Tidal albums get lost

Hi @Clifford_Baron,

Can you provide us with a specific example of this? Can you share a link to that album in TIDAL?

FWIW, my experience matches that of @Clifford_Baron - I tried to distinguish what I see as two distinct but related Tidal issues in this post a while back, if it’s of any help.

@dylan - how about Spades & Roses by Caroline Spence? This album vanished from my Library. It is visible (in the app) but unplayable via Tidal on this link. It is newly available on Tidal via this link.

I won’t re-add it to my library for the moment in case it’s helpful for you to take a look.

As an example, none of formerly available Ben Goldberg albums are available any longer. This Tidal link is to Orphic Machine:
https://tidal.com/album/43607631

Also attaching screenshots. Mouse hover over an unavailable album, and no play arrow appears (Orphic Machine). Hover over an available album, and the play arrow appears (Way To Normal).

Today I checked my tidal albums. Last check was 4 weeks ago.
And another 9 (of 850) albums are not longer in my library. 5 albums I could readd, 4 albums are completely gone.

That makes me so angry! Why should I favorite tracks, make playlists and so on, if the albums and all my edits vanish some day?
This problem destroys a good portion of my Roon experience.

I will check Qobuz, if it is more reliable, I will ditch Tidal.

1 Like

It’s a problem that’s been discussed on the forum at length before. Definitely a problem. My understanding is that it’s inherent with all streaming services.

It has but I think the point is that at least half the problem is completely unnecessary i.e. albums appearing to vanish when they actually still exist. If Qobuz were able to make guarantees on that front it would likely persuade me to move too. Although, in truth, I’d prefer it if Tidal just fixed their data model.

1 Like

Please, please incorporate a weekly/monthly digest report into Roon (for Excel export at least) that could be used to compare library differences between one time and another.

2 Likes

@dylan - has there been a change of behaviour here? I notice I have added Caroline Spence - You know the feeling which has become unavailable on Tidal within a day. However, it hasn’t vanished from my Roon library as in the past - the tracks just show as unavailable when you try to play them (though not before). Would be good if the whole album shows as unavailable but this feels like slight progress (or a random oddity?).

Monthly check shows 12 mssing albums and 7 of them were not replaced by ‘new’ versions.
And it is not exotic stuff. For example the Rainbow albums ‘Down To Earth’, ‘Difficult To Cure’ and ‘Straight Between The Eyes’ are completely removed from Tidal.

Currating your library with tags, favorites and playlists is such a waste of time if all your work will be deleted from time to time. And that makes one of the unique selling points of Roon practically useless.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more - it remains my biggest frustration with using Roon in combination with Tidal.

1 Like

More Tidal “suddenly removed from library for no good reason” BS.

This time Pinegrove. Been in my library since release 3 years ago. Tidal changes its identifier or whatever and it’s gone from the Roon library, all play count lost and has to be manually re-added.

Come on Roon, you have the capability to provide reports on this sort of shit.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve wanted a listing of deprecated albums under Library for awhile now. That way when your playlists show 15 of 20, you can find out the 5 that were dropped.

As it is now, I’ve taken to generating Excel reports for comparison.

2 Likes

@mikeb did dropped streaming tracks make the top 30 feature requests?

The 3 lists have 45 outstanding requests in total (15 on each list), I’ve unfortunately missed about 4 at the mo, excluding brainwave control :rofl:, so when a few more surface I’ll make list #4. I didn’t realize you can’t edit a poll after 5 mins, so I can’t add the outstanding requests to an existing list.

I feel it may be a Sisyphean task so thanks for taking it on.

One issue is that everyone’s want to have and need to have are different.

Regardless of whether or not I use streaming services, I think that being able to track albums/tracks that have been deprecated and/or replaced by a streaming service is not really a Feature Request, but, what should be part of basic functionality.

I suspect that Roon wants to enact a solution that is transparent to end users. Meaning that the streaming library album "removed " is automatically associated with the new album object that replaced it, thus, keep all the meta data intact. This all happening behind the scenes without any user interaction. That is fine and probably would satisfy the majority of users.

However, I would want to know this happened. So, even if it happens auto-magically, I would still like a report indicating what changed.

2 Likes

Hello all,

You have our apologies for the frustrations here. I spoke with the team about this again and, unfortunately, there isn’t anything on our end that we can do at the moment to prevent these albums from being lost — When TIDAL removes an album, it also disappears in Roon.

One option might be to use the method mentioned by @Rugby. You can export you library to excel periodically and check for differences that way.

We do not currently offer the ability to automatically generate this kind of data, but if this is something that interests you, my recommendation would be to post in the #roon:feature-requests section of community.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Let us know if you have any questions, and apologies again for the issues.

Thanks for replying @noris. I can certainly accept that you would see it as Tidal’s responsibility to address this rather than yours, and I’d be forced to agree (indeed I’ve said as much elsewhere). However, to suggest that there isn’t anything Roon could do to address this seems a little far-fetched - a key selling point after all is the quality of its metadata. Surely it would be possible to seamlessly match identical albums in the background when their Tidal identifier changes? Obviously if an album is pulled from their catalogue that’s a different proposition entirely.

1 Like

This seems to happen fairly often, if you search there are numerous reports of things “disappearing” from streaming catalogs… if you treasure an album, the best action is to buy it and add it to your library.