U-DAC8 multi-channel query

Could any tell me if the U-DAC8 could be used (connected to a NUC ROCK) to do multi-room audio.

Can Roon see it as 8 channels and can you route/group zones?

I have a nu-force 8 channel power amp to use for some ceiling speakers/garden around the house so not critical listening.

Thanks all.

Hi from a fellow user not familiar with said DAC, but 99.99% sure that you can not setup independent zones.

A nudge if anyone else has experience. I know you can route the outputs to facilitate an active crossover.

I have just bought one of the USB-Phono dacs (like apple headphone adapter) to see if I can run multiple dacs from my core as these are about £10 each.

Yes, sure you can route a stream to, and separately DSP, all output channels, but as I wrote above, you can‘t configure them as separate zones, streaming different content to them.

Yes, you can, as well as set them up as individual zones to stream different content to them - that is, until your core and or download speed run out of grunt to handle the demand.

Thanks Marcin, I guess the whole home audio thing for me is more about toggling on/off music in different zones rather than playing different streams. So all the music/radio is in sync where and if I want it.

But it sounds like the NUC - multiple dacs is probably the easiest and cheapest (considering I have a NUC and a iFi Zen dac already) a couple of £10 usb dacs for bathroom ceiling speakers.

The only thing the set up is missing (that a Wiim Pro would add) is the ability to send/share airplay streams for audiobooks/podcasts which would be great to have in the bathroom.

I will see if my NAS can download podcasts now Roon can handle folders it might be an easy fix. Or I might consider hanging a chrome cast or something budget of a RCA input so I can choose both.

The expensive option for doing everything is the NAD CI580, I have started a new thread about it as it seems they have broken Roon Ready and it doesn’t work well, but the info is a little old now so it may have been fixed.

So this seems to work fine. £7 dac. A quick A/B I can’t hear much difference between this and the £160 iFi Zen Dac Mk2

Should be great for ceiling speakers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CB3KDXG7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 Like