Trouble Setting Up Ropieee Software on Raspberry Pi 4

Mr. FIx It thanks for the clarification. The way I read your note was that Diet pi will work. Again, thanks for the clarification.

Greg

Diet pi will run on the zero no issues but you can’t install the roon bridge function as it won’t run.

Yes, I am sorry, I should have been more clear. I use the Raspberry Zeros as web servers or Linux boxes for whatever purpose I need. Not Roon or RoPieee.

At this point, I’d suggest sticking with the 1g 4, with a case that acts as a heat sink, especially if you are using USB (DAC dependant).

flirc.tv make a very nice case

Stupid autocorrect :blush: thanks @mike

Thanks for info on the case.

Nathan and Mr. Fix It - Need your expertise again. I got the Pi going and was able to see it on the network. I then went the “audio tab” in Roon to see if the Pi would show up as a Roon Bridge. I assume you would see the PI as a under Roon Bridge under the “Audio Tab”. Since I did not see the Pi, I decided to turn off and restart the Pi. I was able to see to Pi as a “Roon Bridge” under the “About Tab” (but it still did not show up under the “Audio Tab”). I tried the find the device function in the “Audio Tab” but nothing showed up. Can you help me to setup the Pi as an Roon Bridge. Thanks for your patience and help as I am learning Roon. Greg

The unit will only show up when it has a DAC connected and detected…so DAC must be turned on. Or a HAT if you have one must be configured in the Ropieee GUI

The GUI is accesses at the IP address of the Ropieee or if you haven’t changed the host name via http://ropieee or http://ropieee.local will usually work too

Mr. Fix it- Thanks for the info. Issue was as you described regarding DAC. So I am up an running. I did have some issues pointing music to Pi but got it to work (hope I can figure out what I did). Very pleased with the sound. Running a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 and it really sounds very good with direct wired ethernet into Pi with USB out to Pre Box. Had tried optical connect with Chromecast Audio and did not like the sound. Then tried Sonos to dac via coaxial cable and was OK. Seems that the USB is the best. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND HELP AS I LEARN. Thanks again. Greg

Greg

2 Likes

Ive used many different DAC’s with Ropieee and its very plug aNd play that works well these days. Even my OPPO Sonica DAC at Native DSD512 is great on LAN based to USB on a RPi3b and the with the RopieeeXL option having access to the same DAC’s via Spotify/AirPlay and DLNA is even better.

Mr. FIX it - what do you think of Roon?

Sorry some bad typing in my reply above.

What’s to hate? What’s not to like :sunglasses:

Been using it over 3 years. Ropieee since it was born too

Thanks for input on Roon. I assume previous message you meant it works well with your DACs. Appreciate all your help. Greg

Mr. Fix It, Hope you do not mind have a couple of additional questions.

So far I have one endpoint up. My question does Roon allow you to point different music to different endpoints at the same time (like Sonos). Understand you can group music by endpoint. Can have all your Sonos endpoints play at same music (but not other endpoints such as my Raspberry Pi).

Do you use something like Sonore or Allo USBridge Signature for your USB setup? What would you recommend or do you feel it would be needed with the Pi 4. Also can you hear a difference in sound if you use a linear power supply? Any suggest for power linear power supply?
Like I said I am happy with the Pi 4 hardwired to ethernet.

Thanks for all you help. Greatly appreciated.

Greg

@Greg_Edwards,

You can group like-zones together, so for example all RAAT (Roon) zones can be grouped.

I’ll let others answer regarding other USB solutions and power supplies. Personally, I find that the PI 4 works very well, with a well-engineered standard power supply.

Nathan good to hear from you again. I guess I did not ask my question well.

Currently I have 3 Sonos Connects (this is before Roon). I could send jazz to one connect, second could send R&B and the third soft rock, So each connect would be playing different music. My question is can I setup each endpoint to have different music?

Thanks again for your kind help.

Appreciate the input regarding the PI 4. I am very happy with the sound with the Pi.Ropieee through the ProJect Pre Box S2.

Thanks

Greg

Yes, of course.

I used to have 7 or 8 Sonos endoints, and I miss nothing about them.

Nathan thanks for confirmation. Appreciate your help. Greg

1 Like

A grouped set of similar zones can play only one stream…but ungrouped any zone can play any stream … 10 zones ungrouped can play 10 different streams (you would either have a lot of kids or maybe trying to confuse the household :slight_smile: )

Note some endpoints don’t work as grouped due to their internal limitation, KEF LS50W and LFX I seem to recall can’t be grouped, I think there are others. edit Chromecast cant be grouped in Roon but can in ChromeCast app

More info here

You can play one stream to a group and other streams to another group assuming you have the need.

Caveat is that in order to manage playing multiple streams one puts additional stress on the CORE system performance and so while your core might play fine to 1 or 2 endpoints, 5 might be more than it can cope with…meaning you need a more capable/powerful Core system. Like maybe going from an i3 to an i7 and adding more ram. Networking speeds and wifi will also be things to check.

Endpoints do not have any performance issues (other than their own limitations) either grouped or as a single zone. It’s all dependant on the CORE.

Hope that helps you and others.

I too have setup Sonos systems in the past for others and I dont miss them either :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mr. Fix and Nathan, Thanks for your kind help and support greatly appreciated as I am learning.

Thanks again.

Greg

Glad it helped …and maybe helps some others along the way.

1 Like