Transferring my SSD from one Nucleus to another. Will it work?

So here’s my situation. I bought a Nucleus one month ago and installed a Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I converted my music library from mp3 to flac, transferred it to the SSD, and enjoyed listening to my music for about a week. Then my Nucleus mysteriously died. Roon technical support authorized a return and replacement. The new Nucleus arrives in a few days.

My question is, can I simply pop the SSD into the new Nucleus? Or does it need to be reformatted again? I’m really hoping not to go through the transfer process again, which took days over the network share. Has anyone tried this or know the answer?

It’s just a drive with a file system and folders with files in them. Shouldn’t matter going from one Nucleus to another.

Changing platforms is where problems could arise.

If it was formatted by the other Nucleus, then it should be okay. Just make sure you have a backup of the music files elsewhere in case you have to transfer them over again.

1 Like

Good to hear. The backup is a sticky issue. I have all the original mp3 files, of course. But I converted them to flac and wrote them to the SSD in one step, so they’re only on the SSD. Now that the SSD is out of the Nucleus, I thought I would copy the flac files from it just in case I needed to start over. Unfortunately this particular drive (Samsung EVO) isn’t recognized by either Windows 8 or 10 (or maybe it has something to do with how, exactly, the Nucleus performed the formatting, IDK; at any rate this is a widely reported problem with no clear solution). Samsung Magician may be the answer, but if I don’t need to do this copy then I would just as soon stop now.

Just curious:why did you convert your mp3s to flac? Do you think this will improve the sound quality? AFAIK, that won’t happen. You can downgrade a flac to mp3 but you can’t upgrade… Or am I missing some point here?

1 Like

Nope. You cant recover anything from lossy audio files. So you can safe that step. Doesn‘t add anything.

1 Like

What format type does rock use when it formats a drive?

I converted the mp3 files to flac because the Nucleus was not handling the mp3s very well. There is a separate thread describing the very strange problems I had encountered with my original mp3s, Nucleus suddenly thinks 75% of my library is corrupt. This issue was eventually solved by one of the forum editors who told me that my linux-based Nucleus might not handle all mp3 files (which is exactly what I was finding) even though my Windows-based Roon core did (also what I found). So I converted everything to flac. The result was that (1) the Nucleus was suddenly aware of 30% more music than before and (2) the problems I was having went away.

Unfortunately, a week later the Nucleus experienced some kind of catastrophic problem while I was trying to reset its database. That’s when the return was authorized. But I assume this problem was unrelated to the first one. Sigh, computers.

1 Like

I believe it is EXT4.

Ext4, at least that’s what one of the community moderators thinks (Moved SSD from external USB to internal SATA - #14 by bbrip)

that was me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Yes its EXT4

1 Like

Good to know, thanks. Is there any plausible reason why my Nucleus-formatted SSD isn’t even recognized by Windows 8 and 10? As I mentioned, some people report the Samsung EVO having similar issues (outside the Roon world) but that doesn’t really prove the case for me.

So you need third party software to recognize the drive in windows 10. DiskInternals Linux Reader Is one of them. It won’t allow write access but it will allow read and you could backup the files to your ntfs windows drive.

1 Like

I‘m not a windows guy, so I‘m out here.

I am running WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) so I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

1 Like

Ah, now I get it: DiskInternals Linux Reader is a Windows program for reading a Linux-formatted drive. Will try it.

1 Like

Yes, EXT4 is a linux format which Windows does not natively recognize. One reason I stick to external drives, you format them in ExFAt and just move them around without issue, Makes Migration easier, and you need an external drive anyway to do database backups (or do them to a NAS or other computer).

1 Like

I agree that would be easier. But not as nice as having everything tucked away inside the Nucleus.

Just installed DiskInternals Linux Reader. Unfortunately it doesn’t see this Samsung drive either. That doesn’t seem good.

When my Nucleus went south last week, I noticed that the network share was nevertheless alive and that all my flac files appeared fine. I could even listen to music through the network share (really!). So I am resisting the obvious conclusion that the SSD is somehow malfunctioning.

Could he backup the drive, reformat it to exfat, put his files back and install it back into the nucleus? If nucleus recognizes a exfat usb drive I don’t see why it won’t recognize the same drive connected to the internal SATA bus.

I think this idea was already shot down elsewhere in this forum. (And at the moment I can’t do the backup anyway.)