Top 10 never or rarely used features

Never use Discovery. In fact, until recently, I forgot it even existed.

I absolutely agree.

By the looks of this thread you can’t please everyone! There are many features mentioned here that some Roon users say they don’t use, yet others do use them. Remember, just because YOU don’t use a feature doesn’t mean it’s not important to someone else. I happen to think Roon is incredible and I keep discovering new and helpful nuggets as I explore deeper.

4 Likes

That’s true. Posters are just responding to the OP and listing features they rarely use. Roon is so feature rich, most people probably only use the portion that fits their use case.

I am trying Overview lately, but I don’t think it will “stick”.

I never use the menu choices:
Genres
Discover
Artists
Tracks (how is this ever used by anybody??)
Composers
Compositions
Tags
History
Support
Community

I strongly wish we could edit the menu!!

Very occasionally I use Albums sorted by Descending date added

I have toyed with DSP but generally do not use it (mostly out of my lack of knowledge). Don’t use HQplayer.

I do use playlists the most, and some bookmarks and tags (growing over time). I use Focus to create the bookmarks.

I like both the artist bio and album reviews, I wish there were more of them (even multiple sources for the same item). I would love Roon crowd sourced data with option to suppress. I would like orders of magnitude more artist images available.

I don’t use themes.

I would use Top Songs by Artist if it was implemented differently and consistently.

I don’t use keyboard shortcuts, but I should learn them.

I use Displays occasionally, would use them more if they were more configurable.

I don’t use Language conversions but glad they are there!

I use the Alarm and Sleep timer every day… oh wait, no that doesn’t exist :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - which is to say, I don’t use Extensions.

1 Like

I would, because then we could fill in the blanks. However, I wouldn’t want the crowd to be the public, just Roon users. AND, you should be able to choose it like you do “roon” or “file” for most things.

1 Like

Well sign up for a musicbrainz account and start fill in the blanks there, they will show up in Roon sooner or later.

2 Likes

I share Roon with my husband but seeing user profiles are not really user profiles, as everything is shared across profiles and this behaviour can’t really be turned off or toggled, there are quite some things I can’t use. For instance, I never use the function to add an album to the Roon-library. I also will have to stop using tags, as we don’t care to be bothered by each others tag use all of the time. For the same reason I (can) never remove a recommendation, as this is not a special recommendation for the profile user, but a Roon-wide recommendation. In fact, I think I should rather not be playing anything at all in Roon, as my plays are reflected in the Roon-wide recommendations anyway :wink:

1 Like

Myself and others would agree that Roon’s concept of profiles is, for all practical intents, useless.

6 Likes

Roon Radio
Live Radio
Composers
Lyrics

3 Likes

Roon Radio (I hate all autoplay)
Genres
Composers
Any feature that defaults to track rather than album - i listen to albums not tracks

Just FYI tags and playlists are separate among profiles. Oddly bookmarks are not. I agree though that profiles are very under-developed.

Obviously, if you don’t use it, you don’t use it. No debate there.
But, I think it is a pretty neat feature to select a Composer (say Burt Bacharach) and hit the “Play Now” button. You can get a very interesting exploration of where that composer has been. Often some very interesting discoveries!

2 Likes

I have dabbled with the DSP, but that is definitely a Redundant area for me now.The most used feature for me is tagging, this function really lets me control my listening moods and review music that i have read or discussed with others socially for a latter date, when I have time to listen. I have found that locating a track or album in Roon, then religiously tagging immediately allows me to develop my scope and tastes, instead of dwelling inside my own collections.

1 Like

interesting… can you start a new thread with your tagging approach, some examples?

It is a neat feature, and I use it if it pops up on the Discover feature. But having it on the sidebar and clicking it to explore composers is not something I find useful.

It’s not even remotely complex, I hear music or read about it, I tag it under a number of tag options I have created.
For instance I watch videos on YouTube by Norman Maslov, he is a member of the vinyl community and talks about a lot music I enjoy or new music, so I tag the music under a tag called, Norman Maslov, but also by year of release and genre/sub genre.
So I have created a call up structure that is interrelated and logical.
The key is the discipline to act as you hear or transfer tracks from apps like Shazam.
Simples

2 Likes

Something like the descriptors as used on rateyourmusic.com would be very nice, specially for the Tidal/Qobuzz collection, preferably user editable. It would be a great automated start to personalise your collection and make it more browsable instead of searchable.

1 Like

I’m no a rym user so maybe I’m missing something - but with Tags in Roon you’ve something to use like those descriptors, don’t you?

Yes, but it would take a lot of time and effort to manually tag 4300 albums in my case while this kind of information is readily available. The descriptors on rateyourmusic.com are pretty acurate and usefull. Besides, isn’t that what we pay for?

3 Likes