Tidal vs Amazon Music HD Sound Quality

I came across this today

1 Like

Just marketing BS for promoting MQA. Hardly fully accurate either as they fall to mention you can set the qualuty to be variable or fixed to the highest rate. It is noy always variable on connection speeds. TBH it also works better on mobile than Tidal ever does as its caching is very poor.

2 Likes

Calm down, it is what it is. Plenty of people are talking about Amazon HD and this is very pertinent to the debate. I know you don’t like MQA but plenty of us do, and as such this is very informative. In my opinion.

1 Like

I agree Chris. Thanks for posting the link.

1 Like

I don’t have any issue with MQA at all don’t know where you get that from I am firmly on the fence and will call out a bad version what ever the format. But this is blatantly MQA propaganda pure and simple it offers nothing to anybody. It basically says Tidal is better because of MQA funny they would say that isn’t it. Which I am sorry isn’t the case. It’s better because it works with hifi systems, offers bit perfect exlclusive control of audio devices etc , not MQA marketing bs. I am no fan of Amazon music but when you have press from a company strongly invested in another service comparing it to another in this way it gives no balance and is purely a sales tactic for MQA.

3 Likes

That’s where I get that idea from… your tone.
The article, whilst clearly extolling the benefits of MQA (What’s wrong with that) makes a perfectly reasonable comparison. Especially the information about the variable delivery rate from Amazon (That was news to me and probably many others) which means, unlike with MQA, you have no idea what you are getting.
Just to call a service HD means nothing.

1 Like

It’s onym variable if you don’t set it not to be. It works like Spotify does they don’t hide it at all. You can choose auto or have it set to the one you want. This is why I said this is wrong and misleading.

What they talk about is also only on mobile platforms. Now if we go here even MQA is half baked on mobile as you only get first unfold from Tidal app so need another device to get it full blown unless you have one of the LG phones… If your on Android that’s all you will get via Tidal app you need to pay for another app such as UAPP to make it work with an external DAC to get the full MQA experience. They don’t seem to shout that out do they.

It’s is well known that to get full MQA, you need an MQA DAC, even first unfold will be better than amazon HD and the delivery rate will be assured.

1 Like

In your opinion. Keep believing the crap that MQA marketing spray out. Have you heard it at all to compare? I have so can at least comment on whether it’s better or not and as I said Amazon delivers hires if you set it to, leave it on auto then like Spotify your at your bandwidths mercy as to what you get. Amazon sounds just as good from my time with it and didn’t suffer from the same buffering Tidal always does, because it can’t cache ahead enough ever. On my simple journey to work not once has Tidal managed to not drop out and buffer. Amazon I did manage all the way into London and as I set it to hires it’s hires all the way. I still have Tidal but have to use offline playback and download everything which sucks. I ditched Amazon not because it sounds worse as it doesn’t but because as company they have no interest in hifi or Roon so it’s pointless.

Tidal and Qobuz both work perfectly for me here in the States with no buffering issues at all. I love Tidal MQA when using my MQA DACS. I usually use Qobuz on non-MQA DAC. It’s all good. I dropped my Amazon HD trial one week in.

1 Like

The whole point of this is in context with Roon as per the discussion. Roon does not offer a mobile solution at this time.
People are often asking for Amazon integration. The link is pertinent to this subject and not an excuse for an MQA vs non MQA heated debate. We have had those too many time.
So, for my part, I posted a link that I considered helpful and interesting. Take it or lave it, discuss it for sure but the hostile tone becomes tiresome.
I just noticed mods moved the post to a separate thread, but I posted it in the above stated context.

1 Like

Exactly, it gets really tiresome that you can’t mention MQA without starting a ■■■■ storm. Some of us use MQA every day and very much like it.

1 Like