Two mac books one core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ethernet to Lumin D2 then currently running Roon Core on a mac book over wi fi back to Lumin

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lumin D2 ethernet to internet and wi fi to my Roon core

Description Of Issue

I would like to dedicate an older mac book pro to install Roon Core with an ethernet cable to my streamer. My question is regarding using a second mac book pro just as an interface with the software. Can I do this or do I need to use a tablet for the user interface instead. Trying to understand if you can have Roon without the core on a second mac book if that makes sense.

Yes, any Mac on the same network as the core can be used to control Roon. See: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/architecture

P.S. Just make sure your “older” Mac is up to spec to run Roon core: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-what-are-the-minimum-requirements

Thank you. Just to clarify, if I am moving Roon Core from mac book 1 to mac book 2, under Settings, General, I would then “Disconnect” the mac book 1 from running core, install core on mac book 2 and but still be able to use Roon just as control software on mac book 1.

Yes, that is correct!

Please make use of the knowledge base before you start Migration of your core!
If there are specific questions arising after you studied the guide, you’re welcome to come back for help

1 Like

thank you!

Hi @gerard_bodell,

I just wanted to check in and see if you were able to get migrated properly to your new machine. If you have any questions please let us know!

Hi Dylan, thank for following up. When I logged out of Roon Core on my existing mac book, I was still unable to install Roon Core on the mac book where I was trying to move it to. I continued to get the message saying I could only have one core. Maybe it takes some time to recognize I’ve logged out? There was an option to deauthorize my existing mac book but that did not feel right since I still want to use it to control the software. So, I got nervous and aborted.

@gerard_bodell
If you have two Cores and one license, you have to de-authorize one to use the other and vice versa.
This is normal and non destructive, but be aware that using one core changes are not applied to the other.
To be able to move between one and the other without fragmenting, you need to backup and restore every time.

Hi @gerard_bodell – Unauthorize is what you’ll want to choose here. The MacBook is authorized as the Core currently, so unauthorizing will allow the new machine to be the Core. You can still use that other MacBook as a remote even after unauthorized.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.