Transport: playback has failed due to playback parameter negotiation with audio device

FWIW, I’ve seen that error on Geek Pulse before, but it resolves with a powercycle - something to do with USB I suspect.

This error shows when I switch from Roon --> HQPlayer --> DAC I switch or try to switch back to only Roon --> DAC. I use the latest build of Roon and version 3.12.0 of HQPlayer. (I tried 3.13b2 but that version crashes very easily. This also happens where I try to transfer the queue from HQPLayer to the DAC (Violectric V850). I have to restart the Mac Mini to solve the issue or logout the user and log back in. Quitting RoonServer or switch off and on the DAC does not help. Stopping HQPlayer does not help as well.

Setup: Mac Mini (late 2012) with the latest Mac OSX El Capitan version.

Hey @Maarten_Boerma – can you double check that you’re not trying to access your DAC using exclusive mode in multiple apps at the same time?

That could cause the issues you’re describing here.

Thanks, @mike. If I understand you correctly once I switch away from my DAC, which I have set up in exclusive mode, I cannot get back to it? Or might it be that HQP takes it into exclusive mode and doesn’t want to let go at the moment I wat to switch away from it? I have searched but have not found an option to set or unset exclusive mode in HQP.

You just need to disable the device in Roon if you’re going to use it with HQPlayer.

Alternatively, if you’d like Roon to control it, you’ll need to close HQPlayer.

Okay, so there is no way of doing A-B testing easily? Not a problem just experimenting.

Just wanted to update on my 818v3 problem. Every time I update the firmware, I get the error message and no sound. I have to not only hard power-cycle the 818v3, but also completely reboot my PC. Just power-cycling the 818v3 doesn’t do it.

I’m having the same problem with the Transport error. Here’s my setup:

The error occurs with Roon running on a Windows 7 computer connected to a Yamaha A-S801 DAC/amplifier. It seems to happen with all formats and sampling rates, including DSD.

What’s the problem and fix?

Have you tried Event Driven Mode?

Also, give this a read and let me know some of the information listed there, and we’ll look into this further.

I’m giving it a try. No errors so far. Also haven’t tried the ASIO driver Yamaha provides.

Still having this issue, but I’ve found that changing the Max Sample Rate to a different value then changing it back gets rid of the error.

I’m getting the same problem with a LHLabs Pulse Infinity.

Music randomly stops, (no error message) and if I hit play again, I get the “Transport: Playback” error seen above.

Happens intermittently, at multiple rates. It’s usually fixed by a hard restart of my DAC (restarting Roon does not seem to make any difference).

I’m not sure I understand why this happens… If Roon is using the device in exclusive mode (or ASIO), why does playback stop in the middle of a track?

Can I provide you with logs of screenshot to help troubleshoot this?

Hey @Patrick_McLaughlin,

We have this DAC in our Test lab and it appears that it has partially broken ASIO drivers, though WASAPI/CoreAudio drivers are pretty good.
Would you mind try to use WASAPI/CoreAudio and report back to us how it goes?

Thanks.

Hey @emoon3,

Roon 1.2 was released with re-written audio architecture. Would you mind to take the update and see if it resolves the issue?

FYI: I have iFi iDSD Micro DAC and it is solid for me.

I just updated. This happens sporadically, so I’ll see if it comes up with the new update.

Thanks!