MacOS 11.2.2, Mac Mini 2014, 3GHz Dual Core i7, 16GB RAM.
Asus RT-AC68U router over wired ethernet to Core and Audio Devices.
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge
Approx 1,000 local tracks
Description of Issue
Tidal streaming no longer works for me via Roon for some devices. When I attempt to play any Tidal track on failing devices, I get the error “Unexpected error communicating with audio device” and Roon skips until it finds the next local or Qobuz (non-Tidal) track to play. If it’s a Tidal-only playlist, after failing on a few tracks, the error, “Too many failures. Stopping playback” appears and nothing plays. I have tried logging out/into Tidal again and restarting my Core. I also tried playing the same Tidal tracks on the Core (Mac Mini) via System audio and they do play via the MM’s internal speaker. Tidal does work on my Meridian 218 via Soolos, but not my Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, or my MacBook Pro when that’s set as an audio device. Qobuz/local files work fine on all devices. Can anyone help please?
After some more time looking at this, I have worked out the following -
It’s only happening on Tidal MQA tracks - and not on Tidal non-MQA flacs.
If I turn off my DSP settings, the MQAs play fine.
So, I’m thinking it must be to do with preserving the MQA tag or something?
I can also verify the above by turning on the DSP mid MQA track and it fails, skips and moves on to the next track.
This (DSP causing the failures) makes sense with my initial post, as I didn’t have DSP filters applied on those other audio devices that worked.
Please can @support advise if you can use DSP with MQA? Or how I can work around this (if possible)?
Can you reproduce this issue for me and note the time that the error occurs and what the track name is? After that, please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service) and we’ll take a look at what happened during that time.
Hey @Jonathan_Silver, sorry it’s taken so long for us to get to ya. This sounds an awful lot like a known bug when using Procedural EQ Mix on MQA tracks.
You mentioned the issue doesn’t persist when you turn DSP off – do you have Procedural EQ Mix enabled? If you turn just Procedural EQ Mix off, does the issue persist? If so, let’s get a screenshot of your Signal Path and take it from there.
Hi @kevin it is the procedural EQ within DSP. I’m annoyed because whilst I have Qobuz and use it as my main service, I had a free trial with Tidal and this expired on June 6th without having resolved the problem I raised on May 21st. Getting support from Roon really isn’t easy.
Hey @Jonathan_Silver, sorry for the delay, and thanks for clarifying that you do have Procedural EQ Mix enabled. As I mentioned earlier, what you’re experiencing is a known bug – there’s a ticket in for our developers to look at this further, but I don’t have a timeline for a resolution that I can share today.
In the meantime, don’t hesitate to let me know if there’s anything else I can help with, and I’ll be sure to update you when there’s more to share on this.