Tidal authentication with Roon fails

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Server: Ubuntu Linux kernel 5.4.0-52-generic / Roon version 1.7 build 667 stable
Client: iOS 13.7 / Roon version 1.7 build 610 stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Server is connected via UTP cat 5 to the switch (HP 1820-8G), router is pfSense (version 2.4.5-RELEASE-p1)
Client is connected via Wifi (Draytek VigorAP 902) > switch (HP 1820-8G) > router pfSense (version 2.4.5-RELEASE-p1)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Bryston BDA-3.14, connection from Roon server to Bryston via UTP.

Description Of Issue
Roon fails to authenticate to Tidal, please find the attachment. Tried to logout and login from the Roon app, and then authentication is successful (the Roon app redirects to a web interface) but opening the Roon app gives the authentication error.

I’ve contacted Tidal support first, but they pointed to Roon after a few messages on which Tidal requested specific information but they never replied with an answer which suggested they were looking into the matter seriously saying:

‘As this issue is only occurring when using Roon then you will need to reach out to Roon’s support team as they maintain the TIDAL interface in the Roon app.’

Unfortunately Roon is not logging any information so I’ve no pointers. Any help would be appreciated!

I would recommend, rebooting your network router and then the Roon core … to see if that helps.

Thanks for the very quick response! Unfortunately I’ve done both already multiple times as part of the troubleshooting procedure. I think we need to dig a bit deeper and look into the Tidal/Roon endpoints which trigger the authentication failure. Is there any way I can startup Roon in debug mode?

Using other webservices via Roon (like Radio) works without any problems.

Roon’s @support team can enable diagnostics capture…

As a user you can take a look at the Roon log files but they are quite technical in nature and not targeted towards the end user.

Hi @knaap,

Is the remote you’re using fully up to date?

If you use a different remote and/or browser is there any change?

Hi @Carl,

There are quite a few logfiles:

var/roon/RoonServer/Cache/httpcache.db/000049.log
/var/roon/RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt
/var/roon/RoonServer/Cache/tidal_2.db/000038.log
/var/roon/RoonServer/Cache/qobuz_1.db/000031.log
/var/roon/RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/000051.log

Of which the /var/roon/RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt gives the most interesting entries, this might be the cause of all problems:

11/01 08:53:44 Warn: [tidal/http] GET https://api.tidal.com/v1/sessions/SESSION_ID => UnexpectedError

ERROR: The request could not be satisfied

403 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: REQUEST_ID==

Could the entries above have something to do with the authentication error? An HTTP 403 means the request is forbidden. (I’ve replaced the SESSION_ID and REQUEST_ID hash to be safe.)

Hi @dylan,

Yes, the remote is fully up to date running iOS 13.7.

If you use a different remote and/or browser is there any change?

Login via a browser and playing via https://listen.tidal.com/ works without any authentication errors.

Well, fixed the HTTP 403 (forbidden) error by routing TCP connections from the Roon server to another VPN gateway (long live pfSense!). Apparently the Tidal API is behind CloudFlare which is using an IP blacklist.

I’m a bit dissapointed by Tidal, delivering really no supporting support at all and only requesting specfic information but not doing anything with it, even with a ‘Family HiFi’ account.

It’s 99.9% always down to an external (to Roon) networking issue … glad you’re back up and running.

I’ve noted that this was down to a [VPN] IP blacklisting, so I can suggest others to temporally switch it off as a trouble shooting measure.

Hi @Carl,

I’ve noted that this was down to a [VPN] IP blacklisting, so I can suggest others to temporally switch it off as a trouble shooting measure.

Sorry, but no. I was not using a VPN gateway at the time of the HTTP 403 errors, but a direct line of my ISP. Just turning things off or rebooting in the hope that it will fix things is not a valid toubleshooting path. It all starts at the logfiles, in this case /var/roon/RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt was the key.

In this case I’ve created workaround, but no final solution. I wonder why Tidal keeps the CloudFlare blacklisting running without any consideration for paying customers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.