Tidal media loading slowly

Hi, I hope you can help me with my issue.

Setup:

Roon version 1.6, build 416 stable 64 bit
Intel Nuc i5, Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134,

Network setup
Fiber internet then wired Ethernet,
Unifi Switch : Model US-8-60w, Intel NUC and devialet on same switch, Nothing else on that switch.
Measured network speed: 247Mbps down, 97Mbps up, 2,8 ms response time to US servers.

Audio Devices
Devialet Expert Pro 220, Ethernet cable

Description Of Issue

I have great problems with my roon setup. I use tidal and I often get “tidal media loading slowly” very frequently. It ruins most of my listening sessions. It happens almost daily. It presists after restart of Roon and computer.

Have updated firmware of devialet till lastest version
Updated windows till latest version. Nothing else runs on the NuC
updated roon to lastest version
Tidal itself has no problems like this, it always works and i can airplay to the devialet (but dont want to do that of course)

Hi @Robert_Carlsson,

Does this issue only occur for your Devialet zone or does it occur on other outputs as well? If you don’t have any other outputs, can you please verify how “System Output” zone performs? What is your router model/manufacturer?

Since you are using a managed switch here, we have sometimes seen them need special configuration settings in place. From our Networking Best Practices:

Managed Switches

Managed switches can be very robust, but they are often designed for professional installation, so in many cases the out-of-box configuration is not right. If your switch has a “flow control” setting, please make sure that it is enabled. Also, make sure that the switch is not performing any sort of throttling that might impact communication between cores, storage, remotes, and/or audio endpoints. Finally, ensure that the switch is configured to pass multicast and broadcast traffic. If in doubt about any of this, try temporarily replacing your managed switch with a “dumb” switch to see if things improve.

Hi, thanks for you help and swift response!

I just tested system out for 40 mins, playing tracks I just had problems with and it seems to work without problems. I havent tested as much as with my Devialet, but it seems roboust and swift. Tracks start playing sooner, and I didnt get any “tidal is slow” error messages.

I checked the switch and didnt see any problems with it after reading your advice.

My Router is Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway, directly connected to the optical modem.

A little wiser but the problem with devialet persists. Any ideas on how to make it work?

Thank you

Hi @Robert_Carlsson,

Thanks for confirming. If the issues persist I would try the Devialet on a WiFi connection instead of Ethernet (if you’ve managed to localize this behavior just to the Deivalet zone).

If this issue occurs for all zones, you may want to take a look at your router’s DNS servers and adjust them to to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi,
Thank you for your swith reply. I think I have solved the issue (It didnt seem to be a network issue).

I looked through the Roon Audio Settings (See attached image). I had first selected the second option (Roon Ready Icon, “Devialet Expert 220 Pro” name) thinking this would be the best. This option gave me all the problems.

Next I selected the third (Devialet … Icon, “My Devialet-ETH” name). This worked!

Having tested an hour back and forth this third option consitently works well, the second (roon ready) option consistently gives me problems.

I wanted to give you this feedback.

Can I ask, Can you give some insight on how to understand the difference between option 2 (Roon Ready Devialet Expert 220 Pro ) and 3 (Devialet … )?

First is my phone & Fourth - Airplay I understand.

HI @Robert_Carlsson,

Devialet uses a few different protocols of communication, with Roon Ready, Devialet Air and Aiplay to facilitate communication.

As per our Devialet Air Documentation, seeing that -ETH part means you are using the Devialet Air driver while seeing the Roon Ready logo means that the device is using our RAAT Protocol.

Since the issue does not appear when using Devialet Air protocol, I suspect you may be affected by a known issue surrounding Devialet Expert devices. We have requested Devialet’s help with this and you can read the current status in the following thread for more information:

If the -ETH driver is working, I would suggest using it for the time being.

I will.

Thanks for the update!

Take care and keep up the great work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.