Tidal Sync Issue with Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Optimized Core Kit - Intel NUC running Rock - Version 1.7 (build 528) stable, OS Version 1.0 (build 186) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple Airport Extreme Router - Latest Gen 802.11 AC - Rock is hardwired via 1GbE to network, Synology DS418play, also hardwired via Linksys switch 1GbE to network

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Schiit Jotunheim DAC - USB to Lenovo T580 Laptop running Windows 10

With the latest Roon OS update I am running into sync issues as well, like a number of users on the forum. It seems like it times out at some point over a 24 hour period where Roon and Tidal lose connection. It’s been an easy fix by just logging out of Tidal and logging back in again. Once I log back my Tidal albums sync no problem with Roon. At this point its an annoyance everyday that I have to logout and login again to be able to resync and see all of my Tidal Albums/favorites/playlists. If I don’t do this then Roon just ends up in limbo searching for my Tidal metadata and I can’t play or search for anything within Tidal. I also am a Qobuz subscriber and that service works without any issues. Any suggestions for fixing this issue? I would prefer not to do anything drastic at this point. I just wanted to make you aware of the problem and hopefully it can get resolved with the next Roon Core Software update.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: TIDAL stops playing on Synology

2 posts were split to a new topic: TIDAL Sync Issues With ROCK

It appears from a relatively recent update of the native Tidal app that they are requiring users to more frequently authenticate. It used to be once you logged into Tidal they would rarely ask your trusted device to login again unless there was no use of the app for several weeks. I now notice all of my mobile devices -Apple iPad, LG V30+, Samsung Galaxy S10+, Hiby R5, Windows 10 Laptop, etc-all require much more frequent logins to Tidal. I’m wondering if these frequent login requirements by Tidal are also affecting the Roon Core App and are requiring us to also manually logout and log back in to properly sync with Tidal? It maybe something for the Roon Team to look into. Wondering if the Roon support team is seeing any of this behavior on their own local implementations/test Roon core servers?

A post was split to a new topic: TIDAL Sync Issues, being logged out

Hi George, I haven’t received any response from Roon support yet. I have been monitoring my Roon Rock Core and I haven’t had to logout and log back into Tidal since Thursday. I’m watching it over the weekend to see when it loses my Tidal metadata. Crossing my fingers.:smiley:

2 posts were split to a new topic: TIDAL - “Too many failures, stopping playback”

Hi @MAK1975,

I use 2/3 Roon Cores on a daily basis (ROCK/Windows 10/Sometimes Asustor NAS) and I have yet to see this issue on my end, and I haven’t heard of any reports from the rest of the team either, so this makes be believe that you may be experiencing an issue related to your enviroment.

If this behavior occurs again, can you please note the exact local time + date of the issue’s occurrence? This will be useful in case we need to go down the road towards diagnostics.

Hi Noris,

I just launched the Roon app on my PC at 10:34am US CST time this morning and I had to log out of Tidal and login again. If I leave the Roon app open on my Windows 10 laptop then it stays connected with Tidal. This issue appears to happen when I close the Roon app and relaunch it the next day on my PC. I am going to see if I have an issue with my mobile devices. Maybe its an issue with my Win10 Laptop. My Roon Core Server on my Intel NUC remains stable and runs without any issues. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi @MAK1975,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp!

Please do let me know if the same behavior is occurring on your mobile devices, as that would be an interesting data point to have.

Noris, I just tested this morning and my mobile devices have the same Tidal sync issue. Only way to fix is to logout of Tidal in Roon and log back in again. Then all devices can connect and stream once again. Tidal seems to drop out for me roughly every 24 hours. Before the last update I never had any sync issues with Tidal. I have a local static IP address on my network for my Roon NUC Core and as of now my Core been up for almost 14 days straight and stable.

Hi @MAK1975,

Do you by any chance have another PC around the house which you can try to temporarily host the Roon Core on and verify if the same issue occurs there? Instructions on how switch Cores:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Hi @MAK1975,

I’ve been discussing this issue with the technical team and in addition to trying the other Core there is one test that we could try performing first:

1. Log out of TIDAL in Roon
  2. Perform a full reboot of the Core
  3. Try logging back into TIDAL and verify if the same behavior occurs

Can you give this a try and let me know if it changes anything? Thanks!

Hey Noris,

I just followed your steps above tonight at 10:17PM CST. Logged out of TIDAL in Roon, rebooted my NUC Core, and logged back into TIDAL in Roon. Worked flawlessly. No issues was able to connect right away and start streaming TIDAL tracks. My whole library of TIDAL tracks appears. At some duration (say every 12 hours) my Roon Core seems to lose connectivity with the TIDAL service and then can no longer connect/play any TIDAL tracks. However, within Roon it still shows me as logged into to TIDAL. When I go to “Services” I have that spinning wheel icon next to TIDAL saying it’s updating/syncing my library, but it never stops trying to sync. Only have about 500 TIDAL Albums saved in Roon, so my NUC easily handles the workload. I have 99% free disk space on my NUC’s 232GB (usable) NVMe drive. Also, even when Roon Core disconnects from TIDAL everything still shows as up/okay (all Green check marks) when I browse to my NUC on my home network. I have setup static IP addresses for both Roon NUC core and my local Synology NAS which never lose connectivity with each other. When Tidal loses connectivity I can still stream tracks from Qobuz and also play local files from my Synology NAS. Thanks!

Hi @MAK1975,

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, ever 24 hours, the TIDAL token is refreshed. I’m curious to know if the same behavior is occurring following the procedure I outlined above, so please let me know if you get back into the state where you have to log out and back into TIDAL after the next 24 hours. Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: TIDAL Sync issues ever 24hrs

Hi @MAK1975,

Has there been any change in behavior since performing the procedure I outlined above?

Have you entered the state where TIDAL is not syncing any long or has the procedure resolved this behavior? Please let me know when possible, thanks!

Hey Noris, Tidal was working great until about 10 minutes ago. It had been up for at least 48 hours without me having to log back into it to resync my library. Right now Qobuz is working for me, but I cannot log into Tidal from the Roon app on my Windows 10 Laptop. Looks like you guys are having some issues currently with online services.

Hi @MAK1975,

Thanks for letting me know that TIDAL worked past the 24 hours which it usually did before!

Yes, we’re aware and working on these issues now, for more information please see:

Hi Noris, my connection to Tidal was up for several days without having to logout and log back into the service. This morning at around 10:45 CST. I had to log out and log back in to Tidal again. When I did that I was able to connect to my entire library. I am not sure why Tidal continues to have issues with its syncing with Roon. I currently don’t have spare PC or NUC that I can test to see if the issue occurs there. The fact that I have gone several days without any issues leads me to believe it is on Tidal’s/Roon’s end that is causing the problem. Unless there is an issue with my ISP. I have Spectrum Internet Service at 400/30 Mbps. Everything is hardwired via Ethernet and I have no buffering issues with any of my other applications on my network. Never had any issues before the last Roon update with Tidal not syncing correctly with Roon. I can go to the native Tidal App on my Windows 10 laptop and have no issues connecting/streaming directly. Also, the fact that there have been several issues with Tidal last week with the outage leads me to believe their service currently isn’t playing nice with Roon. Any additional insight at this time? Roon is still very usable to me, just a minor annoyance that every once in awhile I have to logout and log back into to Tidal. Thanks!