Topping D90 MQA - RoPieee

Hi @spockfish.

Thanks again for all your work on RoPieee.

I am hearing an issue with the Topping D90 MQA DAC when it switches formats from DSD (either native or DoP) to PCM during playback. There is a very short, but loud, crack/pop as the format switch takes place. Once switched the music plays normally.

I tested the DAC with Roon on a windows machine and the issue did not occur.

My workaround for now was to have Roon convert everything to PCM, no issues switching different PCM rates. (tested mix of 44.1 all way up to 352.8k PCM).

I did see that the D90 MQA uses XMOS XU216 usb chip (as opposed to XU208 in D90 model).

Any thoughts ?

Gear is:
Core: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 1.7 (Build 571)
Networking: ASUS AC-5300, WiFi endpoint, wired core
End Point: Pi4 (also tried Pi3 ) RoPieee 2.535, USB to Topping D90 MQA
End Point: Windows 10, Topping ASIO driver (v4.82), Roon 1.7 (Build 571), USB to Topping D90 MQA

The only thing I can imagine that you play with Roon’s ‘Resync Delay’.
That setting (you can find it in ‘device settings’) is especially for this effect.

Thanks Harry,

Forget to mention is original post, I did enable the resync delay as well (tried a few different delays 100ms to a full 2 seconds), did not seem to help.

Harry,

I did some more investigation.

The issue does not happen if I have the D90 MQA connected by USB to Roon Remote running on either a Windows 10 or macOS machine. (and did not need to set any ‘Resync Delay’).

Anything I can try to help troubleshoot RoPieee ?

Thanks.

Gear is:
Core: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Roon 1.7 (Build 571)
Networking: ASUS AC-5300, WiFi endpoint, wired core
End Point: Pi4 (also tried Pi3 ), WiFi, RoPieee 2.535, USB to Topping D90 MQA
End Point: Windows 10, WiFi, Topping ASIO driver (v4.82), Roon 1.7 (Build 571), USB to Topping D90 MQA
End Point: macOS (v10.15.5), WiFi, Roon 1.7 (Build 571), USB to Topping D90 MQA
Topping D90 MQA: Firmware v1.24

There’s nothing that I can do about this. This is up to the vendor where they need to look specifically in the USB (firmware) implementation.

The fact that the issue does not appear on Windows or MacOS doesn’t say that much as they drive the DAC differently then is being done on Linux.

Thanks for clarification.

I’ll follow up with Topping, if I hear anything back I’ll update this thread

1 Like