Track fade out (Pause, Stop, Skip Track, Sleep, ...) and fade in when restarting

We exactly know that any crossfade (and dsp in general) will ruin the signal path and that’s why Roon devs and many users ignore that.

I will never use a crossfade between tracks when I listen a full album or when I do an “audiophile” session while enjoy my setup.

But, often, I also like to do listening sessions when I listen, for example, dance music. That music, very frequently, is in a lossy format and songs sometimes last very long (the “Extended version” of some tracks). So, while listening those kind of music, in those kind of mood (no audiophile mood) I just want to skip tracks or change tracks without that ugly “rough cut” that remember me the first Winamp on Windows 98.

I really don’t understand while we still need here to ask for that feature (or extension), I think that everybody here is a little angry using a so advanced player as Roon and, in those circumstances, have to desire to use the freeware Foobar that has this feature since when it’s born.

1 Like

I’ve consolidate these feature suggestions into one topic … now the voting sits at 13.

I tried to get the dates in order but then found a couple more old topics, apologies for that, unfortunately there’s no “easy” fix to reorder post using the forum software.

1 Like

The way I would like The “Pause” button to behave is:

1. When I click it, it stops immediately (which is current behavior)
  2. When I right-click it (or click-and-hold for touch screens) then I get 2 more options:
    1. Fade out current track before pausing
    2. Finish playing current track before pausing
1 Like

Great idea, @Ingo_Weiss !

When you push “pause”, playback stops almost instantaneously, which means you can effect the audio stream in nearly real time by stopping it.

So you’re saying that to achieve this, you’d need to either (a) do some work to the audio stream on the endpoint (which presumably some endpoints could theoretically be able to do but it’s not part of the certification process) or (b) reprocess a “faded” audio stream on the core and send it out to replace it and cut it in at just the right time in the middle of the currently playing buffer which is unlikely to feel instantaneous?

It’s funny, I keep having the feeling in a number of recent threads that there are a number of users for whom the “costs” or constraints of the core architecture are not worth the benefits. Or at least that they’re not aware of the benefits that having a “core” provides in the same way that an “older generation” of users is. They (and I include myself in this number sometimes) want all the features benefits of a purely cloud-based streaming service and sometimes all the benefits of a proper core. But more and more, personally, I’d be willing to consider giving up many of the benefits of having a core. But at least at this point, that wouldn’t be Roon.

@brian I think I remember reading DSP volume being done in the end point, not the core, and changing it is nearly instantaneous.
If correct, any fade scheme could be implemented that way, no?

1 Like

It would have to be, and that is what makes it a large project and not a small one.

Roon supports a great diversity of endpoints. Even if we only targeted Roon Ready and RAAT endpoints, it would take a period of time to get partners to adopt a new version. Some partners would have to put in serious labor of their own if they have implemented custom audio output modules into their devices.

I’d really like to do this…it’s high on my personal feature wish list and I’m sure we will get to it at some point, but I’m not sure when.

3 Likes

As a start, could you do it just for devices connected directly to the core, like an HDMI connected receiver?

+1 On the request - I was amazed when coming to Roon to realize this was not available - JRiver has it! Volumio has it! Come on… - I would gladly trade the All-Music reviews for this feature… just in case you need to drop something so we get this, you have my vote, drop the reviews, bring the fade-in! :grinning:

Is there a way to track if these kind of things are at least being considered? Seems like this suggestion has gone in to a black hole - 3 years after it was posted still, no feedback no feature. Much cheaper competition has it and works well - it would be great to know if we are being heard.

Continuing from my previous comment, I started thinking that it is significant that a feature like this, in a sense, very basic and of course available in every product from the competition, has not been addressed in 3 years. Not to mention - and I could be wrong - but in this thread I have not seen feedback from Roon.

The message that I am getting is that Roon sees itself as providing a TOTL product therefore, well, perfect. It almost feels like this kind of suggestion/requests are ignored out of principle given that they cast doubt on Roon’s TOTL-ness…

A couple of comments would be great in order to show we are heard.

v

What is the problem investing a day of development to implement a track fade in and fade out as an option? I do not understand why this very simple feature is not implemented? Tons of features are less important for me and I think lots of people agree that it is terrible trying out new tracks on streaming services and especially skipping to the next track if I do not like the actual one. I have to do the fade out and fade in manually. So may be a Roon guy can explain why it is so complicated that this requested feature is still not implemented?

1 Like

@brian has posted multiple times in this thread

Ah - hope it was the timeline fore release of the feature! :grinning: - because that what we would love.

v

I may be in the wrong spot for this, if so please move it, I’d like to see a fade in fade out when tracks are paused and then restarted, preventing high surges to the speaker when restarting. This may have been requested before, if so I apologize. This feature is available on other programs, one which comes to mind is Aurender, and it comes in pretty handy.
Thanks

This would be a nice feature. Toggle on/off for fade in for those that don’t want it.

2 Likes

Do speakers need this?

For me it would not be for the speakers but more for my comfort. I don’t tend to listen at high volumes.

A quick search on the forum under feature requests for fade came up with this. I think you would be better off adding your vote here.

2 Likes

My basic understanding as an Electrical Engineer tells me speakers are primarily inductive, so they should limit inrush current inherently in their design.

My guess is that it isn’t bad for the speakers, unless they are already set to a volume that may damage them.

Maybe the user is thinking of this more as an “aesthetic” feature?