Troubleshooting Roon connectivity issues with dCS Lina DAC (ref#WF1DPI)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

Other

Difficult to connect to Roon Ready dCS Lina DAC

I can play Roon tracks with my iPad as an output device without any problems.
The dCS Lina DAC can play Tidal Connect streams (without Roon) without any problems.

When attempting to play Roon to the Roon Ready Lina DAC, the DAC can be selected as an output device but when I try to play an album, often no music is played. Roon skips a number of tracks after unsuccessful playback and eventually gives the ROON Error "Too many failures, stopping playback"

Track names appear of the display of the DAC but music is not played.
After powering on the DAC it takes a long time for Roon to detect the DAC (30 seconds).

After multiple attempts and powering off the server and DAC I can eventually connect to the DAC and then playback works well.

EQUIPMENT

ROON Server - M2 Pro MacMini 16 Gb RAM Roon V 2.0 Build 1392 - Ethernet to router
Local music files - USB external hard drive , ALAC music files
Tidal streaming
72,000 tracks

Control - iPad Pro 2nd generation mid 2020 Roon V 2.0 Build 1390

Roon Ready DAC - dCS Lina DAC & Clock - Ethernet to router

Router - ISP provided TPLink VX220-G2v

Internet 52 Mbps DOWN / 15 Mbps UP

Hi @Sunrise,

Thanks for writing in and I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with your dCS DAC. From our end, it looks like you’re hitting a failure to prepare error:

Warn: [dCS Lina DAC] [zoneplayer/raat] Failed to prepare dCS Lina DAC in 15000ms. Giving up
[1090] 04/15 13:03:06 Warn: [dCS Lina DAC] [zoneplayer/raat] failed to setup any endpoints..giving up
Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream] All streams were disposed
Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream -> endpoint] All streams were disposed

Can you attempt a factory restore on the DAC? We can also refresh your RAATServer database to see if that helps.

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

· Other

Describe the issue

Difficult to connect to Roon Ready dCS Lina DAC
I have previously posted a support item ref#WF1DPI that has expired. @benjamin advised me to both reset to dCS DAC to Factory Settings as well as generate a new RAATServer instance. I did both these actions. The system functioned well but the intermittent problem came back.

I can play Roon tracks with my iPad as an output device without any problems.
I also sometimes have problems connecting to the dCS Lina DAC using Tidal Connect. Below is a copy of my original support request.

When attempting to play Roon to the Roon Ready Lina DAC, the DAC can be selected as an output device but when I try to play an album, often no music is played. Roon skips a number of tracks after unsuccessful playback and eventually gives the ROON Error "Too many failures, stopping playback"

Track names appear of the display of the DAC but music is not played.
After powering on the DAC it takes a long time for Roon to detect the DAC (30 seconds).

After multiple attempts and powering off the server and DAC I can eventually connect to the DAC and then playback works well.

EQUIPMENT

ROON Server - M2 Pro MacMini 16 Gb RAM Roon V 2.0 Build 1407- Ethernet to router
Local music files - USB external hard drive , ALAC music files
Tidal streaming
72,000 tracks

Control - iPad Pro 2nd generation mid 2020 Roon V 2.0 Build 1407

Describe your network setup

Roon Ready DAC - dCS Lina DAC & Clock - Ethernet to router

Router - ISP provided TPLink VX220-G2v The router doesn't have IGMP Snooping functionality.

Internet 52 Mbps DOWN / 15 Mbps UP

@benjamin my problem has returned

Logout from Tidal and test local music files only.

Hi @Sunrise,

Sorry to hear your issue with the dCS Linda DAC has returned.

I’d also be curious to see how playback performs from @wklie’s suggestion above.

Take note of the specific date, time and track playing the next time you experience failures in playback. Thanks! :+1: