Transferring music from external drive to internal SSD in Nucleus rev-a (ref#2C3UVC)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· I'm having trouble adding music to my library

Describe the issue

Please understand, I am not a computer person. Please answer as you would to your grandfather who's computer knowledge is not what most of the Roon users is. I am planning to install an internal ssd into my Nucleus rev-a. I have read and understand the physical installation and how to format the drive. What I don't understand is how to move the music from the external drive where the music is now stored, to the internal ssd. I watched your instructions and it showed 'drag and drop'ing the files from my laptop to the Roon page on my laptop. Right now the music is stored on the ext ssd in a folder named 'music'. Within that folder are all the artists from ABBA to ZZ Top. Within the ZZ Top folder are their individual albums. If I use drag & drop can I just drag the 'music' folder from the ext drive (connected to my laptop) to the 'albums' or 'artists' section of the Roon webpage on my laptop? Or do I need to open up the 'music' folder and copy the ZZ Top folder to 'albums' or 'artists' page? Or do I need to open up the ZZ Top folder and then drag and drop each album into the albums section of the Roon webpage? Dragging and dropping the 'music' folder would be the easiest way for me, but I want to do it right.

Just another user here, wondering about your laptop‘s operating system.

First, setup a watched folder on your Nucleus‘s internal drive, as recommended by Roon’s help pages, see screenshot …

If on Windows, just open the music folder, then select all items by holding the ctrl then a keys.
Then drag all marked folders over into Roon’s window.

1 Like

Before I saw your reply I just dragged and dropped the whole ‘music’ folder from the ext ssd attached to my laptop. The ext ssd was where my library was before, attached to one of the Nucleus’s usb ports. It worked that way fine. Slowwwwly, but fine.
I also added another file loaded with M-CH music to the internal ssd the same way from another ext hd, and it worked fine also. All the albums integrated into the appropriate artists correctly.
I have since loaded a couple individual album files into the internal storage without problems.

Another question if I may please. After the import process and going thru the library and making the edits needed, I decided to do a forced back-up. Is the backup not stored on the internal ssd? I needed to use dropbox. Is dropbox the only choice?
The initial backup was also very slow and failed a couple times. It did finally complete after the 3rd or 4th try. Will each subsequent scheduled backup be this long or does Roon just scan for any changes ?
Thanks

Not on the primary one because this is reserved for Roon OS and database.

If you have a music storage SSD in the Nucleus then you can point the backup there, but it makes no sense because if the Nucleus dies you wouldn’t have access to the backup without removing the SSD (and even then it could be wiped out)

You can backup to any USB disk that you attach to the Nucleus or over the network to SMB storage, e.g., a NAS.

You need to backup the database to either an attached USB HDD, or, a network location. Dropbox is not an ideal option, because you will probably never be able to restore directly from it. Roon’s backups are THOUSANDS of little files btw.

I would use a new USB HDD for backups, btw and not re-use the SSD with music files.