Unable to connect to Roon ARC - Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network

Roon Core Machine

i7 4470k
32 GB RAM
Windows 10

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Zyxel AX7501-B Router
10GTek 10 GbE X550-T1

Connected Audio Devices

Marantz PM 7005 USB

Number of Tracks in Library

267 albums

Description of Issue

Hi,
I am having trouble connecting to Roon ARC as I keep getting this error:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“86.127.225.66”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}
despite enabling UPnP in the router:

or setting a manual Port Forwarding rule in the NAT section of the router:

Any help would be appreciated as I would really like to start using Roon to listen to music on the move.

Thanks

I have the same problem with a Huawei 4G CPE PRO2 modem. I’ve followed the same steps…

Same for me. I have a CenturyLink 3000Z modem, core is on Mac Mini (late 2012) with Catalina.

Same error message here (“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”). I tried enabling UPnP in the router and the doing port forwarding.

couple of things to check/try:

1. make sure the port is still 55000. on mine, it changed on me to 55002
  2. set the protocol to TCP/UDP

Find the port that needs to be forwarded in Roon: Settings → Roon ARC. 55000 is not ‘default’, mine is completely different (probably randomized). That’s the port that needs to be forwarded on the router.

Your Roon Core is installed on a Windows 10 machine, which probably has its firewall enabled. Does it allow incoming connections from that port? One test (entirely at your own risk) is to disable Windows Firewall for a (very) short time. Much better is to create a Firewall rule which accepts incoming connections on that port.

There are websites out there which can check if a port is open. Canyouseeme dot org is one of them. You need to perform the check on the machine where your Roon Core is installed and active. Usually your external IP is already filled in. (The website knows your external IP, since that’s the IP which sends the requests to the webpage). If the test fails, Roon ARC won’t work, and something is wrong with the port forwarding / firewall configuration.

Thanks to both @kayakerf and @Chris_Roon for your replies.

I did try turning off the Windows Firewall, recheck that the port shown in Roon is 55000 and used canyouseeme to confirm the port is still shown as closed. Yet I think I found the reason why I can’t connect.

It seems my internet provider (DIGI) is using CG-NAT which if I am understand correctly bundles together multiple users under the same IP so it basically has its own NAT at the provider level which I can’t interact with.

Supposedly if I pay an extra euro to the provider I will be removed out of the CG-NAT and then the port opening should work (here is a link and another link about this in Spanish). I’ll call them this week and let you know if it worked.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Alfonso_Campos ,

Thank you for your patience while we’ve diligently worked to reach every request for support with port forwarding.

Have you been able to reach out to the ISP, and if so did removing the CG-NAT resolve the issue? Do let us know when possible!

Hi @noris,
I was just about to reply back.

This afternoon my ISP took me out of the CG-NAT and it finally works:

I am using a Zyxel AX7501-B Router with DIGI ISP from Spain and in this router Port Forwarding was not enough, I also needed to redirect the DMZ to my NAT IP for it to work. I will try Port Triggering too as it seems that might be a more secure alternative if I understood it all correctly. The UPnP-NAT is also activated but still I needed to use the DMZ for whichever reason.

I tried connecting from my mobile through Roon Arc - using 5G so I am outside my NAT - and I was able to reproduce a couple of local-stored songs from my old band, so it sure did work!

Thanks for the support and keep up the good job!

PS If anyone knows how can I make it work without the DMZ or why is not enough with the UPnP-NAT let me know - I might be missing something with this new options

PS2 How can I exit Roon Arc from an Samsung 22 Ultra? The Roon Arc overlaps the on-screen buttons for menu or return… I can’t get out!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.