Tidal Album not playing on Roon

on the latest versions of Roon both client and server. Client: 2022 Macbook Pro running latest Sonoma ver 14.2.1.

Integrating with Tidal.

Unable to run any song from “Illusions” by Kalya Scintilla (Illusions by Kalya Scintilla on TIDAL) from Tidal, but can play other Tidal albums. When clicking on the first song, Roon tries to start it unsuccessfully, then jumps to the next, unable to play, jumps to next, and so on, tail it reaches the last song, at which point it stops.

I can play this album with no issues using Tidal app for Mac.

Plays for me. It’s an AAC stream. What’s your Roon server? You said client is a Mac but what about the server?

Synology NAS, running DSM 7.1.1.

Again, no issues playing other Tidal titles (on Roon), and the album in question plays fine on Tidal native app on my Mac.

Most other Tidal tracks aren’t in AAC format, and the Tidal app isn’t running on your Synology :slight_smile:

The issue is that you probably didn’t install the ffmpeg codecs on the Synology, which is necessary for AAC support. The Synology guys removed AAC support from their built-in codec because they had licensing concerns.

You can find the inductions here:
https://roononnas.org/de/synology-dsm7-2/

Thanks, @Suedkiez. I checked, and it appears I already have ffmpeg installed on the NAS. It resides in /bin directory:

Further, I checked the instructions on https://roononnas.org/de/synology-dsm7-2/ and they state:

"Extract the tar.xz archive and copy the ffmpeg from the extracted files folder into
<< Your selected database location >> / RoonOnNAS / bin"

I checked database location, there is no RoonOnNAS directory there, so I wonder if these instructions are outdated.

/bin and /RoonOnNAS/bin are two different directories.

/bin is a system directory. Like I and the instructions said, Synology do have an ffmpeg file by default, and I suppose this is the one in /bin, but it does not support AAC. So, as the instructions say, “However I have implemented a way to provide it manually.” You just have to follow the instructions, I suppose.

Or search the forum for Synology AAC and you will find a hundred threads about the same topic

Allright, solved. Followed this post:

Didn’t work at first, but then I remembered that I need to chmod 755 the file, restarted the server, and boom!

Thanks, @Suedkiez!

1 Like

Congrats :slight_smile: Happy you solved it! It’s frustrating when things like this get in the way. I hope you are already enjoying the music

Hi @xred,

Glad to hear things are working; thank you @Suedkiez for the prompt assistance here.

1 Like