I have just signed up and uploaded Roon 1.3 to my 2013 MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.12.4. My iTunes is all on a USB-connected drive. I have scanned this drive three times now and many files are missing. I’ve uploaded one of them to Dropbox here
I have checked that the files are in the physical folder with the iTunes folder - they are AAC and they are there. I have told Roon to scan the specific album folder for this track and still they don’t appear. Please advise.
Hey @Julian_Treasure - we can take a look at the media, but in the meantime some common reasons for this are listed here.
Are you pretty sure the files don’t have DRM?
Thanks Mike. This album was ripped from CD, so no DRM. I looked at that list before and can’t see any reason why these files would be missed out.
Hi @Julian_Treasure — Thank you for your patience and verifying that information for us. Both are very appreciated!
I have tested the provided media and am seeing the same results on my end as well. I am going to be passing my report over to our QA to further investigate. Once I have some feedback I will be sure to update this thread promptly.
Why does this file have a (non-standard) .aac extension?
Once I renamed the track to ‘06 Swords And Knives.m4a’, it was immediately recognised by Roon and played without a hitch:
That’s interesting. Wikipedia says:
AAC is the default or standard audio format for YouTube, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS, iTunes, DivX Plus Web Player, PlayStation 3 and various Nokia Series 40 phones.
If it’s the iTunes default, why would Roon not recognise it?
I’ll do a search and see how many .aac files I have. Maybe I can do a global find and replace with .m4a?
The .aac extension is supposed to be used for ‘raw stream’ AAC contents. For consumption, AAC usually comes in a wrapper. From the same Wikipedia article:
To make matters even more confusing: the file you shared appears not to be AAC at all, but an Apple Lossless (ALAC) track, which is not the same (AAC is lossy by nature). AAC and ALAC files can share the same .m4a extension.
It"s a mystery, to quote Toyah. Why has iTunes given my files that extension? I just searched and I have 16,000 files with .aac. Do you think it’s safe to change them all to .m4a? I have always ripped at ALAC format.
I have tried manually converting a sample of the files to .m4a and it works. And they have appeared in Roon. This is simply changing the extension, not using iTunes to try a format conversion.
Ok don’t try this at home, at least not without a backup (which I have) - but it works! I am batch changing the extensions using NameChanger and the files are flying into Roon. It’s fun watching them arrive by listing songs by date added. It takes a while (about two minutes per thousand songs) but it’ll be worth the wait.
Thanks for the help. Looking forward to the whole Roon and nothing but the Roon now!
Great – enjoy!
@eric: You may want to update your report to QA…