Unable to Connect to Nucleus+ (ref#P2KQ49)

Sorry not very technical - ill do my best to describe - I have a Mac Mini - and a Nucleus+ as my Core which I have hard wired to my Orbi Mesh Router. Worked flawlessly for years until last week. Now, I am unable to connect to the core. Roon attempts to connect for 10-15 minutes, is “successful” for a few minutes…then ‘crashes’ (The dreaded ‘trying to connect’ blue circle appears) and attempts again. I have powered/rebooted the mini and nucleus and routers several times, and I have accessed the nucleus through my browser and have reinstalled the op system, software and database - and the versions of roon are current. I have combed through the help boards and have unchecked the box to disable my IGMP Proxy settings - no help. I have noticed that there is a message that the “Metadata Improver” is “Paused” so I wonder if there is an issue connecting to the cloud servers - but I have great WiFi throughout my home - and my entire backhaul is wired.

Hi @MJ_Hoffman,
Thank you for reporting this issue to us. Can you connect your nucleus to a monitor with an HDMI cord and share a screenshot of what you see? This will help us determine whether the issue lies in hardware or elsewhere.

Yes I can - fwiw - I don’t think it’s the Nucleus. I am having the same problem when I attempt to run the Roon Server from my Mac Mini (where I have an older small library) - the blue circle spins indicating “adding music to library” but tracks aren’t added or identified.

The metadata improver remains paused, but the “scanning now…” counters continue to climb.

I disconnected from all services (Qobuz, Tidal) but that didn’t help. After about 10 minutes, the screen flashes, then “waiting for your roon server” reappears followed by “something is not right” and that back to square one.

Let me know what screen shots u would like to see (I have current versions of Roon and Mac OS installed)

Hi @MJ_Hoffman,

Thanks for the additional information. I see three different Roon Server devices on your admin - the mac, the nucleus, and a sonic transporter.

Do you experience the same issues when you use a completely fresh database? I’ll list out the steps to test this out below:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Roon Server” and connect to the new database

Don’t restore from your backup. Only add content from one of the streaming services and test out performance.

Thanks for replying Benjamin - I did as instructed - still issues. Even with the “new” database", the Nucleus+ started to work, then crashed again (I had a browser opened to the WebUI and the Server Software would run for 5-10 minutes…then crash and restart. This is AFTER I renamed the Roon_Server_old and created a new database.

FWIW - If I even attempt to authorize a diff roon server (the mac mini I use as a remote,m or the somic transporter I use in another location) - I have the same issues

UPDATE: I reset the entire database and settings as well from the WebUI and that seemed to “work” (?) When I click on the spinning circle I can see that it is feverishly rebuilding the database and adding music to the library - scanning and importing. The screen flashes from time to time but the server software has yet to totally crash - I expect the rebuild of the database to take a few hrs - I will add a comment when it is done.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @MJ_Hoffman,

I wanted to check in and see your current status, let me know how things are running!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from [Unable to Connect to Nucleus+ )

Thread w Benjamin was closed and I wanted to respond!

Yes I have had success in the massive rebuild AND have found the culprit. I think at least. It appears when I use my mac mini as the remote, even though the Nucleus+ is hard wired to my LAN network, if I am running a video streaming website or Slack, the problems are severe. This WASN’T the case for many years, but certainly is the case now. Since removing these apps from my desktop (Slack being the worst offender) I have been fine since the rebuild of my database. Bummer I lost my tags and playlists but cest la vie. Curious if you have heard of similar issues from other users, and certainly add my troubleshooting fix to your FAQ! -thx!!! Jeff

Hi @MJ_Hoffman,

Thanks for the status update!

That said, you do always have the option to restore your database from your saved backup if you wanted access to your tags and prior library settings. Just be sure to save your new database as a backup as well incase things go awry and you want to get back to where you’re at now.

Did you have any changes to your network recently? Do you have the option to move your Mac onto a different wifi bandwidth within your local network? That may help based on your note above.

You should be able to access your device list from your network settings and review what wifi devices are using 2.4ghz vs 5 ghz.

None the less, I’m happy to hear you’re back with your music!