Tidal Max, is it time to leave Qobuz?

I saw Mark unfortunately only once with Isobel Campbell in 2006 and it was wonderful. Followed his terrible Covid sickness and was so happy he made it through, only to have death get him soon after. He is missed very much indeed.

2 Likes

I did
Spotifyā€”> Tidalā€”> Qobuz
When I moved to Qobuz on 5800 Albums ā€¦ I lost an avg of 12-15% of the titles ā€¦ for me that was key
Qobuz was always highly rated

Now Iā€™m back ā€”-> Tidal and yes I see more and more HiRez daily ā€¦ seems that Roon picks the HiRez Albims/Tracks automatically on Max Settings

I still have Qobuz but I find (for me) the Suggested music is more to my taste with Tidal. and lastlyā€¦ the iOS seems more solid on Tidal

So for now ā€¦ itā€™s Tidal ā€¦ hopefully the difference in price for Max is to compensate the artists more then the other streaming companies

PS: lots of people Poo-Poo HiRez over 16/44 and itā€™s a none stop debate ā€¦ for me ā€¦ I like what my DAC does with HiRez

Enjoy the music !

1 Like

So I figured Iā€™d give it one last try and signed back in to Qobuz. Now the volume level is actually working, showing different values per album. But with that said, it still seems like Tidal is louder. So I still donā€™t think I can make a real judgement on sound quality but still find Tidal sounds better. Testing a new album by the Middle Kids - song Dramamine. Has same improvement where drums sound tighter and hint more clarity over Qobuz.

And add the fact found 6 additional albums on Car Seat Headrest, pushes me towards Tidal. Saw those albums are on a different record label than the rest of their catalog, so I guess Qobuz doesnā€™t have a deal with them. This is same thing Iā€™ve seen in past where what seems like random albums are missing but due to different record labels.

So only troublesome issue with Tidal is those remaining MQA 44/16 albums. Most appear to be on the Warner Bros label. Think they were the only ones that released MQA in that format. Thought claim was didnā€™t have higher level masters. Hard to believe when smaller label like Sub Pop have Sonic Youth in 192/24. Its a minor annoyance since no real difference in sound quality, just donā€™t like seeing MQA.

I am more than happy with Qobuz - absolutely no need to change that. Have been testing Tidal the last couple of days, but no thanks.

Torben

2 Likes

I have both but I prioritize Qobuz over Tidal. For Tidal I just have the 44/16 subscription.

3 Likes

You need to do a blind comparison. Bits are bits if we are not talking abut MQA, and Tidal wonā€™t have the better master fĆ¼r everything by chance

It would be a big surprise if they had any SY at all apart from that split single with Mudhoney and a track on a compilation or other :wink:

1 Like

Not sure why thought Sonic Youth was on Sub Pop label. They started off on SST and then move to Geffen. Was a big deal with them moving to a major label. And yeah, understand bit are bits. Iā€™m sure if I could properly volume match, theyā€™d sound the same. All in all, Iā€™m going to stick with Tidal. I do like the for new releases, they have Indie / Rock instead of Pop / Rock on Qobuz. And sometimes kind of cool to check out old videos on the Tidal app.

1 Like

I had issues with QoBuz way back. Songs were prematurely skipping ahead and they offered no solution so went to Tidal. I recently downgraded to the $10/mo. option. Iā€™ve read on 2 occasions that only 10% of Tidalā€™s albums are Hi-Res so for $20/month itā€™s not worth it and fine with '44.1khz even though my equipment like most others now can handle MQA, et al. But I never knew or read that Tidal was running behind QoB in quality.

what are the 15?

its all a scam. once youā€™ve hear 24/384 and up there is no going back. the magic is in the sub bass frequencies that make up the meat of the soundstage. everybody is always ranting about the high frequencies you canā€™t hear as a human but you can hear the difference with tuned array stereo subs. Roon/arc and Apple Music will playback your personal hi res library with no issues. so buy your `own DSD files and/or use Apple Music with remote app for converted dsd>wav and Roon for pure dsd.

I have issues playing music through the Qobuz-app on my work-laptop, probably some firewall issue. But also have trouble getting the app to show up in the Android Auto in my car. So kind of stuck with Tidal due to technical shortcomings with the Qobuz-app.

If your work laptop uses a VPN, Qobuz will likely not like that, I have to let the Qobuz app through my VPN for it to work.

1 Like

no, donā€™t leave Qobuz. Iā€™ve had the Sublime subscription for years. Compared to Tidal, Qobuz offers the option to buy albums. This means that the albums are mine for life. In addition, the Sublime subscription is cheaper at ā‚¬16.66 compared to Tidal Plus at ā‚¬19.99. I can purchase favorite albums (I own many of them) in high quality (HiRes 24 bit to 192 kHz) at reduced prices. The HiRes quality is equivalent to Tidal.

8 Likes

Agreed and Qobuz sublime is often the only way I can find to buy a single track from an album in hi-res. I usually buy whole albums, but my wife often only wants a track or two from an album.

2 Likes

Cā€™mon nowā€¦You have Roon in the shower??? WOW!

:slight_smile: My winter project last year - a repurposed TV soundbar and an old phone

1 Like

no, donā€™t leave Qobuz. Iā€™ve had the Sublime subscription for years. Compared to Tidal, Qobuz offers the option to buy albums. This means that the albums are mine for life. In addition, the Sublime subscription is cheaper at ā‚¬16.66 compared to Tidal Plus at ā‚¬19.99. I can purchase favorite albums (I own many of them) in high quality (HiRes 24 bit to 192 kHz) at reduced prices. The HiRes quality is equivalent to Tidal.

3 Likes

I love using Qobuz for discovery and especially nice that with one click itā€™s now in my libraryā€¦ I wish it was just as easy to purchase an album from Qobuzā€¦

2 Likes

I have a ropieeeeeee endpoint and B&W DM 601s in my race car garage. Iā€™m thinking garage systems are pretty common. I recently discovered BT hearing protection I often use for outside or noisy projects. Love those! Plus my wife can call me on my headphones if she needs me. Donā€™t even need to stop working or take the headphones off to talk to her.