Turning off Core on Nucleus?

Hello,
Is it possible to shut down the Roon Core, while keeping the Nucleus on?

Go to the management web page for the Nucleus box:

On the left-hand side of that screen there’s a section labeled “Roon Server Software” with a restart button. Click the down arrow on that button and select “Stop”

That will stop the RoonServer software, but keep the Nucleus up and running.

Thank you for helping me with the bloody obvious :wink:
I saw “Restart”, but did not think about the pull-down arrow. (sigh)

Something to be aware of: whenever Roon Server is restarted it will do a complete rescan of all your watched folders. Connected remotes will show the Roon ‘Jellyfish’ logo during this time for a while. How long this takes will depend upon the size of your music collection and the speed of the storage medium.

Yes, thank you for the additional info.

That is sort of the point as to why I asked my question.

I and others have found that if one does a vary large file move into a watched folder, the Core can sometimes get a little mixed up by importing partial albums incorrectly.

Better to shut the Core down, do the big transfer, then restart Core and let it rescan watched folders after all is done.

Fine, it wasn’t obvious why one would want to do this, but yes, that would be a good reason under the circumstances.

Paul, can you elaborate? I use a Roon Rock local Storage as my only watched folder. That said, I import boxsets ‘live’ without negative consequences. Sometimes an the boxset undergoes several metamorphoses as the importing/changing process progresses, but it settles down in pretty quick order. My experience anyway.

He may be referring to this issue?:

That problem report was mine.
But it was very special: I commonly import small volumes of data without any problems.
But here I set up a new machine and flooded it with 2,000 albums at once. Got confused.

Then I did it again, with this simple technique:

1. Turn of Roon
  2. Copy all the data
  3. Turn on Roon.

It absorbed 3,000 albums, including Tidal, in maybe 15 minutes with a problem (i3 Nucleus).

I can’t tell from post whether Anders’ actual files were corrupted or whether Roon’s interpretation thereof was corrupted.

I have often had an import appear as two or more albums. Often the problem corrects itself with the next maintenance scan. More often I’m impatient: I just Merge the pieces, and that works (usually). I have not detected any permanent damage from a bulk import. If it was just aborted processing, a rescan should clear that up.

Talking from my experience and not as a programmer or authority.

I don’t want to appear as advocating against good practices. It’s always a good idea to reduce multitasking when doing something large and important.

@AndersVinberg
Is there a typo in your post “It absorbed 3,000 albums, including Tidal, in maybe 15 minutes with a problem (i3 Nucleus)”?
Do you mean “… without a problem…”?

The music files were not harmed, Roon never touches them.
The database had lots of errors, several hundred fragmented albums. And when I manually fixed them, by selecting the two album fragments and Edit/Merge Albums, the result got the wrong import date (so I had to set Prefer File Modified Date), and lots my Tags and Favorites. Got very old.

Much better to redo it right.

Yes, see the post from Anders.

When moving large numbers of tracks, if the Core decides to start updating its database in the midst of a big move, it does not always recognize whole albums. Some songs may end up on one album, some on another. Eventfully it may work itself out. But I am not that patient :wink:

I have found it simply more expeditious to shut the Core down before doing any mass amounts of file manipulations on watched folders. That way, file data is static when the core comes back up and re-indexes itself, and everything is correct right away.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.