"Tidal Media is loading slowly" + Windows 10 RoonAppliance.exe Error

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8i7BEH/16GB, Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.295, Roon 1.6 Build 416
Local music on Synology DS918+
Logged into Tidal Hifi on Roon Core

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

AVM Fritz!BOX 7590. NUC & Synology connected via Gigabit Ethernet. Clients on stable ac wifi. AVM Repeater 1750E, Mesh Config, Paket Acceleration disabled. All hardware on latest OS software.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

RPi3b/HifiBerry Digi+ -> Optical Splitter -> Devialet Phantom Gold Speakers
4x RPi3b/HifiBerry AMP2 -> Random Passive Speakers :wink:
Chord Mojo connected to MacBook Pro 2017 via USB

Description Of Issue

I’d like to get some analysis going to find out why I’m getting “Tidal Media is loading slowly” occasionally with the track skips that go with it as well as RoonAppliance.exe errors “A new guard page for the stack cannot be created” on Windows 10. Can you please turn on logging for my account so we can debug those issues? Thanks!

That is usually a stack overflow error. Are you using anything else on this PC besides Roon? LIke an IDE?

Nope. Nothing else is consistently running next to RoonServer.

Hi @saschamt,

Does the TIDAL loading slowly error occur across all of your endpoints or just some/one of them? How is the NUC connected in your network setup, is via Ethernet to the router or to the repeater? I mention this because we have seen WiFi repeaters often have sub-par performance, so if it is connected to the repeater, you may want to try connecting it directly to the main router as a test.

Hi @noris,
it happens across all endpoints. The NUC is connected directly to the Fritzbox. What would you suggest as a next step?

On a side note: even if it was connected to the repeater directly, there shouldn’t be a reason Roon is so temperamental. The repeater serves our T-Entertain Hub as well as lots of other devices with zero issues

Hi @saschamt,

Thanks for confirming that info. Repeaters sometimes don’t pass multicast traffic properly, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices, but since you are not using the repeater we can eliminate this from the equation.

Since this issue occurs across all of your endpoints I suspect that it is either a networking issue or a Core issue. Please let me know the following info:

1. How large is your current library on the NUC - what is the amount of tracks that is displayed in the Overview screen?

2. How much free space is left on the NUC hard drive?

3. Do local tracks exhibit this behavior or just TIDAL ones?

4. How are your DNS servers configured on the router? Are you using ISP provided ones or Google/Cloudflare?

@noris thx for digging in.

1. 55k
  2. 45 GB
  3. I can recall an issue of local music on the Synology having issues playing but I would say it was so rare it was a fluke
  4. Google DNS IPv4+v6

Hi @saschamt,

Thanks for providing that info. I’d like to take a look at diagnostics to see if it reveals any additional clues, can you please let me know the exact local time + date in your country when this behavior occurs next? E.g. 10:07PM on 9/10/11? After I have this info I can enable diagnostics mode, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @noris, after playback worked well for a couple days, I’ve had a hard stop this morning at 8:43am CET. It wasn’t TIDAL playing or local media but an internet radio stream. Maybe it just cut out, it would still be great to get to the bottom of that issue, too, as it wasn’t the first time this happened. I assume the stream was not down as I was able to restart it right after.

Tidal stop at 12:42pm, CET

Hi @saschamt,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Can you also let me know which of your endpoints you observed this issue on?

This was playing solely to the RPi+Hifiberry Digi+ endpoint.

Another stop at 9:41am CET right now. Multiple zones connected this time.

And these errors were shown when Roon was unresponsive this morning.

Those errors indicate an issue with the Windows system. Most likely a corrupted Windows file or some type of software conflict. If you search for those messages, you will find a lot of solutions to try, I’ve given some examples below.

My guess is that you are running other software (or more likely it is auto loading in the background when you start the PC) that is causing a conflict. More specifically, you are running Origins.exe (as you can see in your screen shots it is the application having the Breakpoint error). Which is a Gaming manager used by EA. It really should not be on a RoonServer.

I would start by doing a clean boot and preventing all auto starting applications (including Origins) from starting and see if that changes the situation. If it does, I’d add the applications back in one at a time until you find the culprit. That is the in-depth long way. You could just start by disabling the Origins software from starting at boot, re-boot, and see if that makes a difference.

Here are some examples:

For Error: Error 0xc0000142 excerpted from the Microsoft Tech Page

There are several reasons which can cause this error in your computer. One of these is a corrupted or missing system file. You may run the System File Checker to identify and troubleshoot this error.

You can also follow the steps through Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool to check for any update errors.

Note: Please perform the Clean boot on your PC.

Clean Boot temporarily disables all third party applications as well as all Microsoft non-essential services so only basic drivers will run. This will help us find any third-party software which can be the cause of this issue.

Here are the steps:

1. From Start, search for msconfig
  2. Select System Configuration from the search results.
  3. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
  4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
  5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
  6. Close Task Manager.
  7. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.
2 Likes

Thanks Daniel, I’ve cleaned up my startup services and rebooted. Will see how it goes. :ok_hand:

Hi @saschamt,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots. I have discussed your case further with QA and they have noted that it appears that another application may be interfering with Roon’s files.

I would start by disabling Origins, then exiting out of Roon and moving this file elsewhere (such as to your desktop): C:\Users\Sascha\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Cache\devicedb-prod.zip

Once this file has been moved please start Roon once more and let me know if you are still seeing this behavior.

Thanks @noris! I did what you suggested. We’ll see how it goes. After disabling the service and some other 3rd party ones I haven’t seen any crashes, yet :slight_smile: Will be on the lookout if any more issues persist. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.