Time Between Tracks

Can the time between tracks be shortened ?

That‘s not possible with Roon, and for that matter, any other music serving/playing software I have ever looked at.

Pauses between tracks are an intentional decision by the producer, unless you are having problems with gapless albums, that Roon would replay gapless if everything else in the chain works as expected.

Crossfade might do what you want - unless the issue is with gapless not working correctly?

Ok, no it’s not a gapless issue, thks

Are we referring here to Roon lagging when tracks change? I certainly see this often enough. It’s not a gapless issue since many times Roon’s transitions are quick. But as many have observed, there are mysterious times when Roon just seems to run slow, and during that time, Roon can take a few seconds to even as much as 30 seconds to play the next track.

Crossfade doesn’t help that obviously, and has its own issues where at times it will just stop a track a few seconds short and then start the next track a few seconds in.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve never had 30 sec but 5 is not uncomon.

If you say that, do gapless albums always play gapless without silence in between?
And when having problems, are you talking about albums or playlists made up from varying albums in your queue?

This is not normal, maybe posting your case in Support - Roon Labs Community giving detailed system information will have Roon analyze your logs to find the culprit.

It’s not normal but it is not uncommon, and it is intermittent (for me). To me that indicates it’s not local but rather has something to do with the load on Roon’s cloud or the interaction of it with with metadata or streaming providers, and probably the former because it can even happen when the track is locally stored.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’re trying to tell me, but anyway, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s not normal, so best to open a support thread about it to have Roon staff analyze yet another such case and hopefully find the root cause(s)…

I don’t have such problems, but maybe it’s because I haven’t got a gigantic local library, tons of unidentified obscure tracks, monstrous playlists, masses of tags and what not.
Complaining only without adding more data points won’t help, for sure!

Just saying…

Does this happen only in playlists when the next track is a streaming track, but albums are fine (also when streaming and including gapless albums)?

Haven’t checked that so can’t say right now.

Asking because I reported something like this here (and I can still reproduce it):

Some software allows for pre loading of a track even full albums then memory playback. Eg JRiver.

Roon deliberately keeps pre buffer short in order to achieve sunc on zones

Anything over an odd second points to a network shortfall . Is it Ethernet or wifi

One other thing to check - although I don’t think it correlates with what you describe exactly - is whether the delay occurs with change of sample rate. Sample rate is not always the same even within an album, and it can take some DACs a little while to lock on to a new rate.