Tidal Loading Slowly Issue Reoccurrence with Roon / ROON Subscription Frustration (ref#HDMYK9)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

Music stops playing mid-track

I have the “Tidal loading slowly” problem. This is an issue, I have every few months. After resetting network, wifi and other stuff randomly, the issue goes away. Now it is back :frowning:
I am not an IT guy. I am into ROON because it makes listening to music easy and interesting (when it works). I have a 1000 Mbit internet connection, that works fine. All my other devices work flawlessly when running tidal directly from Tidal (Bluesound, Eversolo, Sonos). But through Roon… Not so.
I am actually getting to a point, where i have had enough. This is not a new issue. It has been in the community for long time, different writers. Always, it seems, there is no solutions. The topic gets closed after inactivity.
I was so stupid to buy a lifetime subscription. I feel you should actually get this problem solved. After all, it is not cheap stuff (ROON).
My system consists of a 1000 Mbit internet connection, A Intel Nuc i5 16 Gb RAM, Google Nest Pro Wifi, Eversolo DMP A6 Master edition. I also have a couple of Bluesound and Sonos endpoints.
What should I do?

1 Like

Hello,

Is this issue …

… causing the “Tidal loading slowly” problem?

This is an issue, I have every few months. After resetting network, wifi and other stuff randomly, the issue goes away. Now it is back :frowning:
The above information, seems very detailed and probably it is your best effort in being transparent.
My problem with all of this, is that I am not an IT guy. I am into ROON because it makes listening to music easy and interesting (when it works). I have a 1000 Mbit internet connection, that works fine. All my other devices work flawlessly when running tidal directly from Tidal (Bluesound, Eversolo, Sonos). But through Roon… Not so.
I am actually getting to a point, where i have had enough. This is not a new issue. It has been in the community for long time. Always, it seems, there is no solutions. The topic gets closed after inactivity.
I was so stupid to buy a lifetime subscription. I feel you should actually get this problem solved. After all, it is not cheap stuff (ROON).
My system consists of a 1000 Mbit internet connection, A Intel Nuc i5 16 Gb RAM, Google Nest Pro Wifi, Eversolo DMP A6 Master edition. I also have a couple of Bluesound and Sonos endpoints.
What should I do?

No, devices that have this issue don’t work with Tidal at all

1 Like

Hi @Jorgen_Dybro

Welcome to Roon and the Roon Community

I’m just a fellow Roon user

You are by far from stupid buying a lifetime subscription

I notice you mention a NUC, i5 with 16gb ram. Are you running Roon Rock? If not, are you running Roon Server on Windows

I also see you have the Google Nest Pro WiFi network.
Do you have your internet service providers box before this?
Is it acting as your main router?
Is your Google Nest Pro in access point mode?

Are you connecting to your NUC with an ethernet cable?

Do you just have the Google Nest Pro on its own or with the extender node?

Your incoming internet speed is not the issue here, but if you could confirm how your network is setup it could highlight a possible cause.

My setup is, which may help

ISP box in modem mode
Google WiFi primary node acting as router
This connects to a 24 port switch
My other Google WiFi nodes connect to this (wired backhaul)
My Roon Rock box connects to my switch
All my Roon endpoints are on WiFi

As you can read in the statement:

Roon Labs is constantly working on improving the situation for its customers. If you run into an issue then opening a support request, as you did, is the right course of action.

1 Like

Thx Suedkiez,

That is good to know. I have raised my support request directly now!

BR, Jørgen

Hi Menzies,

Thx - perhaps not stupid - but frustrated…

Thx also for your questions which I will try to answer one by one:
I am running Roon Rock.
My Google Nest Wifi is connected to my ISP’s box.
I have 2 additional Google Nest Pro nodes.
Is it running in Access point mode? I dont know where to look :thinking:
The NUK is connected with an ethernet cable to a passive switch connected to the Google nest pro main router.
All endpoints running wifi.

Sure would be nice, someone can see if there is a connection to the issue. On the other hand, the issue is not permanent. So the setup can work…

Always try to help where I can.

The two nodes, are they nearer your Roon endpoints than your primary node?

IIRC the Nest Pro nodes lack an ethernet port so rely on WiFi for sending info back and forth to the primary node.

Sometimes you may get the balance of endpoints, other devices on your mesh network and it may work one day, but not the next day.

If you setup the Nest Pro, you may still have the Google home app to hand.

In the app you’ll possible see this, follow these steps to find out if in AP mode or Router mode.

If your next screen shows similar to this, your primary node is acting as the router.

If not continue

You’re looking for this screen

If your primary nodes WiFi can reach your endpoints on WiFi, I’d temporarily turn off the extender nodes.

Roon transmits a PCM stream which is a constant data stream. It needs a solid/robust network. Having multiple WiFi hops can and does cause issues with Roon.

If we temporarily simplify your network to a single WiFi transmitter and see what happens.

Hi Menzies,
Thx for your effort. You are really helping out in a way, that non IT people (like me) can understand. Everything looks the way you have shown. The setting for WPA3 is on though. Dont know if that could be a problem.

I will try turning the two nodes of tomorrow in the morning. It is rather late here (Denmark).

Thanks again! I really apreciate your effort to help!

Hadn’t noticed mine was off. It shouldn’t matter either way.

I’ll enable mine now though.

I hope tomorrow yields good results :+1:

You’re completely welcome

… and IPV6 is on too! Also dont know if that could be a problem.

Just an update. This morning it works fine again. Didnt do anything. The nodes are still on in the mesh network. Ergo I dont have a reference if I turn them off. These periodical problems are sooo soooooo frustrating. Given that this problem has been a topic in the community several times, I wish that Roon would offer some guideline to solving it. It is hard to comprehend that it is not linked to the way Roon works, since the endpoints work fine directly with Tidal, just not with Roon periodically.
Thanks in advance to Roon, if they would share some insight.

Hi @Jorgen_Dybro,

A hardwired ethernet connection to the internet on your RoonServer machine is the most reliable way to avoid upstream network hiccups with Tidal/Qobuz/KKBOX servers.

Hi Connor,
I have my Roon ROCK hardwired to my primary internet router. The hicups as you call them only occur on my endpoints, when streaming through Roon. When I go into my Bluesound or Eversolo app and play Tidal music, it works fine. It is only through Roon.
I think it could be some kind of trouble connected with mesh networks. I have had the same issue on a Amplifi mesh setup. Now I have a Google Nest Pro. It worked fine for a period, now it is intermittently back again. Lately I disconnected the mesh point closest to the Eversolo streamer. It seems to work better. But I need mesh points! Again: It is only via Roon I have the issue!

Hi @Jorgen_Dybro,

If you are using Bluesound devices in groups, please note that we’re working directly with their engineering team to resolve an issue with group sync on BluOS-capable Roon devices. The two teams are making progress behind the scenes and will eventually announce a fix here: NAD/Bluesound Grouped Zones out of sync, stopping playing, and/or skipping tracks [Investigating]

Outside of that, I suggest you enable multicast forwarding and IGMP snooping settings on any of the mesh nodes. Try to place the nodes strategically to avoid WiFi passing across known sources of EM interference. Roon’s high-fidelity, lossless protocols have a habit of sniffing out any packet loss that has been lingering in the intranet.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.