Tidal Albums Don't Play

Hi All,

Am running into an issue where Roon refuses to engage / play any album in Tidal. If I play an album from a local file, it works flawlessly, but all albums in Tidal simply hang, with this cursor strobing back and forth.

If I use Tidal directly, the albums play immediately to all sources, including streaming to the same places where Roon is enabled. Signing in and out of Tidal on Roon ( as I’ve seen suggested when I search ) does nothing to address the issue, nor does restarting the computer.

Last time I had an issue similar to this, eventually Roon Support realized that my Account had a “Red Flag” on it. I am hopeful that that flag has not returned, but maybe someone from the team can check for me so that I can start using Roon again? The nature of that flag was never revealed to me, but I’m a lifetime subscriber to Roon so I can’t imagine what the issue could have been.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

@Wes @support

Hey guys, any insight here? My Roon has been unusable for about a week now. Meanwhile, Tidal itself plays without hesitation on the exact same system. It’s only when I try to use Tidal files through Roon that I get nowhere.

Thanks!

Hi @Roeyjose,

I took a look at your diagnostics and found some errors. It looks like the file cache is corrupted.

Under Roon>settings>library, try cleaning up your library there. While on that page, you might take a look at the skipped files to see if there are any discernable patterns.

These are the instructions for clearing Roon’s cache entirely:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

One of these should fix the issue but I recommend doing all of them anyway.

Please let me know!

Wes

1 Like

Excellent. Will report back - thank you!

1 Like

Hi Wes,

Good news - moving the cache worked! Cleaning up the Library didn’t seem to do anything, but when I moved the contents of the cache to the desktop, Roon immediately started working. It also re-populated the cache folder, presumably with a non-corrupt version.

Am I OK to delete the old cache that I moved to my desktop?

Thanks again for your help!

best,

rj

Hi @Wes & @support,

An update: now the exact same error is back and Tidal tracks are no longer playing. Worse, the above steps do not correct the problem. That is to say, there’s nothing in the library to clean up ( though I submitted the clean up request anyway), and moving the cache does not solve the issue as it did yesterday.

Is there something I can do to avoid this sort of corruption? It’s really frustrating that I can’t simply get Roon to work for extended periods of time.

Please advise.

Thanks!

rj

Hi @Roeyjose,

We’re seeing some odd traces that are tied to Tidal sync. I am going to create a ticket and discuss this with our devs tomorrow morning. I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
Wes

Thanks, @wes! Appreciate it.

Hi @Roeyjose,

It looks like it’s an issue of the favorites from Tidal. We’re going to open an internal ticket to address this and try to recreate the problem. Going to have several questions here.

Can you tell me whether or not you re-imported the DBs prior to recreating the issue?

Are you using a VPN?

Does changing to Cloudfare or Google DNS on your router change anything? (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, or 1.1.1.1)

If you did in fact re-import your DBs, please supply them to us with the information below.

Thanks,
Wes

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having loading the Roon database. Typically, problems loading the database mean that it may have been corrupted at some point. We have more information about what can cause corruption and steps that you can take to recover your database here:

If you’re having any issues after following the recovery steps above, please let me know!

1. Zip up your RoonBackups folder (right-click it and select “Compress…”):
  2. Submit the .zip file to us through our Database Corruption Issues portal

Hi @Wes,

Thanks for the follow up.

No, I didn’t re-import anything. I just removed the cache from the library folder as instructed and then restarted Roon and tried to play Tidal. The folder repopulated on its own ( I would imagine via pulling from Tidal, but I’m just reporting what I did / didn’t do. ) and the issue returned / remains.

I am not using a VPN.

I have not tried switching router settings and am not eager to do so, since, as before, Roon is the only app that I am having any issue with.

Do you still want me to compress the Backups folder?

Let’s hold off on that since the issue is happening without the original DB. We did open a ticket for this and I might have more information on this today.

Wes

Got it - thanks, Wes. Appreciate it. Just let me know what you need.

Hi @Wes any word on this? Still experiencing this issue and unable to get Tidal albums to play through Roon. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help diagnose.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Roeyjose,

I had a chance to look at your case with our developers and QA department today.

A great couple of suggestions came up assuming the issue can occur on the Mac playing to a local output.

1. Use ARC to play Tidal tracks. Does the same issue occur? We utilize a different URL for ARC’s connections to Tidal and it might give us more insight.

2. Try connecting your Macbook to your device’s Wi-Fi hotspot and see if the behaviors still occur. This will at least let us know whether or not the issue is specific to your network.

Please let me know. We meet with these guys frequently and I will be able to relay your findings when we meet again.

Regards,
Wes

Hi @Wes,

Thanks for the follow up.

1. No, ARC doesn’t work. Due to these ongoing issues, I’ve never really played much with ARC. When I opened the app, it hasn’t updated the library in 113 days and won’t refresh. Further, it says “Poor Connection - Please Try Again” and that’s as far as I get. Nothing plays and nothing updates.

2. No luck here, either. Connecting to my hotspot gives the exact same error. In fact, I’m starting to see “Too Many Issues - Stopping Playback” again, which brings back ghosts from my previous thread, which was (temporarily) solved by removing some sort of red flag on my account.

Also, just to reiterate, Roon remains the only application or website that I have any trouble with whatsoever. My wife and I both work from home - we do Zoom calls, stream video content, etc - throughout the house with rock solid internet connection. So, as before, I don’t think the issue has anything to do with our internet connection. That I can use Tidal itself, flawlessly, on the same computer and in the same systems where Roon doesn’t play Tidal seems to suggest the same.

Thanks again! Looking forward to getting this sorted.

Hi @Roeyjose,

Well, back to square one. I’ve noted your test results on our internal ticket to discuss with devs again. One thing you could do is to change your Tidal PW and if you feel comfortable with it, sharing your login information with me via PM to see if I can duplicate your issue. That part is completely up to you. Otherwise, I’ll discuss your issues with my teams again and see if we can come up with another angle of attack.

The part that really puzzles me is that it worked for a time after we cleared the cache and then the issue came back! If you don’t mind doing that again while we wait for my upcoming meeting, I see no harm in trying.

Wes

Hi @wes,

OK, I will send you a PM. Please recall that last time this happened you mentioned that my account had been “flagged” for some reason. Could that be the case here? I can’t imagine why it would be flagged but that made more sense than troubleshooting my network.

I really don’t understand what the issue could be - I am running very new hardware at every step of the way and everything else in the house / network works as expected besides Tidal / Roon integration. It’s especially frustrating as in the intermittent moments when Roon works, it’s great and far superior to Tidal on its own. But, honestly, I just use Tidal mostly at this point because it works every time and Roon is spotty at best.

rj

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 20 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.