TIDAL on Plex...yikes!

No local server. They have their own web app in built for maintenance you connect using local ip. This is what Tidal doesnt work on. The plex.tv web app is via plex own servers and is on a different version to the local server. Their apps work you just cant use the local web app for it. Poor implementaion.as per the norm, no standards across all their apps.

1 Like

Same, local server

Simon,

I just checked and the web client on my local server is also 3.69.1.

I’ve always used the plex.tv web app and not my local server … what am I missing?

Tim

1 Like

Nothing, if you use the plex.tv web app then you ok. I dont I use it I use my local one which currently can’t see the tidal integration because its behind versions to the plex.tv one. Since they just release an update to the server they should have updated the web client on it at the same time. Plex constantly release things that are inconsistent which is annoying and ignore bugs that have been around for god knows how long.

Doesn’t matter if it’s played to a stereo, tv or cup via a string, without gapless I wouldn’t use it.

I got around the issue by maintaining an aac version of my library for mobile. At home it’s Roon.

The Plex iOS and Android apps do gapless playback when streaming your library, inside and outside of the home. Either direct play of FLAC, e.g. or transcoding to Opus.

Yes we know, but it didn’t until just recently.

Why? (I’m just curios). I simply don’t get this gapless thing. 90% of my music is not gapless by design (except for the classical, live and some special cases, Jean Michel Jarre, Pink Floyd to name a few). Everything else, including (or especially) the playlists, they just don’t feel natural (to me) without 2 or 3 seconds in between…
This is way I’m at the other end, gaped play is what I need :slight_smile:

Trying to listen to Opera that is not gapless is like constantly missing your step on the stairs.

4 Likes

I’m listening to a lot of clasic and some other stuf that needs to be played gapless and i get the idea, what I don’t really get is the fact that there is no media server/player out there to offer a smart option regarding gapples/gapped playing. It’s gapples or gapped, nothing in between (a manual/auto/smart way of decide what to play gapples and what not, not even a dumb switch gapless/gapped)…

I have a large collection of bootlegs. Live concerts with gaps is miserable.

I give up, gapless it is…

1 Like

IMHO it’s not gapless vs not-gapless, it’s more like playing as originally intended. Some albums are designed to be heard gaplessly (opera, live, classical), but even some rock albums are designed to flow (beyond just The Wall). When they’re not, the gap should be encoded in the audio, so even when you play it gaplessly, there will be space between tracks As The Artist Intended.

2 Likes

Makes me laugh that so far in to digital audios lifespan, gapless playback is still an issue. This should have been put to bed many years ago. Even some high end kit still struggles unless you use one peice of software, looking at you Naim here. Its really inexcusable.

2 Likes

You should start cry…there is no light at the end of the tunel. :grinning: These days is all about how developers intended! As for the developers… only good words!

As mentioned here:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/an-intro-to-tidal-with-plex/

Initially, only the hosted web app will be a high enough version to access TIDAL content. The web app bundled with Plex Media Server will be updated in the future.

For me, Roon still wins out.

The Plex music library is awful for anything that does not follow the “Artist/Album” structure. And good luck with multiple values for fields like Artist and Album Artist. Plex has no support for the Composer field either.

I have discovered more about my own library with Roon’s metadata enrichment than I would ever have discovered with Plex.

The Plex sync feature is nice, but it only syncs to mp3… blech. If it had the option for syncing the original file, it would be better, but the music library is still a deal breaker for me.

As for Plex lossless FLAC streaming, that is nice. But in my testing on IOS, streaming a 192k 24 bit track to my Dragonfly Red showed that it was playing at 44.1k… The same setup with wifi streaming with the Roon app maxed out the Dragon Fly red at 96k.

So while this is an interesting development that I will be keeping an eye on, Roon is still my preferred player…

2 Likes

I’ve been a Plex user for years. They move FAST. While the feature set looks skimpy right now you can be sure it will be remedied - they listen to feedback to a fault. They release new versions fast and furious by any standard.

2 Likes

I hope you are right.

I too have been using Plex for a very long time. I remember before there was a web interface for management and you had to use a Mac native app gui to manage things. I remember getting a discounted price on lifetime Plex Pass before they announced it publicly.

And ever since then, we have been complaining about the music library (I hate that artist appearance on “various artist” albums do not show up on the artist’s page) and the lack of composer support. For several years they have been glossing over those request. But then again, we have also been complaining that long for gapless play back. And now we have that, maybe some other features will be implemented too. Heck at this point, I would be happy if the Plex music library was as capable as even the Logitech Media Server library…

But I still think even if they implement all of that then Roon will still be my go to for music playback - at home at least. The metadata enrichment and the direct to device lossless playback features are things that I don’t see coming to Plex anytime soon.

Either way, I do like the direction the Plex guys are finally going - I just hope they close on some other things. I am definitely keeping an eye on things, though…