Tracks skipping and not able to load, frequently disconnects from Tidal

Core Machine (iMac 2020 16GB running Big Sur 11.2.1, various end points - USB directly out to a Schiit Modi, wired network to Naim NDS XS2, wirelessly to mobile devices, Roon 1.8 build 756)

I’m finding that Roon frequently skips through all tracks on an album and doesn’t play. It happens on both local and Tidal files and it also happens on wired, wifi and mobile devices. It happened in the previous version of Roon too. I’ve rebooted my modem/router and my Mac which the Core is based upon but to no avail.

Any help appreciated. I am not particularly IT literate and therefore the simpler the solution and the instructions, then the better.

Love the new interface - just want to use it!

Sorry for the trouble, @Stuart_Edwards1

You mentioned that this happened before 1.8 too – Has this always happened for you, or were things working for you at some point?

If you play to System Output of the Core machine do you experience the same problems?

The answer to the first question is a bit of a muddle really. We moved house in December and it occasionally happened so I didn’t use as much (and didn’t bother to get a fix as I knew we were moving house as I put the problem down to operating on poor wifi).
Now we’ve got a good wired connection and don’t suffer from poor connectivity in any other instances - streaming video, downloading etc.
System output is and has always been an issue since the glitching started in late December/January.
Hope this helps. Thanks.

Hi Dylan, have you any further thoughts on this please? Thanks Stuart

Hi @Stuart_Edwards1

Apologies for the delay here.

Can you try changing to Google DNS in your router’s settings? We’ve seen this help in the past.

If you’re still seeing issues after that, please make a note the next time this occurs of the time and the track you were trying to play. We’ll enable diagnostics and take a closer look.

Hi Dylan, thanks for coming back to me. I’ve gone into my router settings and it does not appear to allow me to alter my DNS. It is a BT Homehub, provided by the UK’s largest telecommunications company and they tend to protect their own kit from alterations.
Any other ideas please? Thanks Stuart

Just looking a little bit more on the help page for Google DNS, there appears to be the opportunity to alter the settings on my Mac. I’ll try this tomorrow as it is getting late here in the UK. Thanks

Hi @Stuart_Edwards1

Was there any improvement after setting Google DNS on the Mac?

Hi Dylan, I haven’t had chance to alter the settings yet (busy with work!). I’ll have a go at the weekend and let you know. Thanks

Hi Dylan, I’ve altered my settings on my Mac. I am still having problems. I played an album locally on Roon yesterday from my Mac to my external DAC and it worked fine. Today, the same album won’t play. I am also finding that when I open the Roon app on my iPhone that often it tries to connect with my iMac core and fails with a message of “initialising”. Can you help please. The system feels quite flaky at the moment. Every time I try and use Roon, I’m not sure what will happen.

I am also getting an error message on the Tidal page stating “please check your network connection” too.

Hi @Stuart_Edwards1

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of response here! I wanted to check in and see if you’re still having the same trouble here. Please let me know!

Hi Dylan, no improvement. Especially with regard to Tidal which constantly shows as not being able to connect due to network issues. I don’t have that problem when accessing Tidal by desktop or browser. Any help appreciated. I am actively not using Roon at the moment and feel like I’ve chucked some money away. Really disappointing. Thanks Stuart

Hi @Stuart_Edwards1

Can you reproduce the problem, let us know what track you tried to play, and then use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.