Two albums displayed in Roon when one is added to library

@support

I’ve noticed this happening lately since March 19th. Albums I add to my library are displayed in Roon with a duplicate that has no playable file.

Roon Support, I made a video to show what’s happening.

HI @jlo ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The vide example is very appreciated!

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you for the following information:

• Please provide the make and model of the device hosting your Roon core.

• Please verify where your musical collection is being stored/accessed from.

• If you pull up the file info for on of the mentioned duplicates, what is displayed as the file path? A screenshot of this window would be great.

-Eric

Here’s the screen shot.

The core is on an Apple Mac Mini (2014), 2.6.GHz Intel i5 processor, running Sierra 10.12.3. The music library is on the machine as well. This computer is dedicated to Roon.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions @jlo, the feedback is greatly appreciated!

Moving forward, I setup a test core this morning to check if I happen to see the same behavior on my end. I setup a test core on a MacBook Air (w/High Sierra)(Build 310 v1.4) and used a Nexus 6p as my remote. I have been periodically adding new albums to the watch folder I setup for the last 2 hours roughly and have not encountered this behavior.

A few thoughts continuing forward based on my findings…

• The MacMini has an SSD installed for Roon?

• I understand that restarting the core brings the newly added content out of this “duplicated” state, how about forcing a rescan of the watch folder?

-Eric

No, my Mac Mini is a conventional drive.
Unfortunately, the rescan didn’t work.
I added new recordings. Same situation. At first the albums showed up but failed to load. Then a new batch of the same albums appeared that can play. The unplayable albums that show up in Overview cannot be deleted.

Thanks for touching base with me @jlo, the insight is very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I am going to be enabling diagnostics on your account so we can have a closer look into this behavior you are experiencing. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core device a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers. I will be sure to confirm when the report has been received so you know it’s with us :+1:

Additionally, can you tell me based on “track count”, how big your musical collection is?

-Eric

Hi @jlo ---- Letting you know that the mentioned diagnostics report has been received and is being prepared for our tech team to evaluate.

Once the team has completed their analysis and your ticket has been updated, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you asap. Your patience during this process is very appreciated!

-Eric

Thanks Eric. It appears that Roon has now re-added the whole library with what look like duplicates of all the albums. When you click on the new albums they fail to load. And they can’t be deleted. The track count currently is 58,054.

Hi @jlo ---- Thank you for touching base with me and sharing this latest observation you have made. The insight is appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles.

I brought this observation up to the team this morning during our weekly support meeting and they have asked if you could please share a screenshot of your “storage” tab in Roon. I will be on the look out for your follow up.

Thanks again, jlo!
-Eric

I’ve been traveling and your reply slipped through the cracks. Here’s a screen shot of the storage tab.

Unfortunately, Roon is now adding a third version of albums which have files that don’t exist.I also added new music and only a few albums were double added (the real album and the version without real files). But, a number of albums were added only as albums without files.

At this point Roon is becoming unusable. Do you have any insights on what I should do? Is there a way to re-install without losing all the work I’ve put into the library?

Hey @jlo – can you find one of the duplicate (or triplicate :wink:) albums, pick a track, and View File Info on each copy?

A screenshot of the various paths will help us understand what’s going on here.

Thanks!

Here are screen shots of the file info for a file and it’s double. The real file is this one.

And here is the fake one.

It does appear the “Music” folder is missing in the latter screen shot of the fake file. When I look the song up in the finder, only one exists. Here’s the file path:

Hi jlo,

Have you tried to see if the situation might be caused by dropbox. You could disable the dropbox storage location. Create a new TEST folder in a non dropbox)location, copy a few tracks to that location and then add it as a Roon storage location and see if creates duplicates.

I’ll try that.

Just remember to Disable, not, Remove.

You could be on to something. It worked. I’ll bring this issue up to Dropbox support. Obviously I need to pursue how the settings might be affecting this. Perhaps a constant sync doesn’t work.

Excellent suggestion here @Rugby!

@jlo I had discussed your report with Mike a bit this morning and was wondering if perhaps there is some kind of reference file being generated by dropbox that is causing multiple “copies” of the same album to appear on import. Has Dropbox support been able to offer any insight?

-Eric