Top 10 never or rarely used features

Something like an “Album timeline” for artists … that would indeed be nice. Who’s gonna add the feature request, just in case? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@MikeD sowed the seed…
…you grew it.

Artists browsing view should be customizable. You see all artists in an album. Maybe if we could only see the main album artists instead of every other artist in the credits.

Well, it is not that bad to see every artist in the credits as long as you can see in an overview to whom this artist is related by showing more data directly underneath the pictures or by automatically grouping or by flow diagram or whatever, anything is better than the absolutely nothing you get at the moment. All pages severely lack overview and metadata, they are all very primitive, absolutely not what you expect from 2020 premium software that has providing metadata as it’s biggest selling point.

2 Likes

I think your other least used feature might be the option to have black on white display!

Is there an option to display black letters on white background? Where is it? Never seen it. If you are referring to something else I’m afraid I don’t understand your reply

Settings > setup > theme?

The Details text (Albums, Artists, Composers, Compositions) is always White on a (fading) Dark background, I think. No way to change this (not even by manipulating the themes - because of the background gradient).

The white letters on black background is the same for both themes. Offcoarse I have checked that within the very first minute I tried Roon

Light & Dark Themes

1 Like

I’m talking about the album reviews and artists bio’s. Like in this example the artist bio is readable as long the background is the picture. Once clicked open the background becomes black in both themes, both are completely unreadable for me after four or five lines of text. If Roon only had a black theme I would not even have thought about using it, the same as I don’t use Spotify or Tidal. I used to use Deezer, purely because of the non-black interface. I know many people love black interfaces, to my eyes they are practically unusable.

OK, got it, and stuck with it for time time being I guess. :confused:

I really love Roon and consider it to be one of the most important features of my sound system. I can see there are many different types of userS and each has a perspective. To continue to make Roon the best UI there is much to do. A big hole is the gray space within albums and artists. I wonder if this could be improved using crowd source techniques. There are many of us who would put up great visual and historical pictures and words if they could be uploaded and integrated into the Roon database for all to share. I used J River a few years back and they had a lame but interesting theater mode where they would even go out and pull in photos from the internet (which can also be dangerous) and create a slide show. I get tired of looking at Uriah Heep at 75 years old, and not the original band anymore.

One more thing I think would be helpful is robustness features for network connectivity and streaming. Thanks to all who work on making this UI better. Maybe we can all help.

1 Like

I definitely don’t want crowd sourced information in Roon.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what Musicbrainz is.

So, is that supposed to change my mind? I hate crowd sourcing for almost anything. I read the Roon album critque usually written by a hand full of critics and sometimes the artists bios. I would not want to read or see a bunch of input from other random people. I think that is what Scott was proposing.

musicbrainz data is in Roon. Thankfully.

Wikipedia is crowd-sourced. Who doesn’t use Wikipedia?
The quality is the process, which importantly includes responsible curators.

1 Like

Musicbrainz is a very serious metadata source, it’s not just someone’s hobby project, it is higly respected. Roon also uses Musicbrainz metadata because it is one of the best sources out there.

1 Like

This is probably OT, but there is an Roon app for Apple TV out. It’s in test, so search this forum to find it.

I use the Apple remote almost only now, to stop/play music. (Music normal route, not Apple TV).

Don’t even need tv on.
In addition when I let Roon Radio play, I can just look up on screen to see who is playing.