TP-Link fiber optic conversion questions?

placing a cable covering over the cable will change the mediums dielectric properties and possibly destroy any improvements gained…then again it could make things 10 x better…I tried some over my head one time and the sound got a little veiled :wink:

I highly doubt it will change the light properties in the fiber located in the core of the insulated cable.

@MiveraAudio take a chill pill Mike…im kidding … I thought that would have been painfully obvious

You never know. Most serious statements from many audiophiles are worse. Ever go on Computer Audiophile?

I subscribe to the if you think you can hear a positive difference and have no issue with the cost then go for it, otherwise it’s of no real use to you camp. Everyone hears differently.

A difference is not always positive and nor is it better if its more expensive…a difference is just that - a difference - and if you like it better or less than what you had before is totally up you.

This applies to everything in audio…cables, speakers, electronics and room treatment and tweaks. Video too.

Yes in many cases as long as there’s some sort of difference whether it’s objectively degrading or placebo, if you made up your mind that it’s a change for the better, it will be for you. Your imagination does all the rest. With fibre one thing I know for sure is all it’s going to pass through is the data from the source. Not the noise. And as long as it’s passing the data through, you’ll never improve upon it. If it can’t handle the throughput, you’ll get dropouts. But good luck finding an audio format that is too large for a gigabit or 10g fiber connection.

I was using the Brooklyn for a year plugged into a PS Audio PowerPlant 5. Then I finally got around to connecting it using my HDPlex linear power supply [$400] that I was already using for my microRendu and SonicTransporter. The HDPlex is so much cleaner. I was surprised. I think it’s a really good match for the Brooklyn.

I haven’t tried the fiber optic converter, yet. But yesterday, I changed my internet service from a shared line in the neighborhood to direct fiberlink. So now I have fiber into the house, a 1 meter cat 6 to the router, no coax. It is also an improvement. Not sure if 2 more fiber converters will make a difference.

What HDplex model do you have?

Anyone looking for dirt cheap ZBL based pre-terminated cables look here:

http://www.fs.com/c/bend-insensitive-fiber-patch-cables-1326?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=FB-Conversions#matrix

Any fiber connections upstream of your server will have absolutely no impact on sound quality. The only reason fiber is beneficial for audio purposes is to isolate the noise from your server and network gear from getting into your DAC. In order for that to happen it must be downstream of the server and network gear.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try it out.

1 Like

Thanks for these links Mike!

1 Like

I just got two TP Link MC200CM converters but I’m not sure whether to set them on “auto” or “force”. I feel the product instructions are really vague. I’m getting data to pass through which I tested on a laptop, but Roon won’t recognize my Roon endpoint being fed by the converters.

I’m positive I have attached the cables correctly. I’m going from my router, ethernet to switch, ethernet to MC200CM (auto mode) to fiber patch cable to second MC200CM (force mode), ethernet to roon endpoint.

Which endpoint? I believe the MC200CM only works at gigabit speeds and won’t work at 10/100M speeds. Just double checking.

I got the 100M model because my Pi3 endpoints don’t support gigabit ethernet connections and my microRendu endpoint supports BOTH 100M and 1000M connections.

My endpoint is a DEQX PreMate Plus. This converter (TP Link MC200CM) was recommended by Steve Silberman of Roon Labs (back when he was still at Audioquest) and Michael Lavorgna of Audiostream so I figured it would work well with common high end network connected DACs.

I guess my PS Audio DirectStream isn’t high end then :grin:

Jokes aside, some networked DACs like mine don’t support gigabit connections so won’t support your MC200CM model. It’s got nothing to do with high end or low end.

I can’t see info on the link you provided about the ethernet connections supported but worth checking firstly.

1 Like

Come to think of it, maybe I should ask the man himself @steven_silberman for advice on getting these TP Link optical media converters to work. Steve, can you comment on whether to set them to “auto” or “force” and whether I need the 10/100M version or the 1000m version? I purchased the 1000m version.

Does he have your DEQX model? If not, it’s a question for DEQX.

If I had only a microRendu (which supports BOTH 100M AND 1000M) your model would be fine for me.

But since I also have Pi3 endpoints your model won’t work for me, as these don’t support 1000M connections - same as my DirectStream DAC.

The 100M model I linked above is much more compatible with most endpoints, both high and low end :grin:

@Alan_Langford of DEQX, can you speak to whether the DEQX Premate Plus is 1000Mbps compatible? If not, I can easily return my optical media converters to Amazon and get the 10/100M version.

Force.

See this for diagnosis:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1135.html

Please find out whether your endpoint has 1000Mbps Ethernet port or not. If it’s 100Mbps Ethernet, you need MC100CM instead of MC200CM, or MC110CS as Sean suggested but you’d need to purchase a different kind of fiber.

1 Like