Trouble adding Jriver folders to Watched Folders

I have a music collection in several folders on a set of internal and external solid state drives (a Windows 10 machine).
These folders were all created by me ripping my CDs to them with Jriver.
When I add them to the Watched Folder list in Roon, I don’t see anything imported.
The folder names are there in the Watched Folder list, and I do the rescan over and over, but nothing gets
imported that I can see.
The format I use in Jriver is Album/Artist/songfilename.
So, for instance, I browse in the Watchlist add-folder facility and add D:/musicroot that has all the album/artist subdirectories directly underneath. But the songfiles are never added.
Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn’t Roon drill down and find the files?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I’m not a Windows guy, but maybe try d:\musicroot

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

All the Ripping programs that I’ve used [dbPoweramp, XLD, EAC, iTunes and many others] rip to the following Folder structure…

Artist / Album / Track Names

I.e. An Artist Folder would contain all their Albums in a separate folder each

However, you comment above that your Folder structure is in the

Album / Artist / Track Names format

And to be honest, I’m not clear on how Roon deals with that structure

As a test, you could try moving a few Albums to an “Artist” folder and point Roon at just that folder to see what happens

What Greg says. You have used forward / and not back \

CJ a Windows person.

I browse to it, so the slash direction is not an issue; I’m just a past Unix guy, so I don’t often type backslashes unless I’m escaping something. :slight_smile:
But why would Roon be so picky about the directory structure I have and not just drill down to it? I don’t need Roon to organize it, just import it so I could search as I want.
Roon doesn’t say you need things in any Roon-approved structure. Roon strongly advises that I should not use “Organize” and instead use “Watch.”
I think it’s a significant problem that Roon wants your music collection to be stored in a just-so Roon-approved pattern.
And you can’t even give Roon any information about how it’s stored. It just wants what it wants or you are out of luck.
I have the lifetime subscription so this is a pain. I have a very large Jriver library and I can’t deal with re-making it just for Roon.

Let’s move this to support and see if @mike can help.

Cheers, Greg

And furthermore I don’t even care if Roon puts everything (every filename) in a flat file so I could grep (meaning search) for a set of songs using any search key I want (Album name, Artist, Title, or even a wildcard or Regular Expression on some advanced level). Jriver is smart enough to actually store all the Artist + Title info in the filename itself, which I appreciate as very forward-looking on Jriver’s part so you could find something easily even if the tree-structure gets mangled.

Thank you!

So, if I understand you, when you have two albums of the same name then it goes like this

/Best of Both Worlds/
|/Van Halen/
|
/Jay-Z/

It’s funny but the Meta-Data that JRiver uses seems to almost always have a unique album title, like my Greatest Hits albums,
they say (the artist’s) Greatest Hits. I think there were a few times where it happened as you say, and I do have a Greatest Hits folder with 3 subfolders on one of my drives, each with an Artist’s name for the particular album. Thanks for being eagle-eyed about this side affect.

Hey @bellhead – sorry for the trouble here.

To be clear, we don’t require any specific way of organizing files on disk, and Roon will do its best with whatever you throw at it. You can have 10,0000 files in a single folder, or have every album perfectly tagged in it’s own folder. The quality of the metadata retrieved will of course vary, with one of the biggest factors being how accurately we can identify groups of files as albums.

Any guidelines we’ve published are more about how to get the best results from your initial import. Certain clues (like sensible tags for Album Artist and Disc #, or folders called Disc 1 or Disc 2) simply help the accuracy of our identification process.

Yes it should, so we just need to figure out why that’s not happening here. Can you give this article a read and see if it rings any bells.

If that doesn’t help, let me know the details of your setup and we’ll take a closer look.