Trouble getting Roon running after core reboot

Yes, I think so. This was my original reason for posting the support request:

Restarting Roon Server does indeed correct the running time information.

Thanks for checking in on this thread.

Hello @Jesse ,

Hope you have been well, I wanted to check in with you. Our QA team took a look over your ROCK logs and it looks like something very strange happened on May 4th. We are not aware of what this error quite means, so we are escalating this up the chain. Once we have additional feedback, we’ll reach out again, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @noris ,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Best,

Jesse

Hello @Jesse ,

Thank you for your patience here while I’ve checked with the team on this. Looking over your logs, it looks like upon startup the time and date are wrong, they indicate 2015 instead of the actual year.

We are theorizing that perhaps your BIOS Battery is out of power and whenever you start up Roon, it is getting the incorrect time, and this might impact Roon from starting properly.

Also, can you please confirm, if you try to restart just RoonServer from the Web Interface, does the unit boot up properly?

If you have a chance to swap the BIOS battery out, please do let us know if there is any change in behavior afterward. Thanks!

Thanks, @noris – I think that is the problem. I looked through the BIOS pages again and found the error message, “CMOS battery failure,” logged 1/1/15. BIOS has the correct date and time, however. Do you think it might have been a one time fault and that clearing the error message might help, or is it clear that the battery needs to be replaced?

Restarting Roon Server from the web interface works with no issues.

Hi Jesse,

Not Noris, but, I thought I’d pop in and give my friendly fellow user comments.

The CMOS battery maintains date/time and other info when the computer is powered off, once a computer is on, the date/time fixed, the information will hold until the next time you power off. Restarting the RoonServer from the interface does not power off the machine so would not cause the issue.

I would replace the battery. If it has had a fault once, imho, it is only a matter of time.

5 Likes

Hi @Jesse ,

As @Rugby mentioned, I too suggest replacing the BIOS battery as it can lead to more of these issues if not replaced.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.