Tidal login failure causing player to stall

Roon Player keeps dropping out with pink message box, “Tidal login failure”. If I go to settings/Services, it will immediately login successfully and the player will work again but I do not understand why this keeps happening. Annoying as the music stops even if the file being played is local (NAS drive) or local file on SD card.

The problem has become so constant that I have to log out of tidal so I can listen to local files.

Thanks!

Mac OS 10.14.2 ; Roon version 1.5 Build 363 64-bit.

Hello @Jim_White1,

That is certainly strange behavior. Have you tried rebooting your Core and Router after logging in to TIDAL again? How is your Mac connected to the network (WiFi or Ethernet) and what is the Router model/manufacturer that you are using?

Thanks,
Noris

I have tried rebooting Roon—and the computer-- several times, but not the router. The router is a Netgear and the NAS drive is directly connected via ethernet. The MacBook (core) is on the same network wirelessly. This just started fairly recently and as I said it happens even when listening to local file, not Tidal. It stops playback, however, until I go to the settings and allow it to log in.

Hello @Jim_White1,

Thank you for providing that information. I believe this issue may be DNS related and we have seen users have a better overall experience in the past if they change their DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

Thanks,
Noris

OK, I have switched the DNS server to Cloudflare. I will let it run for a few days and report back. Thanks!

1 Like

After several days with the new DNS . server I can report although it does still occur, it is much less frequent: down from several times an hour to maybe once a day.

Hello @Jim_White1,

What is the exact model of your Netgear router and how is it set up? If this is still occurring on a daily basis, you might not have you network configured as per our best practices. Please take a look at this guide for some suggestions, at the end of the list we also have some router-specific settings in case you want to give those a try.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Router is a NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750. I am setup using the 5G network. It consistently delivers over 70 Mbs via wireless network. My Bluesound Vault 2i is connected via direct ethernet to a Netgear AC750 extender, located within 18 feet from the router. I notice the Vault 2 is on the list of Roon supported devices, but not the 2i. Is this an issue? I never get dropouts using the BluOS player, yet I understand the RATT technology is different. I would love to figure it out as I love Roon and would prefer to use it. I have not been, however, as the dropouts are so annoying. Also, even when I am not running the Roon app, I get this popup constantly (see attached). I always hit ignore; if I click disconnect all it shuts down the NAS drive from my BluOS player as well. The shared drive is where the music files reside. I have no idea what the RoonStorage_d69c830 is. Maybe some sort of virtual drive for Roon?

Visiting your network guidelines perhaps the problem is running my core wirelessly. It seems I would be better served getting a Mac mini with SSD and devoting it as a core.

33%20PM

Hello @Jim_White1,

Can you please post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Storage tab? It should look something like this:

I will check with the team our current status of the Vault 2i but it should not be causing these kinds of issues due to just that.

– Noris

Hello @Jim_White1,

You mentioned that you have an extender in this setup, can you please try connecting both the Vault and the laptop via Ethernet to the Router to see if this works as expected? This test will help us see where the issue lies and will be a good data point to have. Please let me know your results when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris,
With both the Vault2i and the Macbook connected to the router via ethernet, I still get the audio dropouts. Often it is accompanied by server connection error I posted above. When this happens, it also disconnects the vault from the network as I can see the light go from blue to red. Frustrating to say the least. This happens playing music from Tidal and local files on the NAS drive.

UPDATE: I think the solution may just be to have the Roon Core on a dedicated machine connected directly to the router. I had a Lenovo Tower with Window 7, an I5 Intel processor, and 8-gig of RAM, just sitting in storage. I made it the dedicated Roon core and after about 4 hours of play I have had no issues. If I can get through the day and evening without issue I will know this was/is the way to go. The computer is set to login automatically and start Roon; in case of power loss I won’t need to hook up a keyboard and monitor to get things going. The startup is painfully slow but it does work well once it is up and going. I am thinking of installing a small SSD and making it the startup disk to help with that issue.
Apparently, using one’s main computer for the core is a bad idea. The core needs to be the only job running to make it work successfully.

Hi @Jim_White1,

Glad to hear that you have been able to resolve this issue by using a different Core. Thanks again for contacting us and wish you a great day!

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.