Troubleshooting Nucleus Connectivity and Software Issues (ref#KJU0X5)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

· I can't connect to Nucleus

Describe the issue

I have a Windows 11 computer and a Nucleus-connected by ethernet. Three major problems. One: The Nucleus is NOT visible on File Explorer. Two: In Storage settings, the path to my music folder is in RED (when I try to REMAP the folder, there is an error that states that the folder is not available.) Three: when I launch Roon software, it asks me to select an audio area. When I click on it, the only option is the Nucleus (which has no speakers). I've uninstalled the software completely and reinstalled--no help whatso ever. All three problems remain. I have screenshots. Please help. Thanks

1. Try going to \\nucleus in the File Explorer. It happens that Windows does not show it automatically under Network in the File Explorer

2. What is your setup there? Where is your music folder?

3. Did you enable any devices in Roon > Settings > Audio? What device do you want to use as the output?

1 Like

Here is an update.
I used System Restore on my Windows 11 computer, moving back a few days, to the last time I used the Roon software–I looked up the last date in the History section.
Once with a new Restore date, I uninstalled Roon software in the Settings>App area and rebooted. Then installed NEW Roon software.
I’m thrilled to report that now the Roon software plays my music. Yeah. This means that when I’m asked to select an Audio zone, I now see my Win computer listed as an option, whereas before only the Nucleus was listed.
However there are two issues.

1. The original problem showed NOTHING in my network area. See screenshot. After the Restore, there are items listed in the Network area (see screenshot) BUT the Nucleus is still missing.
    Question ofr Suedkiez: what do you mean \nucleus ? When I use this term, searching the network, nothing comes up.

2. When I go to the Storage area, the path to my Music folcer is listed in RED. See screenshot . I have of course tried to map the Music folder (and rebooted), but the path still remains Red. My music still plays probably because all my music is ALSO on the Nucleus.

Please help with the two remaining problems.
    Thanks so much!
    BTW–I am able to play ROON just fine on my phone and on a Pixel laptop, independent of all the problems on my Windows computer. Also the “back door” view of Roon looks fine --see screenshots.

Have you tried explicitly typing in \\Nucleus into the location address field in Windows File Explorer? As @Suedkiez says, Windows has a habit of forgetting about non-Windows devices in the local network.

Here’s an example; I have a ROCK/NUC system as my Roon Server, and currently, once again, Windows has forgotten about its existence:

I need to type in \\ROCK into the File Explorer’s location address field, press return, and voilá:

Thanks for clarifying the suggestion, Geoff.
I typed \Nucleus in the search box, in the Network area of File explorer. See two screenshots, one showing the search box, and one after I typed \Nucleus. Immediately after I typed this in the search box, there is an ERROR, stating that there is no Nucleus

So although you are able to locate the ROCK in Windows on your system, I’m stumped on how to reveal the Nucleus in mine.
I stand by for other suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
Note: I can now play tracks with Roon, but long term I absolutely need access to the Nucleus, if nothing else this is where I can copy and retrieve Roon backups of my history.
Again, thanks everyone for your help.
Anne

There was a typo: I typed \Nucleus (not \Nucleus) --see screenshot.

Hmm…when I type TWO backslashes, \, it comes up as ONE backslash, on your Support site area.

Yes, the backslash also serves as an escape character, to remove special meaning from some other characters. Therefore, to get two visible backslashes you have to type three. It’s a bit confusing when typing Windows path names.

You shouldn’t type it into the search box (which searches for files) but into the address bar:

It might still not work if you do this. Let us know in this case. (You might need to use the IP address of the Nucleus instead; some routers don’t provide name-to-IP translation)

Question: in network settings, which one should I chose --public or private–in order to view the Nucleus? See screenshot.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Suedkiez!!!
When I type \\Nucleus in the correct area of Network “space” of File Explorer, I soon see an icon that says DATA. When I explore this icon, I see all the items I would expect to be associated with the Nucleus.
Now I can back up my data.
What a GEM you have provided for me. Thanks once again!

1 Like

Right click on the icon and create a Shortcut on your Desktop.

AJ

Private. Roon uses network multicasts to discover devices and they are blocked when you choose public. (Note the descriptions for each option in smaller print)

I’m glad that worked. You can map one of these folders (Data or anything below) to a drive letter, so that it always shows in your File Explorer side bar.

Or this …

Thanks for the additional help.
I now have a short cut to the Data folder on my desktop. What a relief. I’ve had the Nucleus since July 2021, and not being able to “see” the Nucleus has been an on-going problem. I surely hope that this new solution resolves the problem, in a stable manner.
Again, thanks so much Roon Community!

1 Like

Oh dear!!
One of the problems I originally ran into has RESURFACED. The problem is that when I launch Roon, it asks me to select an Audio area. The ONLY option given me is the Nucleus --which has NO speakers. When the system is working, the Audio selection area allows me to select my Windows XPS–with it’s speakers.
I’ve had this problem several times over the last few days and always resolved it by backtracking in time, using System Restore. Today the ONLY system Restore point, was automatically set for early this morning. Of course I’ve used that, but even so, I’m stuck with only ONE, and non-functional Audio option. I’ve completely uninstalled (then rebooting) and then reinstalled, but I have the same problem.
I KNOW that the Nucleus is there–since you folks taught me how to view it in File Explorer. Also using the back door view of the Nucleus, it looks fine. Also the Roon software works FINE on my Android phone and my Pixelbook Go laptop --so the problem is isolated to my Win computer.
It seems like it is a networking problem, but I don’t know how to solve it.
See screenshots.

i appreciate your help!

More info. I rebooted the Nucleus. No help.
There was a software update. No help.
I explored the Windows settings -sound area. See screenshots

Standing by for suggestions…

I would look at Windows Firewall (or the third-party firewall application if you are using one) on your PC to make sure it has the firewall exceptions necessary for Roon.

Thanks for the suggestion Geoff. I do use AVAST. See two screenshots that imply that Roon is allowed in and out. And that the Network 2 is trusted.

Also logically it is unlikely to be a firewall problem. ROON was working fine on April 13. I’ve used System Restore at least 5 times in the past week. Each time I used Restore, I took it back to a time that Roon was working --namely when I clicked on the “Select Audio Zone”, I saw two options–the Nucleus as well as Windows XPS–the latter are where the speakers are located.
On April 14, I had several Restore points where the Audio was working. Unforutnately ALL of these Restore points were wiped out on April 16. There was only ONE Restore point (which had been introduced automatically–all the older Restore points were GONE). Unfortunately, the one remaining Restore point is at a time when the Audio area of Roon ONLY offered me the Nucleus, and not my Win XPS speakers.
I called Dell yesteday and they extensively reviewed the Restore point issue. (The tech also very kindly looked at many options within Roon software). The point is, I don’t think it is a firewall issue, but more likely a networking issue. Recall that Roon works JUST FINE on my phone and on my Pixelbook Go --so the Nucleus per se is working fine. The problem is that my Win XPS computer is listed as an option when I use Roon on my Win XPS computer.
Standing by for other thoughts. And THANKS in advance!

Wow, Geoff. I decided to not be so defensive and at least TRY your suggestion. I turned off the Avast firewall, rebooted the Nucleus, and launched Roon. VOILA!! The XPS desktop is listed as an audio zone option. HOORAH!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks Geoff!!!
Consider this ticket solved.
Have a great day.

1 Like

Obviously I turned the firewall back on. And the XPS is still listed. So I absolutely learned something in the process. If only one Audio option is listed, turn off the firewall, reboot the nucleus, and relaunch the software. Then turn firewall back on.
Have a great day.