Top 10 never or rarely used features

I see. For local content, I imagine this could get imported somehow in an automated manner to ROONTRACKTAG / ROONALBUMTAG. Not very comfy …

Allmusic presents moods, this may be similar and maybe even available to Roonlabs as part of the Rovi data. I haven’t checked but I believe mood data has been requested before.

musicbrainz sometimes has (artist) links to rym, but my impression is that’s not that commonly available at album and/or artist level.

BTW I don’t think we were/are paying for what’s not there. :sunglasses:
But paying entitles to request features, so that’s OK. Even so we’re in a thread about unused features here so what’s written is probably lost on Roonlabs …

I did many moons ago. There were probably others.

Picking music based on mood would seem to be a natural for Roon.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true.
But we are paying for metadata and the use of it. That’s something that seems to get forgotten by many over here.

My impression is that Roon invested more in getting a better playback experience out of the metadata (and the data collected from Roon users) the last couple of months - see Valence. It’s not too interesting to those curating their music collection themselves, but obviously it’s great for streaming service use cases and for those who enjoy (guided) music discovery.

No idea if just presenting more and more interesting information about the music in a library is something to expect from a future Roon release. To me, it doesn’t seem to be very likely. :slightly_frowning_face:

But until other software catches up, I’m sure I’ll keep using Roon - and one never knows what the next release will bring. :wink:

1 Like

No, I’m afraid not.
It’s not about presenting ‘more’ metadata, it’s about presenting ‘any’ metadata in all the places where it makes sense to get a better overview of your collection. Again, just a picture, artist name and album title is very minimalistic and close to no information at all, it just doesn’t cut it.

For example, if I click on a genre I get album highlights taht looks like this

But when I click on view all albums I get this

See the difference? Why are the release dates and the album ratings gone now? Why aren’t they shown in the “albums” page by default? The data is obviously already there. Why is there no genre information? why is there no record label? Tags maybe? or any other kind of preferably user preferable information. In the “albums” page there is nothing at all which in my view makes this page pretty useless or at least not interesting to use because it completely lacks overview. It looks very cluttered and cramped with too many pictures and way to less information. There is nothing Rich and enhanced Metadata at all on the “albums”, “Artists” and “Composers” pages. The “Artists” page is filled with artists that are bandmembers. Offcoarse I see a whole of artists I have never heard of on this page because it doesn’t tell me directly to which bands these artists are related. Yes I could click a hundred times back and forth to get the same information as I could in one overview page so why am I complaining. It’s not about ‘more’ information’ it’s about ‘any’ information. I have been ranting about this for years now but I don’t think it is ever going to happen.

5 Likes

Many of us have strong opinions, bravo.
Many luv features others don’t like.
We are a diverse group.

Bought the Nucules and lifetime and am grateful to have it.

Every question I’ve asked, someone has helped me out.

Go Roon!

2 Likes

One that shall not be mentioned :mask: has links to various sites , get to a Artist page and you see ’

Click away (AMG = All Music)

Its a balance between clutter , information and a clear screen , each to their own. I personally would show the Release Date - Album Titile, but then wouldn’t Albums sort by Release Date as opposed to Album Name ?

I find Album view nigh on useless anyway there are simply too many to navigate (6500 in my case), I tend to go via Artist first then sift down to where I want Then they are defaulted to Release Date Sort. That’s excluding Classical BTW

If you want dates , go via the Artist page , No dates go via Album>Focus>Sorted By Date

The cat has many ways of shedding its skin :cowboy_hat_face: Horse for Courses !!

Well, that is exactly my point. It is not because there are too many. It’s probably because it gives you nothing to hold on to other than a big pile of pictures whith just an artist name and album title. Offcoarse it is not easy work with that.

Your example is just about one artist. Wouldn’t it be nice if I sort my entire collection on release date that the release dates are actually shown directly beneath the albums? When I focus on three genres, wouldn’t it be nice if the genre tag is shown directly underneath the albums? When I focus on several record labels…etc etc.

Wouldn’ it be nice to have any use definable information directly underneath the albums all the time?
The human brain needs something to hold on to to be able to remember things, just a big pile of pictures with only an artist name and album title is simply not enough. I realy don’t get it why people are so afraid of having some more information here. It does not lead to clutter, it is quite the opposite, it leads to a much better overview and a much better handling of your collection. Who wouldn’t want that?

For example, show me my tags directly underneath the pictures (optional offcoarse). What is the use of a tagging system when the these tags are constantly hidden underneath a dropdown menu? The human brain remembers things by constantly seeing them, either consiously or unconsiously. By showing the tags I can get a much better grip of actually using them effectively. It creates overview, it creates a better handling, it creates a better Roon.

1 Like

A tie in with rateyourmusic.com “Descriptors” would be pretty cool, but allmusic.com already has “Album Moods” and “Album Themes”, perhaps these could be integrated?

1 Like

From 3 years ago. Don’t hold your breath. :smirk:

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I would never have found that with a search. “Heuristic”… my word of the day :joy:

1 Like

IMHO, the Overview page is essential. I use that probably more than any other Roon feature. It just goes to show how different we all are from each other in how we use Roon, and what features are important to us. I’m 99% happy with Roon (I wish Playlist editing were better), but hear many people clamoring for features I couldn’t care less about. To each his own!

I strongly agree with this… the overlay data should be consistent and configurable! It is core to the experience and use of Roon and we all want it different!

Whether you select Light or Dark theme, the reviews and bios always have text in white with dark background.

Artists have links in Roon, too - to Wikipedia and to artist homepages (if this data is available). I wouldn’t care much for links to AMG since what they have is already present in Roon.

Me.
You actually have a very strong and well thought out argument for what you want. I can understand why it is so compelling to you.
But, personally, I just don’t care about being stimulated by lots of data. When I want that (about twice a year), I pop open my copy of JRiver and have a huge spreadsheet of unappetizing data. And an expression language.
If Roon does add more information (discretely), I won’t object though. I’m just apathetic on this point.

It’s not about adding lots of data, it’s about adding one or two lines of user definable data and/or search/focus filter generated data. It is a matter of any data at all instead of nothing, It really helps in identifying your music at a glance. There is nothing more uninspiring than a page cramped with pictures with only a name underneath it, that is what the album page is at the moment.

I have been arguing this for years and each and every time I’m being ‘accused’ of wanting to turn Roon into J.river. That is actually something I want to avoid at all costs. I dislike spreadsheets for music as much as anyone else. Of all the players I have tried over the years J.river is about lowest on my favourite list.

1 Like

Oh don’t we know! :wink:

Maybe I have just glossed over the whole thing in my apathy, but this is more focused than the general ‘we need to use more metadata’. Certainly there is room for this!

1 Like

Never use Compositions, genre and rarely playlists, Roon tags. Pretty much everything else I have or do use, albeit not all the time.

1 Like