually a separate App.

Yuk.

That to me is a horrible, messy solution and it was very unexpected. Don’t care what the reasons were, it’s a bad decision.

So I just downloaded the 1.8 ‘legacy’ version and installed it. If I’m using separate apps I’ll just stick with the way I’m doing it already. Hopefully one day this bad logic is removed and Roon becomes one App whether listening locally or remotely. Then I’ll probably look again!

1 Like

What’s so terrible about a separate app? I don’t get it.

The fact that you let your operative system get very badly out of date and most likely let it become insecure can hardly be blamed on Roon.

Why you would decide to revert to 1.8 and forgo a lot of nice new features apart from ARC, if you could have just not used the ARC app, is a mystery.

2 Likes

Rubbish!

It’s the best thing since sliced bread.

:grin:

.sjb

6 Likes

Wow I pretty much wrote both the last two responses out and then didn’t post them

I lacked the courage of your convictions :flushed:

2 Likes

same here
Powdered milk or sliced bread? pls help :flushed:

1 Like

Sliced bread with powdered milk on top. Bon apetit.

3 Likes

Best thing since sliced bread is an old British saying.
When I were a lad…(from another advert) We used to cut the bread with a bread knife and probably get 3 Sandwiches out of a loaf :rofl:

Never heard the powdered milk one so I imagine that comes from somewhere else.

oh, I see… thanks :slight_smile: