Tidal no longer syncs

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon nucleus, latest build.
Library about 22K tracks, 3/4 on Nucleus SSD.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet from my AT&T WiFi router (3800HGVB).

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Roon hasn’t integrated albums or tracks that I’ve added to Tidal while on their app. The only way to get them is to manually add in Roon.

I see under services that the syncing library is always on.

I disabled Tidal and signed out. Left it off overnight, then signed back in. No go, nothing updated and the sync is running full time. I manually turned Nucleus off and restarted. To no avail.

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Is the Ethernet connection directly to the main router or are there any other networking devices in use?

Is all TIDAL content playing okay, it’s just not syncing? Are you able to load the main TIDAL page?

Hi Dylan.

Yes — ethernet a direct shot to router, no other network device in house.

Tidal content plays fine. I cannot load the Tidal page from within Roon — it takes about 20 tries, get a: cannot load page check internet — sign. Then, finally, all the

categories display but it says: was not able to load content.

Outside of Roon everything is there within the Tidal app.

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Is there any change in behavior if you clear out the TIDAL cache?

• Exit out of Roon
  • Stop RoonServer from running in the Web UI
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to RoonServer/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting RoonServer via the WebUI and verify if the issue still occurs

I’ll give this a try tonight.
I want to make sure I’m doing the correct thing. Shutting down Roon Server from the web UI – I assume there’s a drop down menu for that (from memory I recall a restart button).
Is Tidal data the only thing in that cache, or is there a specific Tidal folder within the Cache folder?
Also – if the issue is fixed will I need to do anything with the removed cache folder?
Thanks, I appreciate the responses you’ve made.

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Yes, there is a Stop RoonServer button in the WebUI next to the Restart button, it should look like this for reference:
ROCK Server Reset-Stop

I would try moving the entire Cache folder, it contains TIDAL/Qobuz info and info regarding device icons.

If this fixes the issue, you can delete the cache folder as the cache folder gets re-populated once you start RoonServer again.

Okay – pardon my ignorance here, but I want to get this right.
Step one – EXIT OUT OF ROON. But the only way that I know of to get to the Web UI
is from the setting menu in Roon under Configure Roon OS, tap the IP under Nucleus. Is that the same as exiting out of Roon?
I’m doing that on the iPad with the Roon remote.

I can connect to the Nucleus on my laptop but that’s just for music transfers. The folder
that says Settings opens to exec command windows.
Do I need to load something else?
Thanks for your patience!

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

If you stop RoonServer via the WebUI, that should be sufficient to disconnect any Roon Remotes connected to your Nucleus. By exiting out of Roon, I meant exiting out of the Roon app on any PC Roon Clients you have currently connected.

Yes, you will have to use a PC to access the Nucleus Database. The previous article I mentioned - Database Location provides an overview on how to access it.

You would need to open Windows Explorer (the program you use to find files/access your drives) and type \\NUCLEUS\Data into the header. If you have a Nucleus Plus model, you can type \\NUCLEUSPLUS\Data instead.

Inside the RoonServer folder there should be a Cache folder. Please move this cache folder to your PC desktop or another location and then re-start RoonServer from the Nucleus WebUI. Performing this should clear out your TIDAL cache and generate a new Cache folder.

Ok, I did all this:
Went to the Web UI – INSIDE ROON, the only place I know to find it – and turned off Roon Server. Exited from that.
On my MBP I went into Roon Server folder and removed the entire cache to my desktop.
Then… How do you restart Roon from there? The control apps do not respond. There’s nothing on my MBP that allows me to do that. Or is there a missing step or download, as previously asked?
So I manually rebooted the Nucleus, and that got everything restarted.
Tidal is once again syncing my library constantly. Nothing from the last several weeks has showed up from Tidal that I haven’t had to manually load into Roon.
Should I wait a day or two? Or did I do something wrong?
Appreciate the time! Thanks.

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

The WebUI should open a browser tab, similar to the following:

On the right-hand side, there’s a Roon Server Software section. If you press the “down” arrow, that reveals a stop button.

Just to clarify here - the Cache folder would be living inside of the Nucleus RoonServer folder. Can you confirm you moved the Nucleus Cache folder and not the Roon Mac Remote cache folder?

The Nucleus Cache folder should also be accessible if you open up MacOS Connect to Server and type in smb://NUCLEUS/Data/RoonServer.

You would need to restart Roon Server from the WebUI, e.g. the browser tab you used to stop it. Once restarted via the WebUI, your Mac should be able to re-connect.

Can you please confirm that you used the above instructions to refresh the cache?

First point: yes, that’s the Web UI I used.

And again, yes, I used server connect on MBP, clicked the Nucleus Icon. Only folder there is data. Opened that, found Roon Server, drilled down to cache. Moved it to desktop. Had to manually reboot because I exited out of everything on the iPad, but it restarted.
I’ll check tonight —hopefully Tidal did update in Roon.

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Thank you for confirming the instructions you used. It sounds like you did all the right steps, so do let me know if there’s been any change in behavior since clearing the cache.

If the behavior is still the same, we should also check if it occurs when using another PC to host the Roon Core. I can provide the instructions on how to do that, but please confirm if the TIDAL cache clear helped and if you have a different PC which can run Roon.

Thank you!

Checked this afternoon – no change, nothing added to Roon database. I performed the operation again. No change. Tidal seems stuck on “syncing library now” but never syncing.
One thing I did notice (noticed it a couple months ago): On the Albums page in Library, the total is 1595.
If I go to Overview to see recently added, the total is 1773 albums. I don’t know if albums are counted differently in each section (or hidden albums – shouldn’t be that many)…?
BUT, no, I do not have a PC. That’s why I bought the Nucleus. Seems like this should be fixable from that. Isn’t it the ultimate way to run/experience Roon?

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Thanks for confirming the above.

No worries, I was asking more-so to find out if this issue was account/Core specific but we can proceed in a different way in this case. Can I ask that you:

1. Sign out of TIDAL in Roon
  2. Sign back into TIDAL in Roon
  3. Let me know the exact local time + date you perform this action in this thread

Once I have this information I can enable diagnostics mode on your Nucleus to see if logs will provide further clues. Thanks!

Logged out at 6:34pm and back in 6:35.

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Thanks for the timestamps here. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your Nucleus and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers.

I can confirm that the log-set has been received and I have requested the technical team to review for any signs of TIDAL issues when you logged in.

Once I have the completed report back, I will be sure to reach out once more. Thanks!

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

I appreciate your patience until I had a chance to consult with QA regarding your case.
They have looked over logs and it looks like something might be going wrong on a network-level here.
To better understand this behavior, QA has asked if you could:

Are you able to play TIDAL content properly in Roon without issue?

How are your router’s DNS servers configured? Are you able to manually specify a DNS server? If so, I would try setting them to Cloudflare or Quad9.

Is there any change in behavior following our latest Roon release from yesterday (build 528)?

Is there any way that you could temporarily host the Roon Core on another PC and verify if the behavior is the same?

I know you previously mentioned that you don’t have another PC to check, but is there any way that a friend or relative could come by and test to see if this issue reproduces on your network with one of their PCs?

This will provide a very valuable data point and allow us to know which direction we should investigate further in, the network or just the Nucleus.

Hi.
1…Yes, plays Tidal fine. Also if I select music thru Roon it shows up instantly in Tidal under recent. Just not the other way around.
2… No change that I can see.
3… No clue how to access my AT&T router. Suggestions?
4… I’ll have to look into the PC angle. That might take a few days. Is there a link to instructions?

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Thanks for confirming!

I have located this manual regarding your router, the DNS specific page is located on page 64 of the PDF (page 62 in the bottom right-hand corner).

As for logging into the router, you can use these instructions. You may however want to check with ATT first that you can make the DNS change without interfering with any of their services, but generally speaking using an non-ISP DNS server helps with networking issues.

I can provide the instructions:

1. Install Roon on the other PC
  2. Connect the PC to the same network (preferably in the same way that the Nucleus is connected)
  3. Open the Roon app
  4. On the “Choose your Core” screen, select “Use this PC”
  5. If presented with an unauthorizations page - press accept. You can feel free to switch between Cores as often as you’d like, but you are limited to one active Core at a time.
  6. Login to TIDAL and verify if the sync completes as expected.

I have contacted AT&T about their service supporting Cloudflare DNS:

I found this conversation to be very confusing, as well as the manual. I really feel like monkeying around in my router is not what I paid (lifetime) $699 for. And reading similar threads like Simoneratti’s, I’m beginning to lose hope.
I’ll send you my router IP and all passwords/codes if someone there wants to attempt this. I don’t. Seems like this is an internal Roon software issue anyway and not IT related.
IN ADDITION: now I can no longer add an artist that is already in Roon (through Tidal, added manually) to a playlist in Roon. Just get a blank playlist page and even if I type in the exact playlist name in the search bar, nothing comes up.
Yikes.